Your opinions on Schick Hydro 5 vs. Gillette Fusion Proglide

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by engrsaks, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

I broke out a new original-style M3 cart yesterday. I'd say it shaves about the same as the Turbo. If there are differences, they aren't so pronounced as to be obvious. One of these days, I'll try a Turbo next to an original and see how they compare.

Leo K. and engrsaks like this.
  2. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

I've tried all the Mach-3 cartridges. All deliver a good shave but none of those challenge Proglide in shaving smoothness.

Leo K. likes this.
  3. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Thanks Jerry, I bet I'll find that out too, that the differences between the base blades and the Turbo are not much.

Today I achieved another impressive shave with the base blades and now I'm learning that if I go north to south on my neck and jawline (avoiding the south to north action) I achieve a BBS without a hint of dragging or uncomfortable feeling. This is a new revelation in learning my Mach3 and the pursuit in getting the same BBS shave with three blades that I can with my Fusion (the the blades are a little more affordable). Aces!

Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  4. Jerry-built Hustler

What do you mean by "smoothness"? Are you referring to how your face feels after the shave, or the glide during the shave? I'm repeating myself, but in my experience, the high number of blades in the ProGlide creates greater drag than in the M3. In that sense, I would say the ProGlide is definitely not as smooth as the M3. As for final face feel, I'm probably not the best judge, since I can't go ATG, and therefore never achieve BBS with a blade. Basically, for me, the M3 and ProGlide result in the same shave. However, my face is more prone to bumps and ingrowns when I use the ProGlide. Combined with the extra cost, greater drag, and bulkier design, for me the ProGlide loses.

There may be something to Gillette's "shaving plane" theory that more blades more evenly distribute force. When comparing the M3 and the Sensor Excel, the Excel did glide a little bit better (again, I presume due to the lower number of blades), but it wasn't as comfortable in use as the M3. The blades felt a little sharper on the skin - as in, I felt them more; I don't mean they were more efficient at cutting hair. The Fusion may distribute force better still, but the trade off is excess drag. For my preferences, it seems the M3 may be at the tipping point of diminishing returns.

5. engrsaks

Mr. Nathan, by smoothness I mean how well the cartridge glides even on those sections where the hair growth is most dense. I don't know how to explain this, but the Proglide blade interacts least with my skin and most with my whiskers. Even if I repeat my strokes on one section, a dozen times, the blade just refuses to cause any irritation i.e. scrape my skin. Mach-3 is a good cartridge but feels sharp on my face and doesn't glide on heavy growth whisker sections. There is a section on my neck where whiskers are totally flat on the skin. Mach-3 just doesn't cut there and makes my skin irritated. With Proglide, I can easily use precision trimmer and take care of that section. :)

As far as sandpaper effect is concerned, it just goes away totally when I switch on the vibrator, hold the blade like a slant razor and make a brisk long stroke. :). I use the following formula to make proglide blade feel smoother

F=ma (force = mass * acceleration)

Jerry-built Hustler and Leo K. like this.
  6. Jerry-built Hustler

Can you give us an example of putting this formula to use?

engrsaks likes this.
  7. engrsaks

Simple, when the blade edge strikes the hair shaft with considerable force due to a brisk stroke, you not only depend on the sharpness of the blade but the momentum of it as well (recall blade buffing). Its just like cutting a tree with a very sharp axe. No matter how sharp the axe becomes, it still needs some momentum to go past the tree shaft.
    I remember asking a question on another forum, inquiring on the mileage of electric vs. manual razors and why electric razors last long. The conclusion was force. This is one of the reasons why high rated RPM shavers feel way more smoother than lower ones.

You can imagine me making similar kind of brisk strokes (but only eight full length ones). :p

When I was new to cartridge shaving, I learned from this video and the shave was agonizing (even the instructor is giving the pain filled expressions). Plus, mileage was never good.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Leo K. and Jerry-built Hustler like this.
  8. engrsaks

OK, so I imported 8 refills of WS hydro 5 :) I will be doing a round two between WS hydro 5 and Gillette FP (Fusion Proglide).

