Your Favorite Cartridge Razor?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by PottyDoctor, Feb 5, 2007.

1. bravefish

bravefish Member

I like the Sensor and the Quattro.

Yesterday I shaved with a Quattro after months of not using any cartridge razors. I also used Barbasol foam (I hadn't used any stuff in a can for years) that my girlfriend keeps around - she's a 2nd grade teacher and uses it for cleaning desks. I had an excellent shave; BBS and irritation-free.

I did have a 3 day growth so that definitely helped. But I'm sure this was just a one time thing.

2. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Dorco Pace 6, just as good as a fusion and far cheaper. However I do have a Fusion Power (was good value in the UK as it came with the blades for 7 GBP) with some unused blades (expensive blades bought by the gf in nl - nearly 18 euros for 4) that I have to use up.

3. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Carts. don't bother my skin and shave me very decently, but they are a ripoff IMO and I quite sure DE shaves last longer on me.

What's more, DEs are pieces of art, not pieces of plastic!

4. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

I still have my fusion blades which I use to touch up. I would never buy anymore when this supply runs out.
    I have the Preserve handle and cartridges also that will become my go to when the fushion cartridges are gone.

5. tclevela

tclevela New Member

I've never owned a cartridge razor that impressed me.

But I do miss the Gillette Injector that I used during the late 70s through the 80s. But I fell for the advertising campaigns for cartridge razors and threw away the Injector.

6. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Wilkinson(Shick)FX Diamond.

7. blazkowicz

blazkowicz New Member

Just started shaving with a DE razor but before that my favourite cartridge razor was the Gillette Sensor Excel which I intend to use now while on short trips.

8. Trint

Trint New Member

Mach 3, because it is the only cartridge razor I have used in many many years.
    I will be used when the time is too tight for a proper DE shave.

9. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

I get about equal performance out of a Sensor Excel, Atra, and Trac II.

The Trac II is great for it's bare bones simplicity, and is probably closest to a DE (barring a SE disposable, but then they are too lightweight).

I think the pivot on the Atra is among the best ever designed.

Considering I am very budget minded, I would select either the Atra, or Trac II, as both have the high quality low cost Personna blades available for them. :D:cool:

10. omegapd

omegapd New Member

I've used the Atra, a 3 blade and Trac II. My wife liked the Atra so took it. I find that I get a better shave from the Trac II now..

11. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

In my estimation, they all work well but most are exceedingly overpriced.

I prefer fixed-headed, not-spring-loaded carts, as I feel they perform better than newer offerings (stiff, no give) so I'd go with a Trac II w/ an elegant handle.

...Merkur Satin Finish, and I'd load the baby with Personna Twin II carts.

12. Eric W. Ford

Eric W. Ford New Member

+1 and all that other stuff. I believe for wet shaving to be truly beneficial to everybody this line of thinking needs to be more prevalent.

13. bandit82ta

bandit82ta New Member

Gillette Sensor is my non DE fall back. If in a big hurry or travel with limited packing space.....sensor w/ brush and soap.

14. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Wilkinson Quattro Titanium when I´m on the road......

15. MaxP

MaxP Member

This is my travel setup as well.

16. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

:sihns011

17. robxcarlson

robxcarlson New Member

There are actually many different aftermarket Trac II handles available and you don't have to get one made by Gillette.

Here's a pic of the loading mechanism
    [​IMG]

and the whole razor
    [​IMG]

All Trac II's will have a loading mechanism like this which makes them very distinctive and easy to spot. This razor in the pic is a Schick Super II (same system) made by International Silver... You can get a Trac II on eBay made by Feather for less than $10 shipped or you can get original Gillette handles or many others. Merkur makes a very nice one also and there are vintage Old Spice Trac II razors floating around. Personna cartridges are better and cheaper than the ones made by Gillette.

18. damonsax

damonsax New Member

i have used gillette cartridge razors for 15 years. Machs and the Fusion. Great for a fast shave.

19. laberinto24

laberinto24 New Member

Looking back, I got some decent shaves from the schick quattro, provided I used a brush and shaving soap. These days I keep a few bic single or double blade disposables for those "I gotta be at work 10 minutes ago" days.

20. techni

techni New Member

I get on ok with either a fusion or a quatro when time is short on shaving time.