withdrawn

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by fram773, Mar 14, 2014.

1. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

withdrawn

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

30 DEs
    10 SEs
    7 str8s

Monday thru Friday - I work my way through the rotation of my DEs
    Saturdays - again, I work through the rotation with my str8s
    Sundays - yup, a different SE every Sunday

Have I forgotten how to use any one of 'em? Nope. Sure, every razor is just a tad different, but not so different that I would forget how to use it.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

As someone once said, "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Tdmsu, HolyRollah and swarden43 like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You forgot to add the legal disclaimer to the copyrighted phrase:

"This phrase is intended to describe, but is not limited to, the voluntary participation in the act of wet-shaving, heretofore implied the use of instruments deemed appropriate, but not exclusively, in the reduction and/or removal of hair growth, inclusive of all bodily areas susceptible to said growth, including sections described herein: head, face, arm pits, chest, and nether regions. Areas not outlined in detail are subject to inclusion, pending psychological evaluation of participants. Any usage of said phrase without the written permission of the copyright owner is forbidden by law and constitutes a copyright violation subject to local ordinances. Extensive use of this phrase may cause dizziness, headache, drowsiness, palpitations, anxiety, a rise in blood pressure, halitosis, and the heartbreak of psoriasis. If you experience a shave that lasts longer than 4 hours, consult your doctor immediately."

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    Timelord, Adonis, vwp528 and 7 others like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use 1 razor exclusively. Now every once in a while do I pull one off the bench? Yes. But I go right back to my razor. It's what works for me. Plus the Progress allows for me to have a close and comfortable shave.

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I think you forgot "hysterical pregnancy," but otherwise..... :D

7. swarden43

:happy088::happy088:

8. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

I tend to switch razors about every 12-14 days. I use a Crystal about 4 times, then a Voskhod about 4 times, then one of whatever other blade I have on hand. After this rotation, it's switch razor and repeat with the blade rotation.

This isn't a "hard and fast" rule, as I sometimes use a single brand of blade in multiple razors while I'm testing new razor/blade combinations or I stick with one setup, just because I don't feel like switching.

When I first started I used the 30-day rule. One razor, one brand of blade, one brush, and one soap, to get my technique squared away. I think I actually did around 45 days to finish up a 10-pack of blades before switching.

Like Steve said, there's differences, but they're not so big that I forget how to use any one razor.

9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

:rofl:

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Remember the 30 Day Rule really applies to people who are new to Traditional Shaving. That allows them to get technique down before branching off using other hardware. Experience individuals should be seasoned enough to have their technique down. I went through 13 straight days on one razor and one set of blades (no change) recently for testing. In many respects when testing a new item, the tester should use other items that are "tried and true" to allow the testing item to be the focus. I change razors and blades so frequently that optimal shaving is not always achieved but DFS and BBS is almost always achieved because of the pattern of constant change out has allowed me to develop a method that works well over a wide variety of hardware.

Fram since SEs and DEs are really different in terms size, angle, handle size, etc. If the SE (or DE) becomes a preference and it is used daily, the user will lock in and optimize to that system. The concepts behind The 30 Day Rule involve muscle memory and preference so you are getting into a groove much like golfers with the "special" set of clubs, or baseball players who want to use "one bat" exclusively. Most people actually want to be in that "groove" because the great shave is what they desire more than SOTD photos or testing regimens (which can get tiring at times). Now a different question I might pose for you narrows it further. Within the SE class do you have one go to razor?

Now I don't know how many have used "The Rule" but I have been told by many people who went the opposite direction that they wished they had used it upfront and some even went and tried it later to correct issues in their shave.

Badger-Face and Tdmsu like this.
  11. swarden43

I don't. See my answer above.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Going from SE to DE (or vice-versa) isn't not nearly a big a change-up as going from DE to straight. Using a straight razor, for me, is a significant alteration of my approach and technique. I find DE shaving significantly easier and faster. Now, to be fair, I'm a relative newbie to straight razors, so that may explain my situation.

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

For me approaches change when going from less aggressive to more aggressive razors regardless of type. I usually compensate with blades, and sometimes with the pattern that I shave with. Example with the Barbasol and R41 I will choose a smoother blade and instead of using a South to North shave, which for me is the most efficient, I will switch to a North to South to reduce efficiency for the sake of reducing the overall effects of the aggressive razor.

Now you did state that you find that the ER 1924 is a front runner in your go to razor search. What other SEs (other than the Push Button and Junior) have you used?

14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I don't switch everyday. I probably switch every couple days or so.

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If someone told you that you could not use the ER1924, of the ones that you have listed (including the Push Button and Junior) would be the next on your list that would be your prime choice or would it be a razor in a different class (what would that be)?

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Now, you might want to go a full week with the 1914 then a full week with the ER1924 to see if you can detect differences between the two using exactly the same blade, brush, soap, unless you have done that and know what the differences between those two are.

17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I only like having one blade active at a time and don't move them between razors. At most I switch razors every three shaves. Most times I am lazy and just use the same razor most of the time with a change here and there just to keep things wild and crazy.

dscaver and maltedmilk like this.
  18. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

My SEs and R41 tend to be used for one blade-run (3 shaves). The DEs typically get 2-3 blade-runs with the same razor, for convenience purposes mostly.

19. The_Dude_Abides

The_Dude_Abides Active Member

I have one Merkur razor and that's all I use. I think you do lose a lot of the finer points of a razor if you switch. That's why I use one razor, one blade, and one brush. My technique has greatly improved from the familiarity of these items.

20. swarden43

I won't argue that.