What did we learn from our last shaves?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by youngunn, Nov 8, 2014.

1. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Have been dabbling with SR shaving. Trying first pass with the SR, and finishing with my injectors up to this point.

Perhaps been going around that the wrong way. Will try one quick pass with a safety razor then the SR next time. Final finish up with a safety razor to finish smooth.

First pass is the hardest to make for me it turns out. so trying to reduce tugging while learning angles and patterns of approach that work for me wit SR's.

Enjoy your shave!

Douglas Carey and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Two spine-width angle will bring the bevel into the hair shaft efficiently. Just try and hold a constant angle, and merely try to wipe the lather away with the blade. Also, be sure your lather is wet. "Good" lather for DE shaves is inadequate for SR. Concentrate on making the thickest wettest lather possible. And keep on keeping on, it will just happen for you if you stay with it.

Douglas Carey and barbersurgeon like this.
  3. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

That the teeth on an open comb Micromatic really feel weird.

Douglas Carey and youngunn like this.
  4. '65 G-Slim

And that out of all the razors I've bought this past year...the fancy Aristocrat...the desirable Fat Boy...the Damaskeene...it's still the lowly ball-end Tech that gives me the most pleasurable shave.

5. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Learned yesterday that the Shavecraft Tech is not for me. As much as I enjoy my aggressive razors, this one just isn't pleasant to use for me. Feels very much like I'm scraping the hair off of my skin, rather than shaving it.

6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

To go light and easy with the GEM Micromatic open comb.

Douglas Carey and '65 G-Slim like this.
  7. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I have always found it difficult shaving XTG, so I changed my 3 pass shave a couple of months ago. Previously I shaved WTG-XTG-ATG, now I shave WTG-ATG-XTG. This has made all 3 passes more consistent.

Drygulch and Douglas Carey like this.
  8. '65 G-Slim

That my '45 Contract shaves *almost* as good as my ball-end. Almost.
    [​IMG]

Hodge, Douglas Carey and NCoxSTL like this.
  9. gwsmallwood

That Feathers really only work for me in my milder razors. I love them in my NEW and NEW Deluxe, but put them in anything else and I get at least 2 or 3 nicks per head shave. Really odd, since they don't offer a closer shave than my other blades, they just cut me more.

BigMike, youngunn, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I learned that I need to do better on my right side than I've been doing, when using canned cream.

Douglas Carey and youngunn like this.
  11. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Mild with dangerously sharp and aggressive with smooth

That's what I do

Douglas Carey and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

Yep, I learned that the first week or two of shaving. Feathers in an aggressive razor is what gives them a bad name. Feathers in a Tech = BBS

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've been doing this more often since reading this post. The change in procedure has improved my results.
    Thanks @BigMike !

14. gwsmallwood

This week I've learned that I like the Futur a lot more than I remember. I'm still not crazy about the longer handle, but I can't argue with the comfort and results. I still contend that this razor isn't aggressive, even on 6. Not sure if it's just an intuitive angle for me or what, but I cut myself far more frequently with the Progress and Fatboy than I do with a wide open Futur.

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

I haven't used a Futur, but lots of folks have problems with it being "aggressive" even at lowest settings. Sounds like it's a fit for you! Did you have issues on prior use, and something in your technique changed?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  16. gwsmallwood

No issues on first usage, it just didn't seem very comfortable. Seems fine now.

RyX and Douglas Carey like this.
  17. Marc D

Marc D Well-Known Member

I got one of those from a Antique shop and Love it. Enjoy :)

youngunn and Douglas Carey like this.
  18. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

That straight shaves will take lots of time, patience, and styptic. It's quite exciting and frustrating all at once.

19. Marc D

Marc D Well-Known Member

I want to Try Straight Razor but scared to death of them. I also have lack of feeling on the right side of my face ( numb to no feeling ) , so i have to be extra careful even with Safety Razors

20. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

I like Voskhod a lot, but Bolzano is still my favorite DE blade by a long shot