January 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2016.

?

How long have you been part of the 30 Day Crew?

1. Charter Member baby! Since January 2015

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Over a year and a half

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. About a year

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Last 6 months or so

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. This is only my 2nd or 3rd month

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I'm a Newbie!!

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  7. I'm not telling until you give me a cookie!!

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

The unscented has a slight scent but it should be no more than any other unscented soap. I haven't used it in awhile so I don't quite remember. What are you using for aftershave?

2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Usually, nothing besides Alum. Sometimes some Every Man Jack balm if I have irritation.

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette Black Tip X 3 1952
    Blade: Wilkinson Sword (4)
    Brush: EverReady 100 T, Mid to late 1950's
    Soap: Route 66 Perfect Storm
    Aftershave: Lucky Tiger

Close comfortable 3 passes with a touch up for a DFS. Restored the Ever Ready 100 T by replacing the knot, adding weight to the handle, and cleaning it up a little. Still need more work on the handle.
    11 01 17b.jpg

4. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Last night's shave: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly or, The Dude Debrides

The Good:
    Route 66 Bourbon Jungle (sample)
    Maggard SR 24 Synthetic brush
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel (Ol' Faithful)
    Stirling Sandalwood AS Balm (thank the Lord)
    GEM 1912 Damaskeene (to the rescue, my spirit razor)

The bad: My relationship with my Feather AC SS Japanese with a Feather Pro blade

The ugly: my face in the mirror

In today's shavette episode, our wannabe hero lays aside the comfort of his Magic and attempts again to walk with the mighty (and to-be-respected) Feather AC SS. Today is to be the day. The day the Feather roams the round hills of his face without taking its blood-tax. After conjuring a fragrantly delightful lather and setting foam to face, he moves forward with confident optimism. Wielding the Mischievous Wand gently, he carefully measures, confirms that the blade (2nd shave, mind you) is seated correctly, tests the lather for slickness, rinses his finger, then licks it again to test the wind. Noting optimal conditions, he breathes deeply, calms his hand, and let's the metal ride. All feels well, and a quick check determines that hair has been shed without the giving of blood. Emboldened (here we see the error inherent in our would-be hero), he sets forth with gentle abandon. When at last the pass has been conquered, some hair remains, but so does his skin. Thrilled with his brazen display of skill, he readies himself for the second pass, and in so doing seals his fate. Heroism quickly descends into violent anarchy. Slick glides give way to painless debriding of previously pristine skin. The error has been made. Blood has been shed, confidence shattered, man-card rent in twain. The quest has failed, the blood tax levied, the Feather laid down.

At that point, our hero (HA!), Determined not to wallow in despair at today's defeat, takes up his trusty and faithful GEM 1912 Damaskeene and rests in its comfort.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful F!

6. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Doug!

7. Norcalnewb

IMG_4737.JPG

January 11 SOTD:

Razorock Plissoft Brush
    Stirling Bay Rum SS
    Gillette SS
    Stirling Bay Rum AS

Late post for a morning shave. I was supposed to head to the gym this morning, but my wife pulled a muscle in her back. I ended up having to take my kids to school, lift the baby, etc until it loosened up enough for her to function a bit. It was a good thing I was packed up, as I had about 20 minutes to shower and shave before I had to leave with the kids. The shave was pretty good as the Stirling Bay Rum worked nicely. My skin felt nice and soft afterwards. Even if it was rushed, it was a relaxing moment for me. I hope everyone has had a great day.

8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Really cool pic, Doug. I like that brush.

9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Entertaining report! Sorry for the bad and the ugly, but it was sure fun to read!

10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank very much Jared. :happy088:

11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Very nice setup and razor Adam. :happy096:

12. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Perhaps not as epic in scale and grandeur as The Iliad or The Odyssey but an awe-inspiring tale of human courage and persistence in the face of pain and despair nevertheless. I await the next chapter of this cliffhanger serial with bated breath...

13. PickledNorthern

Excellent post. I was grinning the whole time while reading it, and cringing at how it was maybe going to end.

I know that using a Super in my SS makes it a lot easier to use because the added exposure improves the angle.

14. PickledNorthern

Minty Super Speed. Birth year?

15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Great write up, reminds me of my days with the Feather SS. I switched to a CJB and then Feather DX and found them much easier to shave with, i.e. less blood thirsty. I really do not like the bump at the edge of the SS, I think it causes more problems rather than making it 'safer'. I recommend giving the CJB or DX a try. I ended up selling my SS.

16. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

January 11 - ho-hum continuation of PAL and brush focus

Gillette Black Beauty on 3
    PAL Gold Thin Hollow Ground carbon (8)
    1930s Simms boar brush reknotted with 22mm Maggard black synthetic
    The Eternal Tub of TOBS Avocado Cream ( croap )
    Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel Original

After reading SharptoothC's stirring saga of deadly adventure, I am almost ashamed to admit that today's shave was totally routine.

The Simms boar brush I reknotted performed very well. The Maggard synthetic knots seem to be very good quality, especially when you consider they cost under $10.00 shipped.

The PAL carbon blade was smooth and sharp on its 8th shave. It was very rough and tuggy on its first couple outings but has since settled into a fine performance. I give it a quick dry after each shave and see no signs of rust so far.

And there is no sign of any bottom yet to the Eternal Tub of TOBS...

mrchick, Bama Samurai, RyX and 7 others like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

I have been bad about shave posting the last few days. A couple of catch up shaves:

[​IMG]

-Nameless Shavette
    -Zenith Boar
    -Stirling Ozark Mountain
    -Stirling Ben Franklin Splash

I did NOT like using the Treet blade in this shavette. It felt sort of tuggy right out of the wrapper, and tuggy is when I hurt myself with these things. Shave went fine, but I did not push my luck.

If you happen to own both of these scents of software, don't use them together. My wife said I smelled like I had been sitting around a campfire smoking clove cigarettes all night.

[​IMG]

-PAL Injectomatic
    -Manhandled Woods 24mm Ubersoft II
    -Lavender Cream
    -British Stirling

I took a focus break yesterday, mainly because my PAL was giving me hurtful looks, I assume for ignoring it so much lately. My PAL is a she. I call her Danica.

[​IMG]

-Feather SS
    -Duke 3 in Pure
    -Stirling Hot Apple Cider Soap and Splash

I really want to like this razor, but I'm not sure it's gonna happen. It is the only one of these razors that seems insistent on my giving up blood every shave. I am getting much handier with it, so I felt it start to dig in and let off, leaving just a scratch of sorts. I am certain a focus on this razor specifically would solve the problem, but I am not sure I even care to spend the effort when the Kai is virtually the same razor with none of the heartache/learning curve. We'll see.

Have a good evening everybody.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    mrchick, Bama Samurai, RyX and 8 others like this.
  18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Nice setup and picture.

19. PickledNorthern

Thank you, Douglas.

20. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

That bump is exactly what gets me. Every time. I can't get a good angle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk