Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the Twain is a cob. I bet the maple shank really improves the cob. I've always disliked the pine shanks that are standard fare on cobs. A cob is a good natural bowl material, but I just have a hard time getting by that pine shank. I love that Morta wood!

Erik Redd, AGHisBBS, RyX and 3 others like this.
  2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

No pic...McClelland Dark Star in a Chacom billiard. Dark Star may be in the McClelland Personal Reserve group with Blackwoods Flake, and both have matured Virginia, but they are definitely different. The stoved Virginia in Blackwoods Flake gives it an added dimension. With a little more aging/drying, Dark Star may improve some more. But I doubt I re-order. McClelland #27 is a mature Virginia, different from Blackwoods Flake without any stoved, but better than Dark Star.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Erik Redd, AGHisBBS, RyX and 3 others like this.
  3. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a MM Twain that a gentlemen replaces the shank with with maple or cherry and a vulcanite bit.
    [​IMG]

Lo'Gosh, trey06dmd, Erik Redd and 5 others like this.
  4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Well @dbersh post about his Twain inspired me to get out a MM Diplomat tonight. Since my last pipe Sunday afternoon, I've left the tin of McClelland Darkstar open to dry further, and decided to give it another go in the cob. I'm happy to report there is an improvement since Sunday. I could tell the broken flakes were dryer. That makes them a little more difficult to rub out, as there is less flex in the flake, but the flavor is beginning to open up. Still doesn't come up to Blackwoods Flake to me, but a definite improvement. I'm not using a filter, so the more open air flow of the cob may be contributing as well.

5. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

6. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Starting day out with YOS in a Dan Spaniola hand carved Cayuga with deer antler
    [​IMG]

RyX, Lo'Gosh, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  7. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Up next and last pipe for a few hours. LEO in a Vermont Freehand Morta
    [​IMG]

8. Erik Redd

Early Saturday morning pipe
    IMG_1116.JPG

9. jarmandc

jarmandc Member

I am so pleased to see more pipe smokers that are also wet shavers. I feel like the two hobbies go hand in hand!

RyX, AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  10. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Happy Easter. Breaking out my birthyear (66) Dunhill Bruyere with YOS.
    [​IMG]

Lo'Gosh, AGHisBBS, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday @dbersh! How is the YOS?

12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1400.JPG Happy Easter everyone! Relaxing with a pipe after a grueling, seemingly never ending several days with income taxes for us and a small handful of others.

Half and half mixture of OGS and Esoterica Peacehaven in the GBD Canadian. As mentioned earlier, this large tin of OGS has a decidedly heavier dose of peppery Perique. And Peacehaven, while good, can be a bit one dimensional and monotonous. Together....ah..... The GBD Canadian is a real winner. After a little more in depth cleaning, no more ghost tastes coming through. This is a Rockroot GBD, a lesser expensive line, although I don't know why. I love the vertical line rustication.

Tony

ob1page, RyX, Lo'Gosh and 4 others like this.
  13. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Not my birthday but thanks! (My dunny is my birth year that I stumbled on for a steal on flea bay from a great seller, refurbished perfectly and all the stampings are clear and crisp)
    I am really enjoying YOS. I am terrible at reviewing baccy, but would say it's similar to Elizabeth Mixture (which I also enjoy a lot) but with a little more depth and kick even with no perique which EM has. it is a straight Virginia yet it is very smooth, no bite and nothing overpowering to me. The nic is there. It is just enough not too strong but still gives me vitamin N.

ob1page, RyX, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  14. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Enjoying a fabulous day in Michigan Sunny and 69 and taking advantage of smoking on the deck in comfort
    1820 in my Basil Meadows Service Merchant Bing
    [​IMG]

ob1page, BamaT, RyX and 4 others like this.
  15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1397.JPG

In researching the GBD line, I came across this picture of a vintage GBD. Looks like the signature shape of Eric Nording. Maybe this is where Nording's inspiration came from. Or maybe this is just an old classic shape that Nording really likes. Personally, it's my least favorite of the Nording line.

ob1page, Lo'Gosh, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I read right over the birth year, thinking it was birthday! Well, consider it an advance birthday wish when the next one rolls around! That pipe really cleaned up well! Sounds like I might enjoy YOS. Better get it quick!

17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Jobey....

[​IMG]

ob1page, trey06dmd, BamaT and 5 others like this.
  18. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Starting the day with some OJK in a custom CG cob with cherry shank
    [​IMG]

ob1page, trey06dmd, BamaT and 4 others like this.
  19. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Next up Sav deLuxe Milano 504 with EMP
    [​IMG]

ob1page, trey06dmd, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  20. Erik Redd

IMG_1117.JPG

I had my annual physical this morning so took off work and had a pipe after. Almost out of the PS LBF. The Tinsky is a great pipe, I look forward to seeing what his 2017 Christmas pipe looks like.

ob1page, dbersh, trey06dmd and 5 others like this.