April 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Are you using a theme for April? And - which adjustable if you're going there?

1. Arko baby!!!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Arko and an adjustable - even better!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Fatboy

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Slim

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Black Beauty

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Futur

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Soviet Ideal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Soviet Consul

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Schick Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. No theme - just me, my razor and some COOKIES!

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to Arko Adjustable April 2017!!! What began a couple years ago as just “Arko April” is now expanded to include the use of adjustable razors for those so inclined. So, if you want to play along with the theme you can use Arko, you can use an adjustable or two or three or – use both! Or use none of that and just shave your way! We’re so easy it’s ridiculous…..like our jokes.

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

HEY! I said pause for revered silence! Ok, now you can proceed.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Again, if you want to follow the theme in some way feel free. But if you are on a Rule or Focus that doesn’t include the theme we’re totally fine with that. Most of all remember – this is about learning to use the tools and improving our skills so that TECHNIQUE TRUMPS TOOLS!!

Here are the rules. Those not following the rules will be subject to penalties to include a visit from Ivan or Igor to correct that stinkin’ thinkin’!

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Experienced Members also always welcome. Notice I stopped calling us “old”?
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. Any criticism of Russian steel of any kind will be met with swift and ferocious retribution. Ok, so maybe not so swift. The guys have to sober up first. And ferocious? Well, at least slightly uncomfortable to listen to.
    7. Any criticism of Feather blades is also subject to the same kind of almost uncomfortable retribution. The Yakuza has started mixing their sake with the vodka from the Cartel boys. Let’s just say it seems to have calmed them down.

Let's have some great shaves people! Arko Adjustable April!! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Not planning on Arko, but I am going to rotate some adjustables. Not featured in the list is the Rockwell 6S. It has become a, more or less, daily razor as I've been going through a blade rotation. So for me, it will be a focus with Gillette Silver Blue; probably West Coast Shaving - Ocean (since, that is what is in my Old Spice Mug; but might be TOBS Jermyn St.), and BB/Slim/Futur/6S for one week each. Adjustable April. Rock on!

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Glad to be back...and April is a fave!

My selections:

Arko!!!!!!
    L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
    Shavettes
    Voskhod DE halves - fresh daily
    Pinaud Lilac Vegetal Aftershave Lotion

I reserve the right to random Gillette 195 on 9 when/if the mood strikes.

The goal is to keep on perfecting my shavette technique, probably with the Parker again.

Have a fun and insightful April!

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Rockwell. Nice! Yeah, there's a limit on how many answers the poll has. I used them all this month.

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Indeed, I just checked. It's maxed out.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Still working my way through samples from The Soap Pass-around Volume II - 2017. Then there's all the great soaps I picked up in trades the last few months. I won't forget about my grated stick of Arko pressed into a snap lid container, but I'm not sure if I'll get to it.
    Don't need much encouragement to use my favorite Adjustable. The '59 Fat Boy (E4) is always pegged at 9 for first pass no matter if it's loaded with a Voskhod, Feather, or which ever blade shows up next. With Brian @mrchick slinging around, and MAYhem on the horizon - the Weck Sextoblade & Bantam will make regular appearances.
    Ready? Steady? GO!

7. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I plan to start trying the many many creams and soaps I now have. Using a different one every day, I will spend April trying creams (I have 25), and then all of May and into June on soaps (I have 40). I will keep everything else consistent. I will use one razor and will make it an adjustable, my Black Beauty, and will load with the same blade throughout, the Topaz Platinum. Brush will probably usually be my Supply Provision synthetic brush to give consistent performance for test driving the different creams and soaps.

However in deference to the proposed monthly focus, I will start April with a couple days of Arko, and will maybe use it now and then during the month for a reliable break from the various mostly new-to-me creams.

8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

When I'm focused I will be comparing g finishing homes, Shapton glass 16k and Zulu Grey. I will through I'm a few Arko shaves for good measure.

9. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I will be focusing on one thing only this month: enjoying every shave thoroughly. Arko and adjustables are sure to make multiple (though not exclusive) appearances. This month is about achieving the desired end result with whatever tools happen to strike my fancy on any given day. The desired end result? 15 minutes of stress-free me time and continuously consistent results across my shave arsenal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I think I am going to continue my No Focus Focus. I will give some preferential treatment to Arko and Adjustables, but will continue to spread the shaving love around. I am looking forward to a great month!

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

My major focus will be finalizing my choices for my Birthday Blitz(which is next month). I'll put in the orders as this month nears its end. But that leads to another focus-setting up some solid "mix/match soap or cream/aftershave" combos. With the purchases I'm thinking about, there should be some good combos ahead. As for shaving itself, I hope to improve on my loading(based on the strong one I had today), but my right(weak)arm had some pain recently, and I think a large part of it was due to doing right-hand loads(as well as left). Sticking with the strong hand is my way to go for this month(and presumably beyond). Besides, either left or right, I can't do it as fast as those I watch on Youtube. Anyway, Happy Arko Adjustable April, everyone, and let's get "focusin'"

12. Screwtape

That sounds like an absolutely fabulous plan! Wishing you every success in achieving that worthy goal.

13. Screwtape

Hey, it sounded like it worked really well last month, so why mess with success?

14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I love it when a plan comes together.

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That's two things I'd have difficulty doing....a different shave plan every day(in a month), and using the same plan ALL month.

16. Screwtape

Hope the arm pain is nothing serious. As for YouTube, I wouldn't worry about even trying to match speed or results with what's shown: firstly, they only show the successes and not the 17 previous attempts, and secondly, with the speed, you never know how much "boring footage" got cut in the middle. It's your shave; do it your way to satisfy yourself.

Here's to good April shaves and some solidly enjoyable "me time" for you!

17. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I'm in! this month will continue to be something of a non-focus, but will lean heavily on my adjustable razors, particularly the Slim, SA, and Schick Adjustable. I may try and minimize the Fatboy use since it's gotten so much lately, anyway.

18. Screwtape

I said that's what I was planning to do - now. That doesn't mean it's what I will actually do - then. A huge number of my shaves wind up simply being tagged "off focus"...

19. Screwtape

Did you have a cigar clenched in your teeth as you said that? :)

20. Screwtape

Ah, flexibility! The essence of a good plan! Enjoy the month!