What Gillette razor is this?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Brickman301, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Ok, I have this GIllette razor, that belonged to my grandfather. I’ve been trying to figure out what model it is. I believe it’s an aristocrat or diplomat, but I’m not sure. That’s why I’m posting, because I know you guys will tell me. I have 2 of his razors, this one he used on special occasions. These two razors are my favorites of all the razors I own, and I’ve never used either of them. I also have two of his brushes I want to have restored. Anyways here some pictures. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Looks like an Aristocrat to me. It's one of the few TTO's I own that I will actually use on occasion. Mine gives me a smooth irritation free shave. :happy088:

Herm2502, gorgo2 and Brickman301 like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I would agree that it is an Aristocrat. I will check back and see what the experts say. I had a few. They shave nice! Great to have family stuff.

gorgo2, 178-bplatoon and Brickman301 like this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is an Aristocrat 47 - 50 based on the head saying PACKAGE and not PKG and also looks to to have notches on the center bar. If you still have the case someone might be able narrow it down further to the exact year it was made. The tip off it is an Aristocrat is the knob doesn't having knurling between the second ring and TTO knob.
    There is a picture of a Diplomat in this thread. You can see the handle difference in the photo.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gillette-diplomat-question.18280/

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

gorgo2, Linuxguile and Brickman301 like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I got one of them double edged thingies right!!

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I guess all that Williams soap :shaver hasn't melted your brain yet. :shocked029: ........:happy097:

PLANofMAN, gorgo2 and Linuxguile like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nope..I is still smert.

9. Brickman301

Thanks everyone!! I’ll post pictures of his other razor later tonight. Thanks again:happy088:

Enrico, gorgo2 and Linuxguile like this.
  10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Your grandfathers razor is a 1948-1950 Aristocrat . It would have came in a case like this one
    69C1787E-EBB4-4183-999B-371EC80E56E4.jpeg

AGHisBBS, gorgo2, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It's a REGUS PATOFF. Just kidding. Like @Jorvaljr said, it is a 1948-1950 Aristocrat. It is a nice razor. I have the 46-47 Aristocrat. It's my birth era razor.

gorgo2, jimjo1031 and Brickman301 like this.
  12. Brickman301

Unfortunately I do not have the original case, for this razor. Thanks for the help.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

:signs011: Great shaver...............

gorgo2, Brickman301 and Jorvaljr like this.
  14. Brickman301

I did some looking and found out his other razor is a super speed, made in the 2nd quarter of 1954.

AGHisBBS, gorgo2 and Jorvaljr like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have my Grandfathers 1957 Super Speed. I use it now and then.

gorgo2 and Brickman301 like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That razor gave me my first good DE shave several years ago. Paired with a Gillette Super Stainless it was such an eye opening shave I can still remember it.

17. spot705

spot705 Active Member

I wouldn't hesitate to use both of them. The 1954SS is an excellent daily driver and will give you a clean comfortable shave. The Aristocrat is perfect for "special occasions". It is a bit heavier than the SS and is one of the most beautiful razors ever.

Restoring a brush is a fairly easy DIY project and there are many posts in the brush forum with how-to's. But if you are all thumbs, there are places with restoration services. Razor Emporim (USA) and Shavemac (Germany).

Using an inherited razor and brush will give you a wonderful shaving experience. I am currently using my Father's old Gillette Slim and I love it. Like you, I have many razors in my collection, but I thoroughly enjoy using his ordinary, everyday, common, plain old Slim.

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Lets see the brushes :) ... I'm always crazy to see them. :shocked029:

19. Brickman301

@Enrico, here are the brushes. One is a Century, the other is a wooden brush with no markings. The wooden one is in really rough shape. I have since removed the Knott’s since these pictures were taken. I was going to restore them myself, but I’ve never worked on brushes before, and definitely didn’t want to start on these. I bought some other brushes that need work, to practice on, but I’ve never gotten around to them either. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayaruh likes this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I think @jimjo1031 could work wonders with that wooden one.

AGHisBBS, jimjo1031 and Brickman301 like this.