Wouldn't it make sense?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Steve C, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

Wouldn't it make sense, to use the same scented aftershave as the cream or soap that you used to shave with?

I wouldn't, for example, put Aqua Velva aftershave, over a Bay Rum shaving soap or cream.

Speaking of "scents," I've been partial to Old Spice products for many years. I haven't investigated what shaving soap for creams they may have but I suppose they probably do have some, right?

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It makes sense to me to match soap to aftershave or balm, however this isnt always possible.
    A lightly-scented soap (such as Mitchell's Wool Fat, for example) marries well with most any post-shave fragrance.
    Generally speaking, this is why I'll often purchase the matching balm when picking up a new soap.
    If an identical match is unavailable, I'll attempt to stay in the same family of fragrances (citrus, spice, woodsy, barbershop, herbal, etc) so as not to offend the noses I come in contact with following my shave.
    ;)

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  3. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Just ordered B&M Reserve Spice to match with my OS. I also have some Old Spice creams coming in from over seas. Stirling and Mama Bear makes an Old Spice scented soap.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

4. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

I just ordered from Amazon.com, some traditional Old Spice aftershave, and a tube of Old Spice shaving cream, to match up with my Old Spice deodorant.

Somewhere, and I think it was in here, I saw that one fella uses a small stainless steel dog dish to make shaving cream into a lather. Sounds like a great idea!

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  5. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

+1

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

If you have a lightly scented soap or cream adding a splash of aftershave lends the scent to your lather. I've haven't seen it do any negative effect to the soaps performance.

Alternative lather making receptacles? Yes! After purchasing my 3rd or 4th Old Spice mug I quit looking for them. Too small for my brush style of choice - Pro Barber boar types. A wider, more shallow bowl suits my lather making style. A Japanese spice grinding dish call a Suribachi has a textured unglazed inner surface that works great. They can be purchased locally, or from Amazon.
    Suribachi from Sparrow Black.gif

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Since most of the soaps I use rinse off pretty cleanly and don't really leave much scent, to me the choice of an AS is more of an experience/perception thing than actually pairing a scent. But yes, I like to at least match up generalized families.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have 30+ soaps. I can't afford to match.

My shampoo has a different scent than my
    Shower soap that has a different scent than my
    Shave soap that has a different scet than my
    Aftershave that has a different scent than my
    Cologne that has a different scent than my
    'Stache oil that has a different scent than my
    Pit stick.

My wife still tells me I smell good, and she's the only one who really counts.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  9. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I haven't used a soap yet that has a lasting scent. I match my soap and AS if I can, if not I use something complimentary.

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Makes sense? Not really. Nothing makes sense in TWS.
    By the time I rinse off my face/head, add witch hazel I'm scent free. Soaps aren't made to serve as an aftershave. I'd like to know where this amongst many other falsehood stories this came from.
    Traditional wet shaving has never been so complicated.

mrchick and Primotenore like this.
  11. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I haven't come across a soap that has a lingering scent to make a difference . Even TABAC, probably my strongest scented soap doesn't linger past the rinse and witch hazel.
    And I face lather now so can't help with the bowl question. When I did use a bowl when I started I used a couple different styles, but it's one more step in shaving another step in cleanup. But if you want to use a bowl, the one posted by @RyX would work well.
    I'm now a minimalist when it comes to shaving, hence my ease at NB 16 and 17. But I know TWS is a hobby/passion for many here, but I spend my resources elsewhere.

mrchick, RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Well said Steve. BTW, you smell great from my house...:happy102:

RyX, RaZorBurn123 and swarden43 like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Well, Sir, if you can smell me from your house, I am certainly glad I am not offensive! :D

RyX, Primotenore and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

I'm really working on becoming a minimalist. NB18 is right around the corner.

dbersh likes this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

"My wife still tells me I smell good, and she's the only one who really counts".
    Truth.

PickledNorthern, Jim99 and dustmite like this.
  16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Well, since I shave in the morning and then run out to catch the bus, it's the person sitting in the seat next to me that counts.

:happy102:

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

...and thus was born, "Mr. Potpourri" :D

RyX, dustmite and swarden43 like this.
  18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

From slobs like me who get it all over my T shirt and behind my ears, then rinse poorly relying on a good toweling off?

I do have a couple of soaps that seem to have really strong essential oil (???) in them and maybe don't rinse off so cleanly. It seems like I can smell them for hours. Stirling Ozark Mountain is one.

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Scent-matching aside for a moment, the broad and immediate availability of hundreds of shaving products ("just a click of a mouse/smart phone away!") to the consumer is unprecedented. One can strive to maintain a spartan approach to wet-shaving ("one man, one puck, one razor"), but anyone who does so is swimming against the preverbial tide of convenience consumerism.
    With this over abundance of goods and forum outlets in which to share ideas, things can get a little...complicated.

20. RaZorBurn123

That is very important. Nothing makes a bus ride hardier then the person sitting next to you with funk oozing out.

Jim99 likes this.