Yardley Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DaltonGang, Jun 30, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Wal-Mart, CVS Pharmacy, Walgreens Pharmacy, HEB Grocery.
    The Wal-Mart was by far the least expensive, for the regular pricing.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you! :happy088:

3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Dollar tree has them as well

Norcalnewb and DaltonGang like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've seen it at ShopRite.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  5. Jorvaljr

Found at my local $.99 store and it smells fantastic. They had 4 scents to choose from.
    image.jpeg

DaltonGang and Norcalnewb like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

So I tested lathered the yardly and it's super slick.. The scent is wonderful.. The downside... The lather was disapating rather quickly ... I'm going to have to test some more.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Norcalnewb likes this.
  7. swarden43

Yup. Thus is the difference between bath soap and shaving soap. While bath soap can be used to shave, I'll stick with soap formulated to shave with.

John Beeman, DaltonGang and Jorvaljr like this.
  8. DaltonGang

I was about to post my experience too. As @Jorvaljr says, the fluffyness does lather quickly, especially when straight shaving. But, on the positive, it remains very slick, even after the fluffy goes away. I did a single full pass with a straight, with no negative results. The remaining two passes were with Arko. Afterward, no irritation.
    End result, if you just care about slickness, use the Yardley bar soap. If you need some fluffy cushion, then this isn't for you.
    As much as I preach about soaps needing to be slick, rather than fluffy, I need some fluff, if only out of habit.

9. Jorvaljr

Were you able to melt it down? I wonder if we got half hardley and half arko...

10. DaltonGang

I haven't thought of that . But, I'm sure the Arko scent would overpower the Yardley I'm afraid. I guess, for me, this was a "pipe dream".

11. swarden43

If it has tallow, it won't melt very easily at all.

12. DaltonGang

It's tallow based.
    What is added in soaps that make the lather last? The slickness remains, but the fluff dissipates. :(

13. swarden43

gotta ask a soap maker. I have no idea.
    @Sara-s ? @Queen of Blades ?

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I am not an expert on the chemistry. But my best shave soaps have goat milk.

DaltonGang likes this.
  15. Jorvaljr

So last night I melted some yardley and arko. 45 second blast in the microwave melted the soaps fairly well so they were pliable. I pretty much smashed the soaps together just to mixed the two soaps. I know the real way would be to almost liquidfy the two and combine but I didn't want to get all crazy on the stuff. I was just doing a little portion of each.
    The result was a soap that smells like arko but has the yardley slickness. No most of the lather fluff came from the arko portions that are surrounding the yardley. But I'm so glad the brush is able to pick up the slickness as well.
    My shave this morning was great. I can feel the slick layer the brush was leaving between each pass..

DaltonGang likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

I'm thinking a double boiler would be better at melting this stuff. I mix essential oils with my Arko, but I grate it first, and let it air out for a few weeks. I then nuke it about 10-15 seconds, then mix the oils with it. The tallow is a tricky thing to put in a microwave. It can easily get too hot, and be ruined.
    I will try mixing the Yardley with Arko, but I will first air it or and gray it. I will grate the Yardley too, but not air it out. Then I will use a makeshift double boiler, and see what happens. Then, if it melts, I will add some lavender oil, and kick it up a notch.

17. shaveslave

shaveslave Member

suggestion-grate both of them up, then mix the gratings and add a little water and mash the mixture into a container.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  18. Jorvaljr

So I grated the whole bar of yardley and the half stick of arko. I added some water and began melting it. 3 rounds of 30 secs. A little water each time. When it was all gooey I smashed and mixed together. Then I put it all into a small glass container and stuck in the freezer until it hardened approx 30 mins. I'll let it set until tomorrow and use it then.

image.jpeg

Linuxguile likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

Great thinking. Are you going to let it air out, and harden up?

20. Jorvaljr

Air out.. ? Lol I sense sarcasm... Not sure if I would like it to "green up"