US East Coast Bunny Pass Around

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Karl G, Feb 18, 2016.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

hoppy hoppy Hallelujah bunny shaved me like a ruler ....

2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

image.jpeg

3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Just great... the in-laws showed up. :(

5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

The Bunny is on the move again and should be in the hands of @PLAla. :happy036:

Here's the current list as of July 7, 2016:
    1. Redfisher
    2. poppi
    3. Jayaruh
    4. richgem
    5. AGHisBBS
    6. ilts
    7. youngunn
    8. Herm2502
    9. JBSharp

10. PLAla (has the Bunny)
    11. gzp
    12. mrdrakeness
    13. Robyflexx
    14. david of central florida
    15. Spyder
    16. Mr. Freeze93
    17. old-school shaver
    18. Mbg75
    19. dustmite

Sign-ups still welcome. :happy088:

BeShaved, dustmite, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  6. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Okay, first things first. The Bunny V3 is in the mail and should be on Perry's doorstep, according to USPS tracking. Family activity and business kept me from posting for the last few days, but I didn't intend to disappear.

I had my last shave with the Bunny on Monday morning. My dad has an Avon train shaving mug sitting in his guest bathroom; he never uses it, and it had a barely used puck (presumably an Avon refill) sitting in the top of the mug, with the dessicated ring corpse of a prior puck in the bottom. Daddy was happy for me to use it, so I trimmed the puck, got it in the mug, and went to work. It had a typical soapy scent, not overpowering, but built a beautiful lather. I probably could have added a little bit more water, but it was plenty slick. I'm assuming it's tallow based.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Final thoughts on the Bunny V3: I've already pretty thoroughly given my opinions of the shave. The razor handles well and it has a nice heft; finding and keeping the correct angle is no more difficult than with any other unfamiliar single-edge razor. I was thoroughly satisfied with every shave I got from these two razors. I had a slight problem keeping the proper angle and approach underneath my chins and cheeks, but I did achieve it for a couple of very nice shaves, so I know it's there. That's more compliment than complaint: confidence in the razor (coupled with a desire to push limits for the sake of the review) encouraged me to be a little more aggressive than I normally am.

The blade loading process isn't as polished as most mass-manufactured razors would be, but it's as advertised. Carefully work the key in and slightly twist it away from the head to get the blade started. After removing the key, the blade is just short of the far blade stop, and I had to center it with my fingernail. I didn't have the same issue with the V2, although Tom says the heads are the same. Perhaps there was a slight inconsistency in the machining (or perhaps in my brain).:think002:

What I was supposed to do was compare the handles. I like the contoured V3 handle, but I prefer the V2. The V2 looks more like a project, more industrial, and the V3 is more "finished." Had I never known of the V2, I'd be marveling at the curves and the beauty of the V3. My preference is partially a matter of personal aesthetics, but I also feel like the V2 better complements the heft of the head. I've even given thought as to how a cylindrical handle would compare to the tapered V2, but the taper with its generous grooves is where it's at. Again, the size of the taper at the bottom nicely complements the head in both physical and visual weight, as well as providing nice grip.

I look forward to the opportunity to own a Bunny one day, whatever its final form. Thanks, Tom, for putting this out there and giving us the chance to try it out for you and with you.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    BeShaved, AGHisBBS, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Indeed, the Bunny V3 has arrived! I'm shaving with it tomorrow with a new Chick blade and Mitchell's Wool Fat. Thanks @Karl G for your organization of the East Coast pass-around and @JBSharp for sending me the V2 and V3. I'm planning just a few shaves with the V3 and then sending it off to @gzp early next week. Have a great evening!

BeShaved, Jayaruh, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  8. PLAla

SOTD July 8, 2016
    Bunny V3 report

Cold Water.jpg

Blade: Chinese Schick
    Razor: Bunny V3 Injector
    Brush: Omega 10049 boar
    Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Fred's New Spice, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

Fat Friday! Nice shave with the Bunny V3 injector of @twhite. This was a better shave than I had with the Bunny V2 from a couple of weeks ago. The Wool Fat lather was splendid as usual - nice and slick, protective. The new Chick blade was sharp and smooth. The Bunny did very well as expected. It sure is a beautiful razor!

I probably shouldn't make any judgments after only one shave with the V3, but I found that I preferred this handle over the handle of the V2. V3's handle is more ergonomic. I found myself gripping towards the top where the handle narrows a bit. That was a comfortable place to hold and it felt more natural than the V2. This shave was overall much better than the ones I got from the V2.

The angle for shaving my neck was still a little awkward, but again was better than the experiences with the V2. I adjusted my grip a little bit for the neck area after seeing some pictures of Tom's grip in the West Coast thread. That helped.

Tight or sensitive areas are more difficult to shave with this razor. The area directly under the nostrils that I can often get with just one edge of a razor are a little more troublesome. I also have two very small freckle/mole areas on my upper face and have to shave around them gingerly. I knicked one of those just slightly on this shave (but not too bad). I'm sure with more time it would get easier in those areas.

I'm going to shave with it some more this weekend and then go ahead and send off to the next recipient. More reports to come.

Have a great day everyone!

SOTD 7-8-16.jpg

9. PLAla

I failed to mention that I used the MILD comb today. That comb was already attached and I only had 24 hours of growth, so MILD seemed a good choice. And, it was!

10. PLAla

Well, I really want to cut down a Feather AC blade to try with the Bunny. I tried cutting one yesterday to no avail. Looks like I don't have the right shears for the job. That's a bummer. So, I am going to include the remaining Feather AC I have in the box that goes to @gzp. If he doesn't want to use it then someone down the line might.

11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

The Feathers for me did not show significant improvement over the Chicks. It would be like moving up one comb. I also found that i preferred the Chick over the twins in the Bunny. That is just me mind you. By all means try all the blades you can. That is what this testing is all about.

Have fun
    Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:signs011: +1

BeShaved and Billyfergie like this.
  13. PLAla

SOTD July 9, 2016
    Bunny V3 shave #2

Cold Water.jpg

Brush: Semogue 1520 boar
    Lather: La Toja
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Florida Water, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

Nice shave again with the Bunny V3. Each shave is improving!

I noticed a comment in the European pass-around thread that mentioned in essence "keeping the copper against your face" as you shave. That tip worked really well for me today! That helped me tip the angle up just a bit more and made the strokes much more comfortable. The area under my nose is much smoother as is my neck. My neck isn't as smooth as my upper face but in reality it probably never is. I have trouble spots down there and get irritation easily if I pursue it too much. I've consigned to do what I can with my lower neck and let it be.

Another tip from the European thread was to make sure you've got a slick lather, and boy did I ever with La Toja! It's a great shaving soap. Our friend @Robyflexx is a champion of La Toja as well as @Bama Samurai. I'll definitely need to replenish my supply once I use up what I had. Mitchell's Wool Fat was also nice and slick for yesterday's shave.

The handle of the V3 is more preferable to me when compared to the V2. I liked the V2 handle and would be fine with it but when comparing the two I prefer the V3 handle. I have never felt like I would drop it or that it was too slick to hold. It feels really good in your hand and balances quite well.

The "copper on your face" tip worked for me and I had the best Bunny shave yet today. I'll use it a couple of more times and send it off to the next recipient.

SOTD 7-9-16.JPG

14. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Great write up Perry :happy088:

BeShaved, Billyfergie, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  15. PLAla

SOTD July 10, 2016

Cold Water.jpg

Brush: Omega 10049 boar
    Lather: TSD Tabac-type
    WTG, touch-up

Decent shave today - not my best. The lather wasn't as slick and protective as the past couple of days. For me, the Bunny razor has worked best with slick and hydrated lather. I didn't get it to the right point today.

A couple of tiny nicks on my neck where I had angle struggles again. The angle for my upper face is much improved but I'm still experiencing problems on my neck. More time with the Bunny would certainly avail itself to better and better shaves.

Keeping the copper plate on my face has helped a lot but I regressed a little on my neck. But, that's okay. Poor shaves make us reflect and learn so we can try and avoid those mistakes again.

My plan is to shave with the Bunny tomorrow morning and then try to get it in the mail to the next tester. This has been a lot of fun!

