Honing Stones and Strop

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jimjo1031, Jun 29, 2017.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'm asking this for someone's Grandson who is getting into straight razors. Basically it's this, what stones could he get at a good price? Maybe a set so he wouldn't have to order separate stones. Also what strops could he also acquire at a decent price?

Karl G, Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  2. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

Great strop, $50 .. Tony Miller plain chocolate. Decent strop, Whipped Dog poor man's kit. Comes with a pasted balsa strop to help keep the edge between honing... $25, but will eventually want a proper/full size strop.

As far as hones, that opens a while new can of possibilities. He won't need any at first, and should become proficient at shaving and stropping first.

A good finishing hone ( Naniwa 12k ) would be a good starting point. Learn to refresh an edge, then to hone. A full set of Naniwa stones is a few hundred dollars. (1, 3 or 5,8,12k will be a good set)

On the cheap, and functional.. king 1/6k combo ($28) Chinese Natural ( $30-$40 ) and a true finisher, like the Naniwa 12k, will get the job done. I originally used a king 1/6 and CNAT followed by chromium oxide pasted balsa with good results. However, now I have a full set of Naniwa Super Stones, and Shapton pro stones... So really don't use the older set up.

And then there is Lapping film... Cheap, works well.

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

4. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

If you want to buy once. Either a Naniwa 1K and a Naniwa 3&8 or a Norton 4&8. You can get a nice shaving edge at that point. For an added kick the Naniwa 12k or any natural finisher.

Karl G likes this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

A barbers hone from the bay will go a long way with just maintaining an edge.

Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Skip the stones and hones at first.
    Get a good strop.
    Have the razor honed professionally until one can master SR shaving. Once you know what to do with a straight razor and how to strop it effectively and efficiently, then one can possibly consider delving into honing.
    Trying to master all three aspects (shaving, stropping and honing) simultaneously makes the job considerably more challenging and frustrating, IMO.

gssixgun, Keithmax, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  7. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Stones can wait. Lapping film is a cheap alternative if you are just looking to refresh an edge (vs. setting a bevel and doing a full honing progression.) Get some sheets of 1 micron lapping film, a flat piece of glass or ceramic tile, a spray bottle, and you are all set. You can use some paste on a strop or a finer grade of lapping film if you want to put a finer touch on the edge than what the 1 micron will provide. Very small investment. :happy088:

1976MGB and Spyder like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I started without any stones, just a strop and pasted balsa strop. I agree just learn to shave first, learning to hone is harder than learning to shave, at least it is for me. In the beginning if he needs to fix the edge send it to a pro, while you are learning to shave you need to know your edge is good.

Karl G, gssixgun and Spyder like this.
  9. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    My goto recommendation for a Strop has been the same for many many years now

Google:
    Illinois #827 or #127 same strop different finish

#827 is a Russian rougher finish with a heavy draw that I personally love
    #127 is a slicker smoother draw that works just fine especially for a beginner

They both have a fine weave linen component that actually works and works VERY well after it is broken in ..

They should be under $50 delivered to the door

There is a huge thread about Hones and what each user needs on here in the sticky on SR shaving, but I also don't think a hone in a beginners hands helps the learning curve in the least..
    Stropping is a much over looked skill mostly because people rush to the hones :(

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I can vouch for the 827. It's a very good strop.

Karl G, Spyder and HolyRollah like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Agreed. Affordable & quality. Built-to-last.

All these strop postings have me re-reading my typed input as auto-correct has me constantly advising newcomers to "....strip before each shave"....:o:rolleyes005::D

Keithmax, DaltonGang, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Makes sense to me. I always strip first

13. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

IMG_0260.JPG

Karl G, Keithmax, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  14. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I don't see the problem. I tend to shave in the shower.

Karl G and Keithmax like this.