A short review - Fatip Retro

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lightcs1776, Nov 15, 2018.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Both nickel and chrome are available.. my nickel plated Schone is absolutely gorgeous.

lightcs1776 and RyX like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I agree, in regards to the handle. I should have gone with a picalo (spelling?), I think. But the thin handle is helping me to keep off the pressure. My next Fatip will be a heavier handled one - this will likely not be the last.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

3. lightcs1776

OK, now I have to go look Schone.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

They do a serviceable job of polishing from the factory but a few minutes of hand polish really helps them shine.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  5. Rc02

Rc02 New Member

Question, did you ever get a piccolo? I have a piccolo and find that I can not get a good shave around the neck. I was thinking of getting the retro going that it would help maintain a angle and limit pressure. What are your thoughts?

6. lightcs1776

I did end up with a Fatip, I think a piccolo, but I have since passed it along. I am finding my most used razor, aside from straights, is an injector razor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7. Rc02

Rc02 New Member

8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I am fairly certain the head on these razors is the same, so the shave should be about the same. How long have you been using a DE, and how long have you been using this one in particular? In my experience, there is not a magic razor that will make the shaves wonderful all the time. That comes with technique, which comes with practice and repetition.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  9. Rc02

Rc02 New Member

Not too long. The piccolo shaves great on the cheeks however I get a lot of irritation on my neck. I'm an trying to find out if the short handle and the angle required on my neck is it. Hoping the longer handle on the retro might make for less pressure and a easier angle. For example the sloc I have no problem with.

10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Not too long with the piccolo or DE? The neck area is always one of the trickier spots to learn. I have not used the SLOC, but this is pretty similar to the PAA DOC, which I have used, and this is a fairly mild razor. The Fatip razors have a reputation for being fairly agressive, and technique is what helps out with this more than anything else. Check out the 30 Day Rule thread here for some good help with technique. These guys like to have lots of fun and there are lots of shenanigans, but they are definitely good at helping sort out technique and razor issues. It may help you save a bit of money chasing razors looking for the perfect shave. Of course, you may find yourself buying more razors just because, but I can't help with that. :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  11. Rc02

Rc02 New Member

Ok I'll check that out. I appreciate it. Interesting points.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I never felt comfortable with the Retro handle; too thin and slippery.

However, the Fatip wooden handles are great, in my opinion. Just the right dimensions and heft.

Plus; they look classy. I have the walnut handle since 2016, and it ages beautifully. No cracks due to water absolutely.

Hogie, Enrico and IAmTheJody like this.