What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

20161006_095214_resized.jpg 20161006_095214_resized.jpg was time to touch up a few. Nakayama/Koma then water and finish with soap. Shallows the scratch depth for an insanely smooth edge. Little Polish and I'm in shaving paradise. 20161006_095214_resized.jpg

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

What is that blue strop? Is it a homemade paddle strop with old Blue Jeans? I've never heard of polishing off an edge with soap. Tell me about it.

3. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

I'll be making a custom paddle strip using leftover materials from when I re-covered my billiards table. The fabric is tight 90% worsted wool and 10% nylon. It should be great with a touch of CrOxide or .5 diamond paste. I'll figure out which works best. Using wood from wine cases to mount it on. Should work well. Plenty of strips and wood. Spray adhesive too.

Will post photos when finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drawer, twhite, Linuxguile and 4 others like this.
  4. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Very cool. :happy036:

champagneinhand and Billyfergie like this.
  5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Next Hone Job..I am Wating on this Arriving..It Looks an Original Hall Marked Mint NOS Joseph Rogers & Son which Looks like at Least a 7/8th Wedge from UK EBay..I have Never Seen an NOS SR this Old Before..Those are What Looks Like Bone or Ivory Scales & there isn't Even any Opening & Closing Marks on the Tang..I Cant Wait till this Roger Rabbit Beauty Arrives..:D

I Darn Stole this an All..:happy108:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  6. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Soft pine, old jeans some tacks and metal Polish of your choice. I use the soap like a buffer, little extra between the stone and metal not that the stone needs it but I love the edges I get this way. Just have to get used to the start of the stroke as its easy to blunt it if your not careful. I place the blade near middle of stone starting with the toe near bottom like a reverse x stroke and then the forward cutting stroke. Like all honing, requires some gymnastics.

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I'd love to see a post outlining your opinion/comparisons of these finishers. I would like to get something finer than my Norton 8K and need some input. Thanks.

twhite, Karl G, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  8. DaltonGang

Kizurra, Karl G, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Billyfergie

[​IMG] My Mint Wedge Joseph Rogers Arrived in the Post NOS..Its Very Old as these are Ivory Scales & its Her Majesties Marking on in...Just Under a 4/8th I Reckon & 44 MM Length Blade...:)

It Must have Shrunk..:happy102:

I Might Just Keep it and Hone it Up as it wasn't Expensive...Its a Miniature Shaving Wedge...Must be Rare as I cant Come across anything on it...I thought it was a 7/8th Full Size Job..:happy097:

Life is Full of Surprizes..:rofl:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

That seems unusual, very cool

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm finishing up a restoration of a vintage Joseph Elliot frame back and will take it to the hones later today—or tomorrow at the latest.
    Potential Planned Progression: Chosera Pro 1k (bevel set); Naniwa SS 3k, 5k, 8k (sharpen & refine); Naniwa SS 10k, 12k, Escher waterstone (refine & polish)
    SafariScreenSnapz999.jpg

Drawer, Kizurra, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  13. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

This is the older no name (Horn Tide) 3000/8000 and the Imperia La Roccia stone I picked up. Great YouTube videos on this that came out in September, or at least recently. The Japanese flattening stone. The .5 micron diamond paste. The double sided paddle strop, with green CrOxide is on the backside.
    My 2 latest straight razor pickups. From Maggard a vintage JA Henckel and the $15 Genco that is in really good shape and very sharp. The Genco has the better scales but both are in excellent condition considering they are almost 90 years old.

The ILR stone was $40 and Diamond plate lapped. Good deal.
    [​IMG]

The side of the Imperia La Roccia claims 12K-15K, but when scurried and wet it's a bit less hard in grit. 8-12K. Or so the video states.

[​IMG]
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Drawer, mrchick, Kizurra and 4 others like this.
  14. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

They are Bone definitely.

Kizurra and Billyfergie like this.
  15. Billyfergie

Cheers Jamie..:happy088:

champagneinhand likes this.
  16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Your stone setup looks like mine. I have a horn tide stone and a Cnat that I got at woodcraft. The setup works reasonably well, but I would really like to step up to the Naniwa 12k and maybe the Norton 4K/8k combo.

17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Did some touchups today. Naniwa SS 8k then Shapton 12k then Shapton glass 16k followed by pasted strops. The razors: W&B, Koraat and 3 Hart Steel. Shaved with the Koraat today, smooth and sharp.

ID - 2.jpg

Drawer, Kizurra, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  18. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    My Roger Rabbit Honed Up & Ready to Go..Honed Easy Peasy..After Honing that Soviet SR Nothing Seems to be a Bother..I Used One layer of Cello Tape & it Worked Fine & it Kept it True to the Factory Bevel..I had to Do a Lot of Heel Leading Strokes for whatever Reason..I have Never Honed a Wedge before But it Worked Fine..Its Took a Killer Edge..:D

The Smallest SR in Town..:happy102:

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

8k ...at best. Slow cutter. Had one of these for a short time (trial). See Here
    I'm always wary on the grit claims (by sellers) on their naturals.

20. DaltonGang

It' been another busy Sunday of Honing. First, I buffed out as much tarnish and rust as possible. Second, I polished the scales and blades with FLITZ.
    My Progression was a 1k King Stone, then 3000/8000 grit unknown stone, then 8k, 12k, 15k Welsh Natural Slate stones. Then Hit them with the Chromium Oxide strop, Plain strop, then around 100 stokes of the Leather strop. Dang, I'm tired.
    These are the unnamed Chinese Straights. They were a real pain. I had to grind down part of the heels, so the blades could make contact. I didnt grind enough. I figured I would let the 1k do the rest. Big mistake. It took a long time. After I was finished, the Chinese razors were very very sharp, and popped hair, all the way down the blade, except the last 1/4 inch of the heel. I should have ground them down more. 1/4 inch, meeehhhh, I can live with it. I will have to shave with them later this week. That will determine whether these Chinese blades are to be kept, or used as some kind of wall art.

PA090399.JPG

Now, these blades are much better. Japanese Razors. The "G' TOWA' T" 1074 Extra Tungsten Steel was triple taped, due to the excess wear on the blade. This worked well, and a killer edge was formed on this on.
    The "Crown 888" was the easiest to hone. It took a very very sharp edge, with little effort.

PA090401.JPG

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Drawer, mrchick, Kizurra and 4 others like this.