Before and After Restoration Thread.

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Great save, Scott!

Kokak and Kizurra like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

W.H.Morley & Sons "Clover Brand.
    Before:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After;

P6141010.JPG
    P6141011.JPG

brit, Keithmax, TheFiveO and 7 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

Hoshitombo 6000, Folding Kamisori. It cost $12.50, so I rolled the dice.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After::
    Hoshitombo 6000.JPG

brit, Keithmax, Kokak and 3 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

Here is a little restoration. It was much bigger than it looked. There were chips in the blade, and a new bevel was needed. This cast steel was rock hard.

Before: George Wostenholm & Sons IXL.
    P6281039.JPG

After
    P7011049.JPG

Enrico, brit, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  5. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

I don't have a before..... Cleaned these up this evening! IMG_7162.JPG IMG_7163.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, Keithmax, Kokak and 2 others like this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

DaltonGang, Kokak and Heljestrand23 like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I couldn't resist this one, since it came so cheap. Pretty good shape, with the personal "inscription " of some previous owner:$
    A little sanding, a little polishing, and a trip to the hones and this Robeson will earn his keep. Excellent shaver:)

IMG_1044.JPG IMG_1021.JPG IMG_1043.JPG

brit, Keithmax, HolyRollah and 5 others like this.
  8. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

This is the first restore I have done in a long time. I won this at an auction along with some other blades. I am partial to the Sheffield blades so off to work I went. I want to give huge thanks to Glenn @gssixgun and my friend Marty for all the tips and encouragement. Also, thank you to all of you who post your work and give tips. I couldn't have done this without you. My pinning at the pivot point leaves a lot to be desired, but this blade is more utilitarian. I left a lot of pitting because I wanted to save as much metal as possible. I am sad though in that I lost the blade etching.
    BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]

I went up to 1500grit paper before polishing it with lots of Maas. I sell detail supplies so I have lots of high grit papers.

Thanks again to everyone for your posting tips and encouragement

brit, Keithmax, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  9. TheFiveO

Great job buddy! How do you avoid sanding out the impression on the blade? Mine used to say "Medium Hollow Ground" but after sanding, most all the words are gone.

DaltonGang and mrchick like this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

What a makeover! Nice job on that old fella :happy088:

Kokak likes this.
  11. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Is there a before and after for DE? Didn't see one.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Kokak likes this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Kokak likes this.
  13. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Finally found some flitz locally and decided to see how much a few things would clean up. Needless to say Im happy with how they came out. Unfortunately now I really need to redo the inside of my tuckaway case. Sadly the pics don't do then justice but the tuckaway was a huge improvement.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

brit, BigMark83, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Well, for me, I weigh out what I want the end results to be. Some razors have deep pitting, close to the lettering. If you want all of the pitting out, lettering might be compromised. It's up to you, as to how far you want to go. I don't start out any more aggressive than 320 grit, around stamped lettering, if I can help it. Take your time.

Spyder, mrchick and Kokak like this.
  15. TheFiveO

I'll keep that in mind next time. Thank you. Due to pitting, I had to go all the way down to 80 grit so emblems didn't stand a chance

Kokak, Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  16. DaltonGang

Very nice work, on the scales.:happy088:

Kokak and Spyder like this.
  17. DaltonGang

I believe it was @HolyRollah who advised on this subject, while back. He suggested that when he has excessive pitting, that cannot be removed, just polish it up with wet/dry sandpaper, and don't use buffing compounds. Sometimes less polish on pitted blades, shows less pitting in the end. It works. If you take the shine down, on this blade, to around an 800 grit, and work your was back to 1200-1500(subjective preferences), you might get less noticeable pitting. Please don't take offense to any of my advise, this is all a matter of taste, and is very subjective. Also, each razor behaves differently to restorations.

Kokak, TheFiveO, Spyder and 1 other person like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

By the way, the shinier the surface, the more glaringly obvious the pitting becomes on the blade face or tang.

Kokak, TheFiveO, Spyder and 1 other person like this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks , Scott; especially for the tips so that I could get these in this condition:)

Kokak and DaltonGang like this.
  20. TheFiveO

No offense taken, thank you for your input.

I see your point there. I will save the Uber shine for blades in better condition. Thanks Kevin

Kokak, mrchick and DaltonGang like this.