Post shave-am I doing it right?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PloDrr, Jul 27, 2018.

1. PloDrr

PloDrr Member

Typically after I shave it's a cold water rinse, maybe a splash of witch hazel if there are nicks/weepers. If it's a cut (because at 45 I still do that) or more than a couple of weepers, I'll hit with the alum block. However, I'm wondering as far as actual aftershave if I'm screwing it up. My "go to" is the Pinaud clubman, I like the scent and feel of it with the added bonus it's easy to get and cheap. But the alcohol makes skin a little dry at times.

I picked up some of the Pacific Shaving caffeinated lotion and have used that. I think it works great but I've missed the "Pinaud effect" so to speak, so I have started using the Pinaud 1st and after a little while follow-up with the lotion. I guess I'm trying to go for the best of both worlds, to be honest. Question is, does this make sense or have I gone full potato? Does anyone else do anything along these lines? Maybe use some classic Nivea cream from the blue tin after the AS?

Thanks in advance.

Edison Carter, PLAla and RyX like this.
  2. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Are you doing it right? If you're happy with the result, then you're doing it right.

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

To see the range of options that others choose, visit Shower or Shave of the Day threads. There are minimalist who list soap & razor and are quite content. At the other end of the spectrum are folks with a dozen products in their well presented photos. Neither is doing it wrong.

Here's an idea - I wonder if Pacific Caffeinated Lotion (Nice peppermint scent!) and Pinaud Clubman (Classic Barber Shop scent!) would blend in an old hot sauce bottle?

Edison Carter, Lancre and Paul Turner like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

What someone stop this man. How dare you use products you paid for in a manner you enjoy, such decadence.
    Wait, I do the same, forget my prior rant.
    I call it triple tap, alum, alcohol as, then a balm. Trick is to match them or at least get them to complement each other.
    And for Pete's sake do it behind closed doors. The missus will like the result, but roll her eyes at the process.
    I like some odd combos, sandalwood and rose, lime and coconut, lemon lime, orange(yuzu, bergamot) mixes well with most everything. Florida water and lime. Last night i mixed lavender and black licorice(all spice).
    I'm on a bender recently with lavender lime(or orange). The shave den has yin yang, sterling calls it Bergamot Lavender, both are good starts to finish many ways.
    I like the alcohol wash and burn, but finish with smooth soothe of a balm.
    If i get nicked I'll alum(or feel old, it tones up the skin).
    So rock on dude, enjoy your time and your shave.

Edison Carter, wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I also have dry skin so I’ll often follow an alcohol based aftershave with a little bit of unscented lotion.

Of course, if I use an aftershave balm then I skip the lotion.

Just a side note: If you only have one or two aftershaves then you can always add a little to some unscented lotion and make your own AS balm. Once you get past 100 different aftershaves then you have the problem of all the bottles of balm you’ve made so it’s easier to just rub a little lotion on afterwards.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Edison Carter, PLAla and RyX like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

quick morning shaves consist of proraso white pre while i eat,then lather up, 2 pass,witch hazel,shower, then splash.when i leave for work balm if needed. no issues...

Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I think a lot of guys add a balm or lotion after the AS. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Edison Carter, brit and RyX like this.
  8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Regardless of the quality of my shave I apply alum, then rinse with warm water, then apply Witch Hazel, then a scented or Unscented splash or balm. I find this has worked wonders for my ageing skin.

Pinaud Clubman has a powerful scent, but as you note, it can be drying. I would apply it, let it dry and then an hour later apply an Unscented balm to address the dryness. Or, if you are into complex scented blends...apply all different scented products and enjoy!

9. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

My post shave routine is nothing else than a splash of witch hazel directly followed by one of Stirling's balms. The balm adds back some of the fat lost by the soap/cream.

EDIT: The witch hazel already contains some alcohol, but sometimes I have been adding some extra alcohol to the bottle together with some menthol crystals to make it more like an AS. The latest time I have been to lazy for it, so it has been just witch hazel followed by balm.

Edison Carter likes this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

If your face feels good, it’s between you and the woman/en in your life.

Edison Carter and Paul Turner like this.
  11. PloDrr

PloDrr Member

I guess I didn't express myself correctly. Perhaps "right" wasn't the right word. More of a "is there a better way to maximize the benefits of each of the AS" or am I cancelling them out, is there a synergistic effect or an additive effect or even from a chem-bio standpoint would the ingredients not work well together in that order.

Thank you everyone for your insights, I really appreciate it!

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

13. PloDrr

PloDrr Member

I'm trying REALLY hard to finish one bottle of _____ before I go and buy another to try. I have to say, I do like the Pacific shaving after shave lotion.

Edison Carter, PLAla and Linuxguile like this.
  14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Sometimes I like to follow an alcohol AS with an unscented balm. I've done this with Nivea sensitive but my favorite is Stirling Glacial Unscented. I will also take a dollop of unscented balm and a few drops of AS and mix them in my palm and then apply to my face.

Edison Carter and PLAla like this.
  15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

As others have said, feel free to use whatever you'd like in whatever progression. If it works for you and you like it then use it!

I splash on witch hazel followed by an alcohol splash. Sometimes I'll go with balm as well. I have Nivea sensitive balm (white bottle) and Stirling Glacial Unscented. I may one or two other balms that match soap scents.

You could also add some glycerin to the Clubman to make it a little more skin friendly.

Edison Carter and Linuxguile like this.