Wretched sideburns...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dapper-in-a-can-man, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Does anyone have the problem I am currently having with lining sideburns up even? It's driving me nuts!

2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

You might consider setting a tattoo on the required height... :innocent

fram773, Slipperyjoe and JRod22 like this.
  3. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Lazer-level. Works great! And, if you jack the power up a bit the laser itself will do the trimming... Seriously - just grab a point of reference. Most people have eyes or ears or what have you on each side of the face for ready reference - unless, of course, you've had a really horrific shaving accident. That could eliminate a reference point or two...

Slipperyjoe and macaronus like this.
  4. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

It doesn't even matter if they are perfect anyway. If someone is looking at you that closely they have issues. That is unless one is at the top of your ear and the other is at the bottom. Then you need more help than anyone here can give :)

macaronus likes this.
  5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

The other day, I was leaning into the mirror to see and got them all crooked. A DE does a good job of trimming them up though. Much neater than a cartridge razor.

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Due to binocular vision (at least most people having it) and paralax, you'll never get them perfectly equal. Take a point of reference on your face such as the top of the pinna (the triangular lump at the front of the ear) and do each side based on that. If they're horribly off, (your ears may not be perfectly even to each other), you can always fix them slightly.

Or... have someone else do them for you.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  7. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Sounds like a great idea. Get right angles around my burns

My wife is afraid to use my DE. I guess she thinks she will be performing surgery?

macaronus likes this.
  8. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

Sometimes I'll use a trimmer to even mine out. I have the luxury of using my glasses as a guide when I do this. They might end up a different heights, but they are even with the are of my glasses and I doubt anyone would notice if they are crooked

9. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I shave my head. Problem solved. ;)

macaronus, jeraldgordon and Troy M like this.
  10. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Mine are starting to disappear from the constant re-trimming..:angry032:.I used to have such nice long Elvis side burns..:(

11. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

No. I've always kept my sideburns at the same length - about 2/3 the way down my ear. It's so ingrained in my muscle memory at this point I really don't even need a mirror! :happy108:

Just stick with it and you'll get 'em straightened out in no time.

12. Dapper-in-a-can-man

I am. I like em going down to my jaw, it's just getting the depth right.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

When you say depth, are you talking length of the hair?
    If so, I have a Whal beard & moustache trimmer that comes with 3 different length attachments.

14. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Sorry, I used the wrong word :/ I meant width. Angle as well.

15. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Man I jacked mine up horribly! Okay well, not horribly. I kept watching the width dwindle and dwindle so now I'm about to look like a burly burned sap for a week or 3 until I'm satisfied to fix em again. :mad: