Lapping Film for Honing

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Spyder, Jun 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Guys:
    Honing can be a rabbit hole for upcoming honemeisters and rock collectors alike:) I got my feet wet using lapping film for razor touch up with the 3 & 1 micron diamond film. This worked out well and still today, I use the 1 micron film as my finisher.

There are a number of newer gentlemen that have joined the dark side and are questioning "what hones do I get?" I generally will throw out lapping film as a "gateway drug" to honing. It works well and is cheaper than dirt. Easy enough to get one's feet wet so to speak. However the information is scattered throughout the forum. I was hoping that this thread might be helpful for those that may have an interest in using lapping film to get started.

I know that @Billyfergie provide a lot of information and assistance for me.:D

Keithmax, HolyRollah, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  3. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I have some of that "Gateway Drug" but have never used it. Therre was so little about it out there that I went straight for the Naniwa set.

Sent from my phone using some app

Karl G, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I Learned to Hone On Lapping Film..Its a 1st Rate Hone..Up there with Any Current Synthetic Stones..For Bevel Setting I Would Suggest a 1 K Naniwa Pro Stone..12 Micron 9 Micron, 5 Micron, 3 Micron & 1 Micron..1 Micron is the Same as a 16 K Stone as a Finisher..I Have Used 15 Micron Diamond Film as a Bevel Setter but its Expensive & Wears Out Fast with Heavy Work..:D

I Would Recommend Chro/Ox Film for the Progression as its a Far Smoother Cutter than Diamond Film & Much Cheaper..It Also Offers Far More Cushion..I Still Use 16 K or 1 Micron Film to this Very Day in My Honing Arsenal..Its Not a 2nd Rate Honing System by Any Standards..Its a Great Progression for Honing Ones Own Razors but Not Ideal for Pro Honers as it Takes More Laps or Sets than Say a Naniwa Super Stone Progression..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Drygulch, Keithmax, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  5. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Thank you Billy. On your expert opinion I will put the lapping sheets into my next honing. Now I also know what order to use them in. I have always been unsure what order to use them.

Sent from my phone using some app

6. Billyfergie

Its Great Stuff..A 1 K Bevel Setting Stone is Advisable..90/95 % of the Work is on the 1 K Bevel Stone Anyway..I Must Say..15 Micron Diamond Film Cuts Much Faster than a Naniwa 1 K Pro Stone but it Wears Out Quite Fast when Doin Heavy Work..:happy088:

gssixgun, Karl G and Spyder like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I still use the 1 micron diamond for a finisher. The diamond is finally wearing a little, as the edges seem to be a little smoother (?) I've got some wickedly sharp blades off the diamond film, where it took a few shaves to tame the edge down somewhat. I'm going to go with the chromium oxide with the next sheet.

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  8. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Fully recommend the lapping film route for those new and not sure how deep of a hole they are ready to jump into. I've settled into having the initial hone done professionally and then refreshing with mostly 1 micron film and now a white Arkie. I have gotten excellent results. :happy088:

On occassion I've taken a shave ready razor from eBay back to the 3 micron and progressed from there. Having some razors honed professionally ensures you'll get a good bevel and a great shave. As importantly, you can use the feel on your thumb and your beard as a benchmark for how a razor should feel.

I am inching down that rabbit hole now having just picked up what will hopefully be an Escher/possible Thuri as another finisher.

[​IMG]

A black Arkie may not be too distant on the horizon either. :happy097:

Drygulch, AGHisBBS, gssixgun and 3 others like this.
  9. Billyfergie

:signs011:..The Potential Issue with Lapping Film is that when it Wears it Can Hone an Edge Way Beyond its Grit Rating..So..Say 1 Micron = 16 K..When Worn & Smooth that Same 1 Micron Can Take an Edge Out to 20 K or 20 K +..Its Just Down to Getting to Know You're Hones..:D

Some Steel Like Sheffield for Example Doesn't Like a Higher Grit Finish..They Just Become Lethal..15/16 K is about Optimal for Sheffield Hollow Grinds..Paradoxically I Find that Sheffield Wedges or Near Wedges Can Handle a 20 K Edge No Problem..:eek:

So..When its Worn Like that..Less Sets is Required Sometimes..Knowing Youre Steel Helps..Hard Steel Blades or Current Dovos Etc Can Handle 20 K or So No Problem I Find..But..Yeah..You Should Find the Chro/Ox to Offer a Smoother Edge..It Cuts a Tad Slower which for Me is a Bonus for a Finisher & Has More Cushion..:happy088:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  10. Billyfergie

Hone Hogger..:rofl:

Keithmax, Spyder and Karl G like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Wet feet in honing is a big no-no. ALWAYS dry your feet thoroughly before grasping the razor in your dominant foot. Add talcum powder if it improves your grip.

:scared003:

12. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Want a banana?

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

:p

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  14. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'll have to pick up a few sheets to try. Most of my hones are for knives and tools, so not fine enough for a final hone on a SR.

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  15. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

I too have a whole progression of lapping film. Started with a King 1/6, CNAT, then 1 micron film. Never worked out too well, until I added the 3um. Guess the CNAT probably wasn't much higher than 6-7k.
    For some reason I just never got too good of results from film alone, ended up with ananiwa SS 400, Chosera 1k and SS progression to 12k. For touch ups I use a Modular Paddle strop with wool felt and diamond spray 1um, 0.5, and 0.25.
    Think Ill pull out the film tomorrow and hone something....

16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I touched up a razor last night on the 3/1 I'm. I'll test drive it tonight.

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  17. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Billy is speaking truth listen to what he is telling you

about 90% of honing occurs at the bevel set, and at this point in time we haven't found anything that beats a good quality 1k hone..
    I saw there is once again a 1k honing challenge going on over at SRP where you hone on the 1k as best you can, strop on Linen/Leather and shave, trust me you will be very surprised at just how good a well set bevel will shave :)
    Lapping film works and works PDQ :) I still have a setup tucked away for experimenting

ps: The only razors I found lapping film to be lacking on were the older Sheffield stuff,, especially the older smiling blades.. Just wasn't a good fit for me those razors

18. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Good advise from Billy and Glen. Once the bevel is set lapping film works great.

19. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Any pictures of a lapping paper setup for a guy with a limited imagination looking to try honing? :D

AGHisBBS, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  20. Billyfergie

With the Non Sticky Back Film All You Need is One Piece of Flat Glass or Marble Cut to Around 6 & 3 or 8 & 4..Or Something Like that..The Water will Act as a Vacuum & Keep it Flat..The Down Side of the Sticky Back Film is that You Need Multiple Plates..I Have Already Noted the Progression Above & that About Sums it Up..:happy088:

Karl G, dustmite and Spyder like this.