Modern Machined Stainless Steel Adjustable Toggle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by blashe, Feb 25, 2018.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Hugh Hefner & Elvis had a Style. The Cardassians, Dustin Diamond, Lindsay Lohan, etc.
    Up to each individual to choose their style.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

On the Mohs hardness scale brass measures about 3-4 and gold about 2.3-3. Stainless steel is in the 5-6.5 range depending on its composition. So, first you have a much harder and therefore wear-resistant metal, and second on the the Janus, there is no plating to wear off.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  3. eddieb20842

eddieb20842 Active Member

Wear resistant...yes, but wear proof...no. Janus, in my estimation, did not solve the wear issue on the bottom lever just by changing the metal composition. His design is as flawed as the original in that with time the bottom lever will display wear marks too. Can we agree that metal rubbing on metal results in wear and tear? You may have a different opinion, and I respect that, but thinking that his lever design is flawless compared to the original is stretching it. At $525-$625 a pop, one should expect a flawless design.

Please keep in mind that I'm not looking to offend anyone, I'm only trying to present another point of view.

Keithmax, Dansco and RyX like this.
  4. kfbrady

I agree with you. That particular design flaw can be minimized but not totally eliminated. It could well be the reason that the Toggle had a very short production life before being superseded by the much improved Fatboy.

I suspect a stainless version will eventually show wear, but probably not in yours or my lifetimes.

brit, Keithmax, Dansco and 1 other person like this.
  5. eddieb20842

And I agree with you too! It's nice to be back to the Den after so many years away. More importantly, it's a pleasure to participate in a thread without being ridiculed, challenged in a bullying way, etc.
    So much to learn, so little time!!!

6. kfbrady

If I came across as ridiculing or challenging, then I sincerely apologize. That was not my intention.

I too am lucky enough to be able to afford any razor or car - well, a Bentley might be a challenge! - that I could want, and the only thing that matters is your own perception and value of it.

7. eddieb20842

Not at all. I appreciated your comments and found them informative. Take care!

brit, Keithmax, Dansco and 1 other person like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you for engaging in pleasant conversation Gentleman. That's what makes TSD entertaining, informative, and stress free.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

brit, wristwatchb, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

A J.R. Richard rookie card.

brit and John Ruschmeyer like this.
  10. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    WOW!! I am diggin' this. There goes NB'19 :happy102:

brit, wristwatchb, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very cool! ...... Looks a little slippery though.

brit and RyX like this.
  13. Str8on2

They’ll be Passivated then PVD coated to provide tactile grip. Water and lather shouldn’t be an issue.....

Keithmax, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

work of art and worth every penny i am sure..i i have seen guys spend $2k up on those big 24" + wheels for their cars and trucks.they are heavy and offer no performance gains,crap ride, but they look cool in their eyes..flaws? all metal wears,the threads on tech razors wear ..on anything plated wear happens.i think a stainless toggle would outlive the owner if looked after.. gorgeous razors..
    i would buy one..

Keithmax, RyX and Str8on2 like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy088:

I looked at the site and wasn't sure I was seeing the price right. :shocked003:

RyX and Str8on2 like this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

From what I have read about the Toggle, It's main complaint was that it didn't always close the doors tight enough. But these doors have a different design to them. Looks nice tho.

RyX, Str8on2 and brit like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

i am planning as we speak..i foresee one in my future..:)

Keithmax, RyX and Str8on2 like this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Just pre-pay for it now and you're still good. :D

19. Str8on2

Actually, I didn’t clarify the pricing. A Passivated SS toggle will be $525 and a PVD SS coated toggle will be $625. No, these are not economy priced razors. But, to see someone try and produce one and try to correct the inherent flaws of the original has me hooked. I don’t know if he solved the puzzle and found a way to correct the toggle adjustment mechanism but, with Stainless Steel construction and if there is a problem in the future, I won’t see it in this lifetime....

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That problem is easy to solve. Hardness test the metal in Rockwell C scale before and after plating then convert over to Shore A then use calibrated hard rubber piece on the end of the handle where it rubs with the toggle. You can QC test the rubber piece with a Durometer before assembling to make sure it is softer than the metal so there isn't any wear from rubbing.

With that said a poor plate job will still eventually wear and you can also test that to determine how many years once you know how much force is applied when it makes contact. You just make a simple testing device to run the toggle on that rubber piece like erasing a pencil and do it until the plating fades. Just stop every 50 or so times to examine the metal and keep the temperature from heating up too much which will influence the result in a way you wouldn't see in the real world. I doubt you can engineer this to never wear but if done right if took an equivalent of 100 years worth of opening and closing the toggle then the problem is solved as long as it can last a proverbial lifetime. You can also calibrate the spring if the rubber wears first to make sure when it does wear down it still holds the doors closed tight.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Keithmax and brit like this.