Will you buy the Mongoose?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Sep 7, 2014.

?

Will you be buying the Mongoose?

1. Yes, I am drooling at the thought of a modern, SS SE razor!

15 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. No. Not at $149/not interested

65 vote(s)
    70.7%
  3. Yes but only the head when that option becomes available as I want to use it on my own handles

12 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

That's my main issue with this and the Cobra. It makes no sense to me to spend all that time and money to design and build a razor around that style blade.

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Not a facetious question I promise - but which prototype/batch of the Mongoose did you try to be able to come to that conclusion?

Beardbgone and PatrickA51 like this.
  3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

My opinion isn't based solely on the price, I just think it's a solution looking for a problem to solve. I tried a Cobra for two weeks, thanks to a member of B&B who loaned me one to try. I didn't care for the handle design and I can honestly say that it didn't do anything noticeably better than a standard Schick injector or most of the ASR SE's.

I can still walk in local stores and buy injector and SE blades, I simply don't understand why the folks who designed this and the Cobra didn't build something around one of those blades and priced it more in line with what most guys are used to paying for razors at the local big box or drug stores.

SRNewb, BigT, PatrickA51 and 4 others like this.
  4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

We don't need to try a razor out before we decide to not buy it. Razors aren't automobiles. We won't get free test drives or low interest loans from Mongoose or Cobra.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I know people rave about the Cobra and I'm sure this one is nice too but for some reason I'm really not interested in trying one these Pro blade razors even at a lower price point.

6. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have to go along with what you said above.

7. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have a Weber and I would venture to say that I like it better than any of my other razors. I will also say here and now. The Above the Tie 7pc. Is over priced and over rated.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  8. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Saw the Video posted here and i have to say, that i find it really good. Looks very heavy and quality build. But the price is a bit too much...i think i can get nearly the same results with my Schick Injector. Or am i wrong? ;)

Boojum1 and Doryferon like this.
  9. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

NO as i see it,the price is very high,the handle looks slippery to my taste
    This razor can shave better than my modified Schick ?
    If someone who has them both says "yes" and the head will be available for reasonable price then i will try to buy it.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  10. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I think these blades are a bit different than other blades. Has anyone seen the video on You Tube where this guy has the long beard he has grown for 6 months. He proceeds to shave off the bird with a feather shavette which (I think) uses the same feather blades as the mongoose and the cobra. He doesn't trim the beard beforehand. Just splashes some water on and slices it off.
    I obviously haven't used every blade there is, but I can't think there are many razor blades that can do that. Also these blades are a little longer than a normal blade, so imho using a mongoose or a cobra could be a unique experience. As for buying one? If I had lots of money and could afford it, I would probably go for cobra just because I think the look, and build seems better.

11. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

This guy ? Sure have. I have not idea why he shaves without lather though.

12. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Yeah. Not buying.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  13. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I'm on the list for the 2nd batch. I'll be buying the head only. I already have a Cobra and King Cobra.

14. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

Nope, as I've stated before ~I'm cheap. I normally won't spend more than $50 for a razor. I also don't like to spend more than $15 on a cream, and maybe $20-$30 on a brush. Every so often I'll part with the money for something that I really want, but 90% of all the expensive shaving related items I own were given to me.

SRNewb, BigMark, 178-bplatoon and 2 others like this.
  15. No

Boojum1 and BigT like this.
  16. Not to sound like a jerk but I am in J-Mans category. I recently acquired a coveted FB for $25 shipped - a little brassy but it cleaned up and works Great!

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've done exactly that (shave with no lather), with only water— just to see how the blade feels and the effectiveness of the razor (using a newly-honed, very sharp straight razor). Three-day growth.
    Very close, one-pass shave resulted. I wouldn't care to repeat the process sans cream or soap, and I certainly wouldn't do it with a DE razor.
    My sensitive skin can't handle no lubrication on the face for repeated passes.

Re: The Mongoose— I can see this razor reaching a similar audience as the Cobra (for those seeking out a quality stainless that happens to be a single-edge.)

Slow Joe, Boojum1 and BigMark like this.
  18. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

I have done the same in the Army but with 1 day beard only
    I use my saliva,yes i know it's not good but i had to do it due an emergency situation.

19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

:signs011:
    And like Tom, it's not just the money issue either. The inconvenience of having to order those specific blades is a drag....and I am in love with the shaves I'm currently receiving from my Eversharp-Schick which I have a lifetime of blades stockpiled and various ASR razors that I can buy excellent blades for in walking distance from my house...

If someone wanted to make history with a modern SE, which I do think is a noble and fine idea...But why not build it around a blade that is easier for us to pick up? I believe I'm paraphrasing Tom here. But I'm sure his observations here are reflected within many of our own thoughts on this...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Boojum1, BigMark and 178-bplatoon like this.
  20. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    It is ironic that you mention it, Bird. After a few months delay (for no reason other than forgetfulness!), I finally sent a few example razors to machine shop #2. About six months ago we were kicking around ideas >here<. I still want to copy the Shake Sharp geometry to create a modern SE shaver that uses DE blades. smiley_drool.gif

The machinist received the razors yesterday. For comparison, I sent an EJDE89, a Gillette New, and the Shake Sharp. I am thinking of an angled 2 piece head that will mount on anybody's 10-32 standard handle. Operations add cost, but I would really like that blade centering ridge from the New. Then , with a well-centered DE blade locked in place, the cap could cover the blade ends (or tabs, or ears, or whatever you call them).

I heard that Kickstarter relaxed their rules from 6 months ago, but haven't verified (they disallowed a razor when I asked). However, their advice is to keep your sponsor level to no more than $40.00.

How's that for an idea and a price? <sigh> I just don't know if it is achievable...