Will you have better results if you shave every other day?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Dr. Fitness, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Dr. Fitness

Dr. Fitness New Member

Just wondering. I have a job/life that doesn't really require me to be clean shaven every day.

I skipped a day shaving, and seem to have better results then when I shaved every day. (I say "seems" because it might have just been all in my head)

If I do shave every other day, does it wear down my blade faster because the beard is thicker then if I shaved every day (I don't know. This may be another fact I just made up from thin air)

Also, shaving every other day saves money with blades as you are not using as many:D

2. Agitator

Agitator New Member

Hello Dr.Fitness!

I haven't got any scientific proof of it...but It works that way I guess.
    I shave myself every other day (if I don't need to do everyday shave)..and it feels better, and it is actually easier to get a close babe's butt shave. I would even say that 36 hours between each shave may be the best..more is too much.

3. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I shave every day. I have to be clean shaven for work, and work 4 days in a row, off the other 4. With the 2/3/4/5 bladed contraptions and canned goo I used to get serious burn and irritation with them. Since moving over to the more traditional style of wetshaving with a brush, soap/cream, and DE/SE/Straight, I find that I can now shave every day with no trouble at all. It did take me a while after switching to finally get in my groove, though....

In the end, for me, no I don't get better results if I shave every other day - my results stay the same. And I shave every day whether I have to be clean shaven or not. The goal should be to get great results every day and if you find you need to go every other for healing or something, then you're not quite there yet - even though you shaves may have already improved 10 fold since starting... If you don't have to be or don't want to shave every day, don't....

4. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

I like to shave every day, but sometimes let it go over the weekend. Results, for me, vary more on technique and hardware than shave timing. When I was a fusion user, every other day was as much as my face would stand. That's one of the reasons I like being clean shaven every day now...

5. Agitator

Agitator New Member

OK guys..i guess you're right. It's not about timing.
    I'm using DE safety razor myself..and already got through technique a bit, before/after steps and gathered products which seems to suit me. I don't get any troubles with everyday shaving...it's just still rather more comfortable to do it every other day for me. I have been doing traditional way of shaving for 4 months or so and I've still got things to learn...nevertheless I would never convert back to multiblade shaving.

6. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

Honestly the only times when a skip a day shaving is if I have really butchered myself by not paying attention to my technique. then I need to wait a day or two to let myself heal. After that wait my shave seems better since I have such a coarse beard that it irritates my skin when it grows out. My truly best shave have all happened on accident in that I have focused on technique and have gotten a very close shave. Instead of focusing on closeness and really irritating my skin. One thing that I did find out is that I have "thin" skin around my beard. I have to limit how many passes that I do or I will have a lot of irritation. In order to be able to do that I have to shave everyday. Don't know if that will help you or not.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Military (retired Air Force) required me to shave every day. I was using a Gillette cartridge and usually Colgate shave cream. Back then it was a "have to." I usually skipped the weekends and when ever I was on leave.

Now I shave everyday. I'm using a DE and loving it. Now it's a "get to." Work doesn't require it, but as middle management, I believe it's the right thing to do. Sunday's are church, and as one of the pastors it's only appropriate. That leaves Saturday. I still shave, because I want to. All shaves are three-pass. Fortunately I don't suffer any irritation. I attribute that to the fact I'm using a DE.

As far as wearing a blade out faster... I rank a blade based on number of shaves I get out of it, not how many calendar days it lasts, if that makes sense. Yea, if I shave every day it will wear out faster, but I don't believe for a minute it has anything to do with the length of your beard. The hairs get longer, not thicker.

8. Teiste

Teiste New Member

I have been shaving everyday since I was a missionary and used cartridge and brush soap/cream.Now that I have switched into DE sometimes I feel that I could even shave twice(mornings and late evenings) without risking my skin really badly.Even when I havent made good lather(last week for example) and get a bad shave I can feel that my face heals sooner than when I used multi blade cartridge so now I dont have any excuse for not being well shave.

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Many people can't shave every day due to slow hair growth or very sensitive skin, so that pretty much makes the choice for them. If I remember correctly though, didn't you buy 500 blades? If you get 3 shaves per blade, you're looking at over 4 years to go through them all, don't let the saving a couple of pennies dictate when you shave.

I was just wondering how you were doing the other day. How has the shaving been going? Has the superlather been working well for you? How about that Fatboy, have you got it down pat? We've been missing out on your progress.

10. magic

magic New Member

I can't wait for the morning to shave thats how its been since I switched back to DE shaving. Nothing like it. Get your technique down and you will be hooked for life:happy102

11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Even though I have sensitive skin and a tough beard, I can still get very good shaves every day. In fact, I love my daily shave.

12. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I typically shave everyday since switching to DE. No way in hell with a cartridge since I do have a light beard. I do however get better shaves after a couple days of growth though. With the cartridge I had no problem waiting but now that i enjoy shaving I have to do it everyday:)

13. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

The object of the game is to Enjoy Your Shave...

If you obtain a better and more satisfying shave by shaving every other day...Well then I'd shave every other day...

I happen to enjoy my daily ritual of shaving every day and I like being clean shaven so I shave every day as much as possible...

Whatever works for you is the what works for you...

Enjoy your shave... :D

14. Dr. Fitness

Dr. Fitness New Member

i will give you an update soon. I traded one of my boxes of 250 personna blades for a bunch of feathers.

i will update you soon

15. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Ah Feathers, that explains the money factor.

16. jasonlju11

jasonlju11 Member

My job requires me to be clean shaven every day as well (chef at hotel) I really hated shaving with the multibladed razors. Then one day I found this blog and others like it and learned about de shaving, something I was always curious about as a kid.
    Now I love it! and I look forward to shaving everyday because I'm still a noob and I learn something new everyday. and when I tried to go a day without I couldn't because I really wanted to shave!!

17. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

I shave every day when i am at home & almost every day when i am away. I am fortunate to have my technique "down pat" & the have the beard & skin type that i could also shave twice a day if i wished.

I find that when i miss a day my next shave always seems great, it is great too, but for me its the fact that i feel cleaner after i have shaved.

no, your blades will not wear down faster.

18. BullGoose

BullGoose Well-Known Member

+1 In a way the shave after skipping a day is more satisfying because there is a lot of foliage to mow down. However I cannot skip a day unless I want to look scruffy. I too have sensitive skin and a heavy beard and have no problems shaving every day with excellent results. I look forward to my daily shave and deciding what razor, blade, cream/soap and aftershave to use that day.

Prior to shaving with a DE and brush, I dreaded the daily shave.

19. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Don't think that I could skip a day and why would I want to its so much fun to shave with my straight I don't see any reason to kip at all. Why skip having fun.

20. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Hmm... well I would expect them to get longer rather than thicker.

Also, shaving every other day will only save you money if you are using disposable blades. I recommend something you can keep as sharp as you like for as long as you like :D