Swedish Dream Sea Salt Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, Mar 28, 2016.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Anyone ever used this soap?
    IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

I found it today in a shop and went ahead and bought it. It's inexpensive. The smell is great. It says it can be a shower or shave soap, so if it doesn't work well for shaving then I'll just move it to the shower.

Spud, crackstar and Bussemand like this.
  2. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Google says it's a "scrub" soap and not the best for shaving. Someone on amazon claims it contains those darn microbeads. I love the retro design though

PLAla likes this.
  3. PLAla

I just tried a test lather with it. It was not the usual consistency of shaving soap. Very airy with the zillions of tiny bubbles. However, I'll give it a go tomorrow or Wednesday with a shave. It might be surprisingly good.....or not. But hey, what's the worst that could happen??

Spud and dscaver like this.
  4. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I have read several reviews of this product. I have yet to find one person who considers it a viable shave soap, rather than bath soap. At least a couple of folks have opined that the oil used is inappropriate to use with the salt base, for lather purposes. That said, best of luck.

crackstar and PLAla like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup, that's bath soap lather.

6. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

I want to say I saw another sea salt soap review about 6 months ago. Although I think that one was Norwegian.

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

crackstar, PLAla and kurtmill like this.
  8. PLAla

Thanks! I may just move it to the shower after reading your previous thread. There is no use in shaving with terrible, disappearing lather.

Spud and crackstar like this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Give it a try first.
    You know what they say..."YMMV" :)

Spud, crackstar and PLAla like this.
  10. PLAla

Update!

I had a go with it this morning for a shave. @Darkbulb is right.....it ain't good. I thought the lather was going well at first. There was decent pastiness and what seemed to be passable lather. But it dried and dissipated quickly. I kept rehydrating and actually got a pretty good pass about the jaw. The neck was scary though. I kept at it but decided to stop after one pass with that lather. I switched to a different soap for clean-up and then stopped. I was worried about irritation.

Too bad because it claims to be good for shaving. Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions!

Spud, Darkbulb and crackstar like this.
  11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I LOVE the scent of this soap and it appears to give good lather at the beginning, but then, yes - it disaapears and you're left with nothing. :(

Robyflexx and PLAla like this.
  12. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

I can't figure out why they ever marketed it as a shave soap. I make a lot of sea salt bath soaps and they are wonderful as just that...bath/shower soap, but produce no where near the type of lather one needs for shaving. Sea salt soaps aren't really exfoliating either but produce a tighter, denser lather than the typical light and airy bubbles you see in a typical bath bar. They do make the skin feel wonderful...like after a swim in the ocean or a therapeutic salt bath soak. I love them for that and they are the only kind I make now for our own home use.

Robyflexx and PLAla like this.
  13. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. Salt soaps are great but there's not a one that would be good for anything other than a bath/shower soap.

PLAla likes this.