Your all around "does it all" razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Jan 19, 2017.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

This is a tough list to compile because I was trying it on the drive home. Wanted to objectively (as possible) choose ONE safety razor that would meet the following specifications for a beginning shaver:

•Efficient shave
    •Ease of use
    •Reliability
    •Versatility
    •Blade availability

Once upon a time I would have chosen the Rolls, assuming the wedge, hone and strop were in fine shape. But it's not the easiest thing to use as far as maintenance goes, and that might put off a new shaver. At another point I'd have said the Shake Sharp, except that it's whole reason for being is geared much more for carbon vs stainless blades (imo). At yet another time, the Gillette NEW. Or the Trac II.

But none of these are my pick anymore. I will always have the softest spot for stylish DEs and a few uber-functional SEs but if I had to pick one razor that does all of the above, hands down I would go with the Schick E2.

1. Efficient shave? Absolutely. A comfortable BBS in 2 passes without fail if you want it, no matter what soap, cream or can o'foam you use. A deft hand that has learned this razor (and the learning curve is small) will avoid all nicks and weepers.

2. Ease of use? The angle is pretty much idiot-proof. Same cannot be said for DEs and even a few SEs. In fact, that was one marketing point for injectors way back when.

3. Reliability? They almost never fail because there's little to nothing to go wrong with basic, non-adjustable injectors. With common sense care, you'll wear out before it does.

4. Versatility? The heads on all injectors are generally small enough to trim perfectly around sideburns, shape goatees, etc, which not many SEs or DEs can do well, yet it's still wide enough to shave a swath just as large as a DE or SE. I really enjoy the mobility of the E2. Under the schnoz is never a problem. Also, the E2 has the swing-open lower "jaw" which allows you to shave off a goatee without choking the razor because you can just open it up and rinse it out. Loading loose blades, if you have any, is also a snap as it's done in pretty much the same way as you'd load an SE. A nice feature I always appreciate.

5. Blade availability? This would have been the hangup for injectors a few years ago, before someone introduced me to the wonderful Chinese Schick. That discovery led me to PIF my box of vintage and recent injector blades, none of which can compare in smoothness. And these blades are readily available lots of places.

So all in all, I would not hesitate recommending the Schick E2 with yellow pack Schick blades to a new shaver, provided I was able to share a few basic tips first.

Trying to be objective (I know, it can hurt when doing something like this) and keeping a newbie in mind, what would your choice be?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    RyX, preidy, Carbide Mike and 6 others like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I haven't kept track of all of the new products over the last few years. I have one modern razor, but the rest of mine are vintage razors. That said my choice for an all around razor is the Gillette Tech. It seems like they made millions of them over the years. Last time I checked, it was pretty widely available at reasonable prices. It is a mild shaver that is easy to use, but can easily provide a fantastic shave once good technique is developed.

RyX, preidy, Carbide Mike and 7 others like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The Merkur HD.
    Doesn't seem to matter what blade I put in it, always a great shave.
    I have achieved more BBS shaves with an HD than with any other razor I own.

Just my opinion.

Col C, preidy, Carbide Mike and 6 others like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

All opinions will be respected in this thread. :)

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thank you, kind sir. *a humble bow*

Carbide Mike, George X and gorgo2 like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

At one time I would take this opportunity to yell loudly about how nice the shave is with a progress. And i think id be right, Merkur believes in their product. Enough so its seen very little change in a while now.
    But the cost vs. materials, then longevity. I think the progress gives a very nice shave.
    To answer your question.
    I think the Gilette tech is the best bang for the buck. There found everyehere relatively easy and usually for a song. Their well made, break down to almost pocket size, take any blade (de of course), and are solid shavers.
    Any defficiency in shave is operator error, held properly, it'll leave the user smooth as glass.
    The quality ,perforrmance, and price of a Gillette tech is second to none. 20160930_074238_resized.jpg

RyX, preidy, Carbide Mike and 6 others like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I was always kind of meh about the Tech until I accidently obtained a Canadian one. I do believe it is slightly better than the ones I've used before, all of which were U.S. made. Maybe it's just my imagination.

8. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

For me, the simple answer is a vintage Gillette adjustable. I could shave with my Fat Boy every day for the remainder of my life. It is efficient and easy to use. I can set it at three or five and consistently get a great shave. It is also versatile as it can be set from very mild to fairly aggressive. And blade availability is wide spread, with many vendors providing blades.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Redrock, RyX, Carbide Mike and 3 others like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Good thread!

Based on the criteria you outlined above, I will say the PAL injectomatic. It's reliable, easy to use, nothing to break and very efficient. A close second is a 1940's super speed.

Only drawback with the PAL is the availability, cost and variety of injector blades. For the most part, there are two brands of blades and they're typically not available at your local chain drug store.

10. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I second the Merkur HD. Bought mine new in 2004 or thereabouts and use it regularly with consistently great results. Great shaving tool.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've read that the Canadian versions are more aggressive than the 'oh so mild mannered' U.S. made Tech razors.

12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I agree with the Tech being a great razor and I always get great shaves with mine, but for me, my all around would be my Fatboy because I get slightly better shaves with it when shaving everyday. And at times when going days without shaving, which really isn't a lot these days, I can just put it on a higher setting and it easily takes off the beard growth.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good call, but since it has a lot more bite than most any other non-adjustable vintage injector, would you feel comfortable handing it to a newbie? Not sure I could do that right off the bat!

Carbide Mike and Jim99 like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I apologize that the title of this thread doesn't exactly sync up with the point about noobs but I can't edit it.

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I am right there with you. For the longest I thought you had to use an aggressive razor if you wanted a great shave. Turns out it was just my technique that was lacking. I moved towards more mild razors and had a travel tech that my dad picked up for a quarter at a yard sale. I put it on a bulldog handle and got a great shave. I think a little added weight does a lot for these razors, but I don't notice much difference between the models. I like the post war version the best, but have been using a triangle slot one recently.

RyX, Carbide Mike, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  16. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I'd have to go with the Pal InjectoMatic in first, and a Schick G injector for a close second. My preference in blades is actually the Personna. I find them smoother than the MIC Schick's, and also much cheaper.

17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Good point about the newbie. Well, maybe if I didn't like the newbie very much, I would just give him one of my SRs!

:rofl:

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Smoother, eh?

*googles*

Carbide Mike likes this.
  19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You like the Personna blades better than the Chick blades too? Personna is a great blade and low cost. Only problem with those Personna blades is the garbage injector cartridge they come in!

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

[​IMG]