Wolfman razor not taking new orders for now

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Not 'news' really as James officially stopped taking new orders for about a month ago. The order freeze seems to still be in effect and is expected to last for at least several months.

Another interesting thing I notices is that if I read the site prices correctly it seems like razors have gotten a bit more expensive.

When I bought mine in May of this year I paid almost exactly USD 160

Looking at the site now, a dual-comb head will set you back CAD 175 and a WRH7 handle CAD 125.
    That translates to about USD 230

The increase in price came into effect on July 1st and James explains as per below;
    ==================================================================================================================
    "Why increase the prices?

- To allow for new projects to take place. Higher prices should reduce demand, freeing up the machines for new designs.

- To allow for personal service. Customers have indicated that they prefer a razor made exclusively for them. Custom handles, blade geometry, custom engraving, etc. This can and should be done. The goal is to listen to suggestions and requests, and accommodate them whenever it is possible.

- To allow more time to improve surface finishing and quality. Machining is only half of the job. The hand finishing is extensive to bring out the best quality finish on every surface possible. This is not the same as mass production and should not be done in a hurry. Output will be 300-600 per year.

All those who have emailed to reserve a razor before July 1 2015 will not be affected by the price change"
    ==================================================================================================================

Very happy I got mine when I did. It's really a fantastic razor and with only 300-600 made/year I'm even more happy to have one now...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

40+ % increase in price, that will definitely lower the demand. Feels a little counter productive. If you have a product with high demand you can make money that way. No need for an increase in price like that.

How many costumers of all those razors he sent could have asked for a razor exclusively made for them? They must have big egos HAHAHA

tuxxdk, Billyfergie, Darkbulb and 2 others like this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

If you look at the BBS Razor made by James you will see that it has a similar price increase as well. I am glad I got my reservation in on May 6th.

Boojum1 and Darkbulb like this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy097: Well I have no reservation for a Wolfman :(. I couldn't afford one, even at the old cheaper?prices. I do however have a Stahly shave head coming and that will be good enough, especially for the price difference($25 vs $230)! :happy108:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Darkbulb, clint64 and Omelmad like this.
  5. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

wow, I think that might be the best looking razor I have seen. I think it looks even better than the Pils razor

Darkbulb and clint64 like this.
  6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

image.jpg
    No razor for you, but hey, how 'bout a Popsicle. The freezer broke and there melting all over the joint.

Kizurra, Slipperyjoe and Billyfergie like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That sounds like a bad idea. Raise the prices, stop production, with so many other top quality stainless steel razor manufacturers who are willing and able to provide a top notch razor today for $185. He may have sunk his ship.

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I just checked his page again and you're so close....it says
    "JULY 27 2015 UPDATE
    Orders placed between April 15 and May 1 are being produced now."

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ok, now you're making me feel bad that I had mine custom laser etched with "Darkbulb rulez!"

178-bplatoon and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Omelmad

Hahahaha no you didn't!

Billyfergie likes this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yeah it's in gold, italics script on top of the head!

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

It's just my guess that the entire razor production only represents a portion of his business and he has other portions that require his attention as well.

RaZorBurn123 and Darkbulb like this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

+1
    That, and that even though we view it as a successful business I'd wager that it's not near the quantities where it would make sense for him to bring on an extra person to help out w/ the manufacturing. Also...wouldn't we still want James to be the guy making them? :)

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Even at the new prices he indicated his production would be 300-600 razors a year. 600 at $230 each is only a gross of $138k. If you have viewed pictures of his shop, he has a ton of money tied up in CNC machines. A prudent business person would have a non niche market to support that capital outlay. Again just a guess on my part.

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I will chime in, although I don't know if this had anything to do with Wolfman. When making things by hand, there aren't really shortcuts or economies of scale. With my leatherwork, if I make ten belts, each belt costs me the same in materials to make and takes the same amount of time. The belts cost me the same if someone orders one or one hundred. When setting a value for a hand made item, there are two big factors. The first is production cost, and the second is percevied value by the consumer. There are all kinds of great ways to figure out what the price point should be based on time and materials. However, if this is out of line with the perceived value, the item either won't sell enough or will sell too much. Many craftsmen make something, run through the time and materials formulas to figure out a price, and think its too high, so they undervalue thier work. If they want to be able to continue to produce what they are making long term, the price may need to be adjusted. One old saddlemaker told me the sweetspot on pricing for handmade stuff is when a customer, says "Ouch, that's expensive" as they reach for thier wallet becasue they have to have it.

Its a hard line to walk for handmade goods.

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Darkbulb like this.
  17. Omelmad

NO it's not hahahaha you are messing with me

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Givetvis :)

19. Omelmad

[​IMG]

No it's not! Hahaha @Darkbulb

Edit: inte alls

20. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

That's for sure....That's why I am sceptical about the New Injector the other day......:chores016:

Attached Files: