L'Essor Differential Open Comb DE Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jmudrick, Aug 9, 2018.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

L'Essor's better known safety razors are its wedge blade SE and ultra desirable Le Supreme Adjustable. This razor, vintage unknown but 1930s presumably, features open combs offering different levels of aggression on each side -- medium aggressive and aggressive. Weight is 59g. It is a supremely efficient shaver based on my initial experience. This example I acquired in apparently unused condition.

There is another Single Ring type handle version, and perhaps a three piece with a slightly different handle. This handle is extremely similar to the one found with my Famex cage razor, but it is not identical.

Any additional information regarding these razors is appreciated! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Keithmax, brit, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    They were made in France, and went out of business during World War II, like so many other French razor manufacturers.

I suspect you already knew that, but it wasn't mentioned in your post. :)

Keithmax, SevenEighth and jmudrick like this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yes thanks. Also worth noting is that the logo on the head is for Chamber Syndicale Des Couteliers Detaillants Francais" (Chamber Cutlery Retailers Union of France or something close to that). There's no L'Essor marking on the razor itself.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. GADback

GADback Well-Known Member

Great looking razor. If love to add one to my collection.

stanko likes this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

French eBay but they are quite uncommon.

6. RustyBlades

RustyBlades New Member

It is truly a shame that the CSDCDF went out of business. The quality of their products was nothing short of amazing. I have a few L'Essors, including the venerable "Le Supreme." Needless to say, it is the crown jewel of my collection. And to say that they are rare is an understatement. It took me two plus years of searching, every day, before I stumbled across one. I wasted no time acquiring it, and it is now part of my collection. I have included a few before and after pictures for your viewing pleasure. I might also mention that this is also my daily driver. No sense in owning one if you're not going to use it. ;)

22448251_10212738969182727_4592370483473862052_n.jpg e.jpg l.jpg s.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  7. brit

brit in a box

cool razor..

8. brit

brit in a box

very cool razor set..

9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Very impressed with this razor's efficiency, 12 hours on still near BBS after the usual two pass shave this morning, Treet Platinum blade. [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN, brit and jgreenepa like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

very cool..