Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

Now with this logic, I must have one! :signs011:
    The Country Gentleman that you have pictured is a good looking pipe. I have a couple of cobs around to smoke and even one that I keep new for any guest that might want to try a pipe while I'm having one. The trusty corn cob pipe has merit for sure! :happy088:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    Tsalagi44 and fram773 like this.
  2. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

IMG_20140320_160802_480 (Copy).jpg
    1977 K&P Rocky with some Prince Albert Soft Vanilla

3. KcHighLife

That pipe is a beauty!

4. KcHighLife

I haven't been posting much on my pipes lately. Usually when the mood strikes I just go to it. I didn't not take any pictures of the three pipes that I had on this gorgeous Spring day today however. I need to get in the habit of grabbing the camera, just like I would with my SOTD. I'll try to fix that tomorrow since I imagine with the weather finally starting to break and a lot more yard work to do I'll have a few.

POTD 04/18/2014

1) A Mr Brog Bulldog #134 loaded with a mixture of 1 ring of Escudo Navy De Luxe and a few crumbles of the last of my Samuel Gawith Firedance Flake. This turned out to be a great combo that was nice and sweet.
    2) A different Mr Brog, Boxer # loaded with Rattray's Red Rapparee. A great Oriental tobacco IMO.

3) A handmade poker from a friend of mine (Corey Kelly) dubbed "The Night Stalker" loaded with rubbed out Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy flake. I've only had about 4 pipes with this monters, a few more and I think it will be ready for the fold and stuff method for a full flake. I intend to take more pictures since I'm not sure these give good enough perspective on the size of this bad boy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. KcHighLife

No picture of yesterday's POTD. I only had one in my vintage military mount Kaywoodie. Sutliff Midnight Smoke, a nice vanilla aromatic.

6. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I find this topic most interesting. I am not a pipe smoker nor have I ever been but looking at all the pics of the pipes makes me want to try one. Can anyone offer some advice on a setup for someone who is not familiar with pipes? What really interests me is all the tobacco types and ways to smoke it as well as the pipes themselves.
    Thanks

The-Pipe-Smoker likes this.
  7. KcHighLife

I am always happy to help any one in any way that I can. Let me first say that there are many conclusive studies that say that smoking of any kind is not safe. Even with smoke that is not inhaled such as with a pipe.
    With that said, if you still want information on a setup, tobacco types etc, I'd be glad to you that advice you asked for.

8. Weeper Warrior

Really like the looks of that poker! Maybe the next style I try.

KcHighLife likes this.
  9. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Enjoying some university flake in an old Pete 120 Kapruf as I peruse the pages here at TSD. :eatdrink013: A lovely smoke this and it pairs well with a lil' brandy too.

KcHighLife likes this.
  10. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Thanks for in the inputs. I am aware of the "not safe" label that smoking has. At 55 I don't plan on developing a more bad habits but it would be nice to enjoy a smoke while sitting on my back patio. At least to try and see if I like it. The Hobbits in the Shire seem to really enjoy it so I thought I'd give it a try! Any suggestions for a setup are appreciated.

Best Regards

11. KcHighLife

Awesome! I'm sure you can understand that I didn't want to come across as encouraging anyone to pick up a bad habit. :)
    Okay, other's might feel a little different so I'd love to see their input as well. I would start just as cheap as you can to figure out if it's even something you will enjoy. So, I would pick up a corn cob or hardwood pipe from Missouri Meerschaum. Either at the site directly http://corncobpipe.com/ or from http://www.pipesandcigars.com/. You can also get them at Walgreen's. I would lean towards a cob because they seem to burn cooler and you can get one with a filter (probably wouldn't hurt to start with a filtered pipe, Medico will fit cobs).
    Then all you need are filters, a 3 and 1 pipe tool, plenty of pipe cleaners and whatever your tobacco choice is. IMO, Carter Hall tobacco would be a good choice as a starter for availability and ease of use.
    I'm pretty sure you can pick all this up at some drug stores or just check out pipesandcigars.com
    Please let me know if I can help with any thing else.

Monty Craig and Tsalagi44 like this.
  12. KcHighLife

I've got a few that I still want to try. It never ends does it?!
    I have yet to try a churchwarden or a full block meerschaum. My gourd calabash has a meerschaum insert so that's probably pretty close but, no churchwarden.

13. Weeper Warrior

Decided to break out my Meerschaum with some McCelland Creme Caramel. Amazing bag and room note. It just doesn't get into the smoke that much. A very sweet smoke!

IMG_20140428_215544_900 (Copy).jpg

The-Pipe-Smoker, BamaT and KcHighLife like this.
  14. Weeper Warrior

Meerschaums are yet nice for me. I am a very quick smoker, the smoke stays much cooler in my meer than the briars.

KcHighLife likes this.
  15. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Enjoying some Dark XX in a Kaywoodie Hand Made Super Grain. A great smoking lil' pipe is this one. :happy088:

[​IMG]

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  16. Weeper Warrior

And PAD has been running rampant with me. Here is what I have been smoking with lately.

IMG_20140513_152857_491 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20140513_152929_920 (Copy).jpg

Top to Bottom:

Navigator, Made In Denmark: Nice little nose warmer with a huge bowl. The bowl is very cone shaped. Smokes great, very cool smoke for its length, and really liking the wider bit.

Viking, Made In USA: A decent smoker but gives a bit of a drink every now and again. I may put a fluffy pipe cleaner in the metal put of the bowl the next smoke.

Danish Sovereign, Made In Denmark: Perfect Smoke! Big thick walled bowl, just the right amount of bend, and very well balanced. These were, from what I have read, Stanwell seconds I can't find why it would have been a second. It's a beaut.

Peterson's D&L, Made In Ireland: A longer pipe with a small bowl. Smokes amazingly cool. Gotta love a P-lip! Pretty great for a $7 Pete!

If any of you vets have any info about these, please let me know. They were all Flea Market finds that I bought for looks most of all. Some history on them(when possibly made or something of that sort) would be great. Even the Peterson is a puzzler to me as there is no style or model number to be found on it.

Cheers, Guys!

The-Pipe-Smoker and BamaT like this.
  17. Weeper Warrior

Navigator with Sutliff Casanova :happy088:

IMG_20140523_202742_983 (Copy).jpg IMG_20140523_202633_602 (Copy).jpg IMG_20140523_202714_001 (Copy).jpg

The-Pipe-Smoker and KcHighLife like this.
  18. KcHighLife

Orlik Golden Sliced in a Mr Brog #43. I had this same combo a few days ago and I love it.

[​IMG]

The-Pipe-Smoker and Lo'Gosh like this.
  19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

image.jpg

Sat out on the front porch this morning with a cup of coffee, and enjoyed a bowl of Dunhill 965 in a Stratford Copper Tone bent pipe. This was a basket pipe, made in England, that I bought around 30 years ago at a local pipe shop. Often basket pipes are a basket pipe for a reason. Sometimes they start out as a name brand, but the draft hole didn't come on the bottom of the bowl, wasn't centered, briar had a defect of some kind that resulted in a putty fill, etc. I was very lucky for the most part with my earlier purchases many years ago. The draft hole on this pipe didn't quite come out at the bottom, but has been an excellent pipe. Often, basket pipes don't result in a good smoking experience.

Dunhill 965 is an English Blend, but it is mild for that type. The Latakia in it is very smooth and not overwhelming.

20. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

I used to smoke a pipe years ago, loved it. Virginia flake was one my favorites. You guys have some nice pipes.