A small guide to single edge blades

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by HoosierTrooper, Mar 30, 2012.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I really enjoy the Chinese Schicks more than any other inj. blade I've used, but if the Personna beauty shop blades can be had cheaper (no idea if they can or not), how do they compare shave-wise?

Karl G likes this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Tom, thanks for some great info. With fleamarket season fast approaching, now if I find a SE razor I'll know where/how to get blades for it.
    4.0 job!

Jim99 and twhite like this.
  3. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Lots of specific, great knowledge on SE blades....Thanks!
    Ok, so I kinda jumped the gun getting into safety razor shaving, but I just bought a British made Ever Ready razor online. I haven't rec'd it yet, but the pics did have shots of "made in England" on the head. It has an art deco handle and two grooves at the bottom of the handle. Did I pick the right razor to start safety razor shaving with?

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am sure you did. British ER's are awesome. A pic in the SE party is a must when it arrives!! So first SE razor or first safety razor period?

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I just did some reviewing of the 'three bevel' vs 'two bevel'. It's a crock!

There is no functional reason why a three bevel blade should be sharper than a two. A three bevel blade might be slightly stronger, but with the kind of metal and usages we are seeing, it's not going to make a difference. In fact, straight razors are two bevel, and I strongly suspect that DE's are two bevel. The reason for the second bevel is to make the edge "fatter". That 1) allows honing to take place with less metal removal, and 2) puts more metal behind the edge to reduce wire edge, folding, and direct impact damage.

I suspect that the only reason for the 'three bevel' blades is because they decided that a three stage grinding process was smoother for deeper insertion into tissue. Each time you grind, you want to reduce the amount of swarf created - thus moving the bevel. The sharper edge isn't because of the three bevels, it's because they're made for dissection.

Anyone who has done dissection - how wide are the slices made for the slides?

6. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

First safety razor ever. Really looking forward to it. I'd love to post a pic there when it arrives.

twhite likes this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Sounds like you have yourself a 1912. They are great razors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is awesome! i think too often new shavers over look the SE. To me is is a great choice! Pics are a must.
    I agree you probably have a 1912.

You said it!

Ijustmissedthe50s and twhite like this.
  9. Master.Legend

Master.Legend Member

This thread is amazing for a new commer thanks!!! $$$

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There is also a thread for SE and Injectors. Check it out too.

Master.Legend likes this.
  11. RetLEO-07

IMG_0413.JPG
    Coming to a GEM Featherweight near you(top right) this Sunday

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Good man

Proceed along the path!

13. RetLEO-07

Aye aye Sgt Fuzzy!

wchnu likes this.
  14. Master.Legend

Master.Legend Member

Can you link it here?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Master.Legend likes this.
  16. captnronfl

captnronfl Well-Known Member

Boy I can tell you that I will be finding a way to get my Feathers that I have for my El Jefe and Hawk to work in my dads Schick g model.
    I just bought these off the bay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schick-Inje...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Look at the price for these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Feather-Art...727765&hash=item25d22b0857:g:IuYAAOSwXYtY0Weo

By the way I am not sure that my dad's razor is a g model.
    I will say the tab that keeps the blade tight does not move.
    Also what ever the handle is made of crumbles under pressure from my finger nail.
    Does anyone know how to fix it.
    I really want to shave with it.
    Here's a picture.
    img_2820.jpg

Billyfergie likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I think it's a G...I think. Not sure why the plastic handle would be disintegrating.

18. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

That's definitely a G1 Injector. I'll leave it to the experts to weigh in on whether the handle is Bakelite or Plastic and why it might be crumbling.

As for the AC blades... As I understand it, you just need to cut down the length. The issue is getting them into the razor. The easiest way would be to load the cut-down blade into an empty Injector magazine.

Billyfergie likes this.
  19. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

That's Got the Hallmarks of a Chemical Cleaner..There Has been a Chemical Melt Down of the Handle..Its Scrap..:sad024:

Billy..:chores016:

twhite likes this.
  20. captnronfl

captnronfl Well-Known Member

Would dish washing soap do that?
    I can't imagine my dad using anything else on it.
    In fact he hardly used it if at all.
    He used an electric for as long as I can remember.
    My sister gave it to him on one of his birthdays.
    Not sure which one.
    I wounder if super glue will work with it like they use on pens, razor handles, etc.

Billyfergie likes this.