January 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2017.

?

Any New Year's Resolutions for your shaves?

1. Go Dark Side and learn straights this year.

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Purchase your dream razor and live happily ever after.

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Use up some of the excess soaps/creams I've been stockpiling.

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Limit purchases of shaving gear to less than 25% of my gross income.

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. No Buy 2018!

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Cookies. Just going to eat cookies.

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  7. I solemnly resolve that I am up to no good.

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyX

RyX DoH!

It is a beautiful tool. Quite efficient as well. Using the same unorganized rotation of my gear tends to numb me to the quality of shaves I get. This modern DE seems to have a notch up on my vintage gear. Closer tolerances, no wear, tear, bumps, and bruises to get the parts out of alignment.
    I'll give the 101mm handle and SB base a try next shave. The down side of getting great reduction is I can't do 7 shaves in a week before I send it back! When it does return to James @LOOT I'll be trying out a vintage NOS NIB DE from 1930's Germany. (See below)

Slants? I've heard the "It's a G-Slide" & "Solution for a problem that doesn't exist" statements. Still I'm a sucker for interesting gear. Having done both shavettes and SR's, tried out Gem type SE but preferred Schick injectors, run though the history of Gillette, been recently in modern Futur Cloneland, and currently dipping my toe in high end Blackbird tech - there's slants!
    Better mousetrap it may be, but I'm looking forward to rubbing a little polish on my recently acquired almost 80 year old brand new toy. I might even commit to a (drum roll...) Rule. Naw, kidding. Too many soaps & AS to do that. Surely a comparative Focus to see how it compares to other DE's in my pile o' blade holders.

2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

January 27th
    GEM Jr. w Gem Stainless (6)
    TGN Synthetic/ Mahogany
    Jeeves of Hudson St Key Lime SS
    Thayers
    Pinaud Clubman
    B2520D4F-68AF-4CF5-BB0D-4F070D1203C8.jpeg
    Evening shave tonight as my wife and I are going to a movie sans kids. Continuing the focus with the GEM and back to a Jeeves product today. 3 nice passes with this excellent combo. No touch ups and I’d call this a DFS. Finished with the Clubman, as I was inspired by a number of you with Pinaud products this week and I realized it had been awhile since I pulled it out. Rest assured G Men, this did not come across a border via the USPS.
    Have a great weekend all!

4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Keith!

5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Fantastic picture, Jason!

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wonderful picture Jason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That picture is awesome!!!!

sdguero, LOOT, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

75604B37-4640-407B-A983-692395BEF7F8.jpeg
    Thank You @Bama Samurai! Fantastic shaves the last few days with the Wilkinson soap he PIFed me. The lather, slickness and protection are great. The scent is a cross between Tide and Irish Spring and I really like it! Of all the great accents out there I tend to prefer “traditional” soap scents. They’re like comfort scents.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I could never figure out how to describe the scent. I like that description.

sdguero, LOOT, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sounds unmistakably clean. No doubt it's soap and not an ice cream topping. Does it linger on the skin after the shave? Do you have an aftershave to enhance & continue the scent?

I have two that are kind of food scented, but I still like them. A York peppermint patty scented, and raspberry lemon. Don't have AS to match at all.

sdguero, LOOT, Drygulch and 8 others like this.
  11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

There’s not much post shave feel, it’s a little like Arko in that regard; the scent hangs around about like Arko as well, so many aftershaves will work. I actually have been looking for a Wilkinson aftershave that will hopefully smell the same way. Or I guess any aftershave that smells similar.

sdguero, Keithmax, LOOT and 9 others like this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Try clubman musk or citrus musk maybe.

sdguero, LOOT, Drygulch and 8 others like this.
  13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

January 2018

Shavettes and Jeeves January!

January 27
    Razor - 1959 (E4) Gillette Fatboy (6)
    Blades - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Jeeves of Hudson Street Bay Rum
    Brush - 30 DC LE
    Post -Alum

Saturday night and we are close to the end of the month. Don't want to try a shavette yet with the remnants of the cut, but I can certainly do Jeeves again. The Bay Rum with the 30DC LE for the lather win.

Fatboy with Sharp Star for the big win as two passes and touch up work brings the near-BBS. Wife is happy because she loves the scent of this soap. I need to get a true Bay Rum again just to do a comparison. I've gotten very used to the Jeeves take on Bay Rum. Definitely a great variation. All in all a great shave tonight.

We are just four days away from February and it's time to pick out some Favorites. Razor(s), Soap(s), Brush(es), you get the idea. It's also time to make sure you've voted on the MEET UP thread in the Chatterbox. I'll be setting the date for the big event this summer by the end of next week.

January 27 2018.jpg

14. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I have also been really impressed with Jeeves soaps. The two I have are outstanding.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

sdguero, LOOT, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It's a tough job but somebody has to do it. Glad the Yakuza is willing to carry that burden.

sdguero, LOOT, RyX and 6 others like this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

A few of us have been thrown out of far better places too. Not me,of course. Nope. Never. Well....maybe once.

sdguero, Keithmax, LOOT and 10 others like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's a great plan. Probably a fantasy. But, groundwork laid.

18. Bama Samurai

You're most welcome! Very happy to hear it treated you right!

sdguero, wristwatchb, LOOT and 9 others like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

January MMXVIII - Shavettes with the 30DC!

[​IMG]

Yesterday went well, so today was a rerun. Worked out just great!

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!
    :)

MR41, sdguero, Linuxguile and 12 others like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

One hour late night reggae background music suggestion....

You may now return to your regularly scheduled shenanigans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.