Will it work? Will it sell? BornSharp - self sharpening, 2000 shave razor blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PogonotoMe, Nov 17, 2013.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    At 2 min. per use per day, the motors will see almost 61 hours of use over 5 years. I expect the motors will be fine for several decades of use.

Edit: a hand cranked version would appeal to you guys more? Advertise it as a travel version for $100 less and you would be all over it?

...I don't think so.

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Does this unit plug in or is it a rechargeable battery? I use a beard trimmer for my goatee and have to replace it yearly because the battery loses its ability to keep a charge. I just don't see this as a winning combination and I think a manual version would be better than technology doing everything for us.

3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Plugs in.

Williams Warrior likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very interesting. But it's not for me. I like the idea of switching my razors up. This would end up like all the other gadgets I buy. In the landfill.

5. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I was thinking the razor could be sent by the company, freshly honed, which would include the UV treatment. But I see now, that's not the same as being able to put a fresh blade in.

6. PogonotoMe

PogonotoMe New Member

In a few key ways, one five year blade is quite different from a fresh blade whenever you want. In some ways the 5yr-blade is much more convenient: you never need to buy them, never need to carry them, store them, find, remove and install them with the possibility of dropping or cutting oneself, keep track of how many times you've used it. On the other hand, you do have to wait two minutes to get a fresh edge, and if you're shaving lots of yourself, where you might go through several blades, that could slow you down. And, relying on the UV light alone I wouldn't want to share the razor with anyone else. I'd feel compelled to use some serious disinfecting bath -- but of course, if you're going to share a razor, you'd do that anyway, although with a new blade. It certainly seems like it may be greener than replaceable DE blades: one piece of metal, seems greener than as many as 1,000, for instance if you use Feathers, which some replace after two shaves.

7. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Looking at the patent drawings BornSharp seems overly complicated. Adjusting via the grind is inefficient and going to wear the blade down quickly. Rolls or Valet razors were affordable with IMO a better design in the self-sharpening segment and they didn't survive against the Gillette replaceable blade model.
    So to answer your original questions...
    Will it work? Sure it will, I don't know how well it will work.
    Will it sell? It won't sell to the masses. I suppose it could appeal to a few people cruising a Hammacher Schlemmer catalog or who wants an RDFI chip in their razor.
    This type of razor isn't for me at any price point but if it can get someone else excited about shaving then I'm all for it.

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The owner contacted me. We're trying to set up a time to talk. One question I'll be sure to ask is why he decided to go with a proprietary blade rather than a standard de, se, or injector blade.

Tdmsu and feeltheburn like this.
  9. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Active Member

The reason I switched from cartriage to DE shaving was to return to a level of simplicty and commonsense that existed in the past. Savings on DE razors vs. cartriages was also considered, but for me I love changing my blades, it's a tactile connection to the past. As such, I'd have zero interest in this new toy razor.

As a professional marketing guy, I'd say they did it backwards, in that they made unvalidated assumptions on what the market wanted and was willing to pay, and then developed a product, and then went to see if the market was interested. That's ass backwards.

Any marketing professional would tell you, first you confirm what the market wants by determining their pain points, then you look to see if anyone else is addressing those pain points, then you determine the dollar and time value someone puts on those pain points, and then build your value proposition, and ONLY then do you develop a product that speaks to these pain points. For example, for $10 you can keep your existing razor a little longer with the Razor Savor on Amazon.

These fools have done it backwards, and made a product that addresses a non-existent pain point (ie. a new razor is a pleasure, not a nuissance) at a price that fails any test of value proposition. It's no wonder they're struggling for funding and creaping this forum for ideas.

Tdmsu likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    They are not creeping this forum for ideas.

They might have been better off if they had, though. A new single edge razor design (that used SE or DE blades) might very well have been an instant success on the traditional wet shaving market. I am a Marketing director for the company I work for, and I can assure you that the average wet shaver is not the targeted audience. I'm not sure how you missed that.

I'm currently writing an article on this razor, pointing out both it's pro's and con's (from a wet shaver's perspective) and will hopefully get it posted here by the end of next week. Whether this razor is a commercial success or not, it still deserves, at the very least, a footnote in the history of razor design.

Tdmsu likes this.
  11. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Active Member

I suggest including a review of the value proposition.

Well yes, there is that. I'm sure the Flowbee seemed like a great idea to someone.

12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I guess you missed the article on the front page of the forum? I thought I did a pretty good job of addressing the razor's value proposition.

One of the things that was discussed was the blade life. The inventor was confident that the blade would last 7 years or more, but wasn't 100% sure of that (the razors were still being stress tested at the time of our conversation). While interesting, I didn't feel that info should be in the article, since it was, at best, speculation.

Edit:
    By 2000, two million flobees had been sold, and they are still being manufactured today... so that was probably a poor analogy to use.