Hope you all have a great day!

SOTD 7-10-16.JPG

16. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Faces and Places thread for the family album of the Bunny's travels. :)

17. PLAla

SOTD July 11, 2016
    Bunny V3 shave #4

Cold Water.jpg

Brush: Artisan badger
    Lather: Maggard's Orange Menthol
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Maggard's Orange Menthol, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG

Nice quick and efficient shave in one pass with the Bunny V3 razor. I had very light beard growth after shaving yesterday afternoon. The one pass was just fine for a workday shave.

The Maggard's Orange Menthol soap and after shave provide a medium menthol experience with an interesting scent. It was a nice way to start off a Monday.

Final thoughts on the Bunny:

I had the unique experience, along with @JBSharp, to try both the Bunny V2 and V3. I had far better shaves with the V3, but I can't nail down why. Part of the success probably lies in using the V3 at home where I know my soaps and water, etc. I used the V2 while out of town, and even though I brought my soaps and brushes shaving while out of town can still be frustrating due to water temperature, water hardness, etc.

I prefer the V3's handle over the V2. It felt more contoured and provided an easier grip for me. I liked the look of the V2's grooved handle and enjoyed the feel of it, but when asked to compare the two I will say the V3 handle is better for me.

The angle provided some challenges for me, especially on my neck. Today I used some shorter strokes on my neck and that seemed to help. With more time I'm sure I could conquer those angle challenges. My upper face was rarely an angle problem and was improved further when I used the mantra "keep the copper plate touching your face". That worked great. It felt very smooth and comfortable when gliding the curved copper plate across your face through the lather. I used the MILD comb for all the shaves with the V3. I had less success with the other combs on the V2 and just decided to be consistent with the MILD.

Lather is another key. Having a nice, slick, hydrated lather provided better shaves. That may sound a little ridiculous but there are some days where our lather is not quite right. With the Bunny I would scrap that sub-par lather and start over. Get a nice lather that will be stable and protective before shaving with the Bunny. I had the two best shaves using Mitchell's Wool Fat and La Toja. I had beautiful lathers with both of those and got great shaves.

It's a beautiful razor and I'm thankful for the chance to try it! It was certainly fun to see the whole project come together and take off. Thanks @twhite for your generosity and @Karl G for organizing the East Coast pass-around. I plan to send the Bunny on to @gzp later today.

SOTD 7-11-16.jpg

18. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Greetings all,

Unfortunately the Bunny is still in transit, location to be determined. Plaia sent it to my work address, we have someone who goes each morning to pick up packages. Tracking shows it was "delivered, to agent." meaning it should have been in with the packages to be picked up but it was not and has not yet appeared (people involved double checked to be sure). I called the local post office, they checked and said it was not there. I waited several days and this afternoon I called USPS, waited on hold and then spoke to a person who said that it was at the local post office and I needed to call or go there to arrange re-delivery. I explained to him that I had already called the local post office, that they had checked and said the package was not there, that it had been left with the packages to be picked up. He would not budge from the idea I needed to call to arrange re-delivery. He said the only alternative is to file a claim. I called the local post office again. Again the person there said it was left with the other packages and delivered. I explained that it has not been delivered. This person took my number and said they would look into it.

I am still hopeful, past experience tells me that there's a good chance it will show up, with no explanation of where it's been. While it seems like a long time, it's only been a week. It was originally mailed on 7/11. I will wait a "reasonable" time to hear back from the local post office and then call USPS again, I think it's likely that another agent there will be more helpful.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

BeShaved, Karl G, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  19. PLAla

Thanks for the update! I feel bad because I was the one who sent it to you! I've never had a TSD-related shipment experience problems.

If it helps, the box is a brown square cardboard box that originally came from Tom to JBSharp. I left Tom's return address on there and pasted the new address over mine after Joey sent it to me. It was sent Priority to you.

I hope it shows up shortly!

20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Great that you had Tom's return address in case it got returned to sender. In the meantime, I'm putting my money with gzp that past experience will repeat itself. :happy088:

BeShaved, JBSharp, twhite and 2 others like this.