Leo K. likes this.
  9. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Awesome, I can't wait to hear your results. I'm finding that I need at least a month to know a cart razor, I'm continuing shaving with my Flexball and the Mach3 with the base and Turbo carts.

engrsaks likes this.
  10. engrsaks

Interesting thing is, the pack of four only costs $11. :)

Leo K. likes this.
  11. engrsaks

Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 vs. Gillette Fusion Proglide (round two)

Alright, so I shaved with Hydro 5 once again, here are some points taken from my shaving experience.

• The last cartridge was definitely a dull one (or maybe the blades bypassed the coating process). Today's shave was 1000x better and it completely nullified the first impression of this product on me. The glide, slice and closeness, everything was top quality. I shaved with it just like the way I do with proglide and was happy with the performance.
    • When it comes to skin guards, it is difficult to express how this blade innovation feels on the face. When I shave with Proglide, I can feel the blades but with hydro 5, it feels as if I am running tiny five rollers on my face. The glide is definitely better but it comes at the expense of closeness (you can still get better shave by disabling the pivoting function).
    • Flip-top trimmer didn't displease me at all, I used the top two blades to shave tricky sections.
    • Pivoting was still less responsive but to be honest, I enjoyed shaving more by disabling the pivoting function because it gave me a much more closer shave.
    • First two settings on vibration handle are useless, but the third one (combined with skin guards) feels so smooth :) . This one definitely beats the Quattro.
    • Gel reservoir caused no problems, in fact, it made my shave better. I did my first pass with the gel reservoir on but flipped it back in my second for a closer shave. I didn't need to re-lather for second pass as it left my face well lubricated. BTW, the gel scent is like that of a chewing gum.
    Final thoughts :

Hydro 5 is definitely an improvement after quattro. It is smooth, it glides well and causes no irritation even if I make a dozen strokes on a single section of my face. I will keep shaving with this razor and see how the Mileage and cost per shave of two razors compare. If Hydro 5 gives me same number of shaves as proglide, then it is a winner. The only point which goes against the Hydro 5, is that you can end up purchasing a fresh dull pack of cartridges. :(

DSC_0020.JPG

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    Jerry-built Hustler and Leo K. like this.
  12. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I have never encountered a dull blade from any major manufacturer. The NOS Schick injector that I used for SEptember wasn't as sharp as the modern Personna's/Ted Pella's that I used before, but was still competent for the job. I have used a fair amount of Schick/Wilkinson Swords carts, FX, Xtreme3, Quattro, Hydro 3, and Hydro 5 and I have never had an issue. Where did you get your original Hydro 5 from?

Leo K. and engrsaks like this.
  13. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Wow, what a wonderful read, thanks for the excellent writing. Your description of how the blades feel like rollers is right on. I didn't know you can stop the pivoting head, I want to try that today! Your review has inspired me to use my Hydro 5 this afternoon. Aces!

engrsaks likes this.
  14. engrsaks

I have seen couple of complaints on Schick's hydro fb page regarding dull blades. Not just hydro, I also was unfortunate to purchase two packs of 4's of dull quattro cartridges. :(

15. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Since I don't use the flip trimmer I didn't realize that stops the pivot, I can't wait to try it. I also have to try the 3 blade hydro cartridge. I'll buy a pack soon (nice that the 3 and 5 blade cart will fit my Hydro 5 Power handle).

Another thing about the Hydro 5: I love the 'Hydrating Gel Reservoir' - if I whip up a bad lather I still have protection and glide to prevent burn and irritation.

engrsaks likes this.
  16. engrsaks

Thank you, Sir. I'm glad that you found my review helpful for yourself. Could you please let me know how many shaves you get on a single hydro 5 cartridge?

Leo K. likes this.
  17. engrsaks

Don't forget, the hydro 3 doesn't have the flip top feature. Only hydro 5 has it. I have ready many negative reviews on hydro-5's gel reservoir. But, to me it is a good convenience with a scent which makes me want to bite my own face. :p

Leo K. likes this.
  18. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Yes, I've decided to use the Hydro 5 exclusively until I need to change the cartridge to see how long it lasts. I'll also check my shave journal to see if I counted the use of the Hydro 5 cart.

engrsaks likes this.
  19. Jerry-built Hustler

Really? The gel in the Hydro 3 is completely unscented. Scent alone would be a reason for me not to use the razor.

engrsaks likes this.
  20. engrsaks

I think I should go and sniff the cart again. Just in case, if I was wrong. :p