Yes, TSD was really compromised.

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by sparky5693, Aug 14, 2016.

1. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Most of you know by now that late last night TSD was attacked by a hactivist group. During the attack, the forum software was used to send out a mass email. This email contained a link that I'm certain was up to no good. It took a bit, but we were able to secure TSD, and get things all sorted out. As soon as it was feasible, I sent out a mass email myself. Mass emails are something we rarely do, but this one was to warn about the first fraudulent email, and it is my responsibility to ensure this is done as timely as possible. The entire purpose of this hack was to advertise for the hactivist group, and to send out spam emails. Fortunately we were able to contain those emails, and stop them from further spamming our members. Some have asked... the store was unaffected by this, this breach solely affected the forum.

I'll spare everyone from the nerdy details, but things are more secure than ever now, and I feel we're solid. I've been through the server logs. Your accounts are all safe. Our email database was not stolen, as they used the server itself to send the spam.

We're secure now (as much as anything on the web can be), I made certain of it, and then I brought in a developer so that he can be sure of it too. The hardware and software have been hardened.

As admin, I myself apologize for the outage, and the hassle of that email originating from us.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Thanks, sparky!

Also of note, the forum software has been updated. So you might notice some new or different stuff. I'm excited to see multi-quote.

Bussemand, macaronus, Demidog and 6 others like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Great job fixing the issue so quickly!!! Bravissimo.

4. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Thank you for fixing this so quickly!

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Thank you for fixing it, Sparky...such a shame it happened. It's great to be part of TSD.

barbersurgeon and battle.munky like this.
  6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Great response! I've seen larger forums do worse slower :D

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Thanks for the update. Sounds like it's well under control as I knew it would be. Hacking a shaving site? They're bigger nerds than WE are! :lyrtuy5:

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Cheers to you @sparky5693 ! You do a jam up job on days we aren't hacked and an even jammier job on the days we do. Sorry you had to waste your time shoring things up because ass babies out there in interwebs land decided to pick us this time. You are the man, man!

Best forum EVAR!!!!

Demidog likes this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Thank you @sparky5693 ! We appreciate all you've been through today.

Demidog likes this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Multi quote is cooooooooooooool...... :)

RyX and ob1page like this.
  11. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear yall got things sorted out. It sucks that humanity has these Internet leaches (Pun intended) that think it's fun to mess with other people's websites and information. On a positive note, I like the new multiple quote button :)

12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you Sparky. That was a very quick recovery.

13. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update! Great work!!

14. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Is this why the site was down one morning last week and the week before? Today I had log in again and before that there was page link to Fathers Day thread hovering over the page on the top left. Logging back in seemed to fix that.

15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thanks for being on top of this Sparky. As a system admin myself I can appreciate the time and effort it takes to recover from an attack!

macaronus likes this.
  16. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Sparky! :happy088::happy088:

17. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Well done for the hard work ,thought all was going to be lost !!

18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    No, that was a separate issue.

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  19. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Thank you for all your hard work!

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Thanks for getting us back up & running!