July 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which of the following will you use during July?

1. Traditional Straight Razor

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. DE Safety razor

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. SE razor

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Popsicle Stick Razor

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Sharpened Ax

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Katana sword

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Slightly sharpened butter knife

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cookies. I'm here for the cookies. Why, oh why do you torment us this way?

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  9. Pain Stick

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Shavette

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

July 30, 2017
    Above the Tie Calypso R1
    Feather (1)
    Rubberset 400 with WSP HMW
    Dirty Deeds Arroyo Cactus
    Floid Blue

[​IMG]

Up for weekend duty is the ATT Calypso R1. The Calypso R1 is the aluminum version of their stainless R1 safety bar razor. The Calypso R1 weighs in at 40 grams with a 0.58mm blade gap. The Rubberset 400 with its huge HMW knot makes face lathering a joy and whipped up a mountain of lather. I decided to go with a traditional 3 pass shave this morning. Even though I paid attention and stretched my skin during the shave, I still had more touch ups than yesterday. Overall the results were near perfect but the shave could have been smoother. A splash of some witch hazel with menthol followed by Floid Blue settled everything down. I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Envy 'Eight Ball' White Two Band
    MDC Original 'Le Bol en Bois'
    OneBlade Genesis V1
    Folsom Shambala
    TOBS Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet

[​IMG]

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful picture, Clint!

4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Great setup amigo! :happy096: We haven't seen that brush in a while.:eatdrink047:

5. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Mark!

6. Norcalnewb

IMG_0514.JPG

Jul 30 SOTD:

Rubberset 400 w/Tuxedo
    Stirling Ben Franklin SS
    Schick Type G3
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Stirling Ben Franklin AS

I got the Ranger Tech out this morning, and some odd spot was on the edge of the razor and blade. Not sure what it was, but I didn't try to clean up the blade. So, I got out this Injector for the first time in a while. It was a nice smooth shave with one of my favorite soaps. I hope everyone has a great Sunday!

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great setup Mark. Love the background.

8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I have to admit I got a decent lather this morning. It was a little more work than I like but very slick. All in all a very nice shave.
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap
    Wolf Whiskers Brush
    Craftsman Wedge Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    Old Spice Lime After Shave
    Have a blessed Sunday![​IMG]

9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

July 29, 2017

Razor: Custom Schick G1 Injector
    Blade: Schick Proline B (1)
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Cream: KMF fragrance-free

For various reasons, I opted for a before bed shave last night.

It's been an interesting week as I've gotten to try the Proline blade in a couple of different razors. I think I'm also coming to understand why I haven't been a big fan of the Schick G1 in the past. I finally came to realize that the G1 really requires more of a "ride the cap" technique than some other injectors. I tend to use an Injector like a Gem SE and lay it flat on my face with the blade cover and safety bar touching. A G1, however, has a smaller and closer safety bar and this (I think) creates too steep a blade angle. For me, the answer seems to be to try for a slightly shallower angle. This made for a more enjoyable shaving experience, but I think the Proline might be too much blade for this razor (at my current skill level). I ended up with a BBS with one weeper and some definite heat from the Alum.

10. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

July 30th
    Gillette NEW LC w Nacet (2)
    Stirling Gin and Tonic
    WD HM Badger/ Cypress Handle
    Thayers
    Booster Polar Ice AS
    image.jpg
    Day 15 of the NEW focus, 2nd with the Nacet. Last day of the focus and another nice shave this morning. I'm really enjoying this WD knot reset deeper into this new handle. A great smelling lather and an uneventful 3 pass shave finished off with the Booster again. Nice, cheap stink.
    This has been a fruitful focus this month for 2 reasons. First, I have really enjoyed the NEW LC. I will be keeping and using this beauty. Second, the advice from Chris (skin stretching upward from jawline) and Clint (opening mouth to further move skin up jawline) has really made a difference and inproved the quality of my shaves without touch ups. Much appreciated, Gents.
    Enjoy your Sunday, all!

11. jtspartan

Love that photo effect again, Jim. Great set up!

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Gents. Mark it has been a while since I brought out this beast of a brush.

13. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Jason! The Cyprus handle is purty!

14. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Jason!

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful photo Jim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo and setup. In my opinion the New is one of the best Gillette razors ever made. I find it to be a perfect blend of smoothness and efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SharptoothC, Screwtape, RyX and 3 others like this.
  17. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

One thing that I've determined with The Fat is that it absolutely needs soaking before use. I soak the soap while showering and then load with a big boar brush. Never experienced issues. One of my favorite soaps!

18. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Going through more Pass Around soap samples. Yesterday was Stirling Electric Sheep. Unlathered, the scent is extremely potent, and smells to me like a strong citronella candle. However, once it is lathered it mellows out a bit. Not my favorite Stirling scent, but not off-putting once it's lathered. As always, great Stirling performance.

Today's shave was Mystic Water Raspberry Lemon. This scent smelled strong as a sample but really was hard to pick up much scent once lathered. Also, the lather was extremely slick, with plenty of residual slickness between passes, so performance was great. However, I was not able to make a thick dense lather from the soap at all. Having experimented in the dark ways, I am finding That I value slickness over dense lather, so this wasn't a huge problem, but most of my top soaps allow me to take the lather in eitherdirection, depending on how much water I choose to add. This one did not.

19. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Clint!

20. jtspartan

Thank you, Jim. I'm enjoying the brush for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.