Gillette Rocket, the refined DE.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MTgrayling, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy088: :happy088:

brit likes this.
  2. Jel999

Jel999 New Member

The photos at the start of this thread are now missing. It says something about photobucket is full. Is this just me or is this the same for everyone ? Sorry for being vague but i'm not particularly computer savvy. Many thanks.

brit and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I was thinking it was due to inactivity of the member not being here since 2014. I don't know?

4. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the Photobucket Hotlink Issue?

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/ph...photos-embedded-web/?hotlinkfix=1526392602036

There may be fixes for it depending on which browser you are using. Just do a google search.

5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Thank you for the treasure of information on the Gillette rockets, you have spent a lot of time and effort, I noticed you have not visited the site for some time and thanks were ever you are heaven or earth!

6. boingo

boingo Member

What a thread! Was offered one of these Rockets in trade. Should be here in a few days!

7. brit

brit in a box

i have the same arist jr in mint shape with instructions.great razor.

preidy and Ron R like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

user grade # 58. 1956 with the loop in the case and 694093 pat number 20180727_203727.jpg

ghostlife and PatrickA51 like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

upon researching the canadian rockets 20181202_055959.jpg

Frijolero, Ron R and Douglas Carey like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

1950s-uk-gillette-newspaper-advert-EXT99X.jpg the only rocket found so far.. 5dcdac19f319cf1780ca894cd7184c16.jpg which is an hd..

PatrickA51, Ron R and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

could the name "rocket "have originated in canada with british aristocrat jr razors and canadian cases? the only non crat jr models sold in england were just called "1 piece razor" 1949 Rocket.JPG [/ATTACH] 1950 (V4) Rocket Set No51 England.JPG 1951 (W1) Canadian Rocket.JPG

12. brit

brit in a box

i don t think crat jrs or british crats were sold in canada, just u.s.aristocrats. C 1948 Tech, Milord, Aristocrat Canada.jpg

13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Do you ever wonder how good the blade dispensers were from keeping a blade from getting damaged, I have this old steel one glued to my Gillette only wooden razor rack.
    Gillette needed something to compete against the Schick injector and they came up with this dispenser which was a genius idea to build around a none injector system they lacked.
    I have never used a dispenser like this shown because they are rare to find.
    steel blade dispensers (2).jpg

PatrickA51, Douglas Carey and brit like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good picture and post Ron. :happy096:

brit likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

20181201_122639.jpg

Ron R and Douglas Carey like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

gold rocket in canadian blue case.. 20190123_121313.jpg

Douglas Carey likes this.
  17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I really like when you get the instructions and blade pack with the razor not to mention the case. :eatdrink047:

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

me to sir. i am not sure , this maybe a mismatch .cannot find any info that links them. definitely a #5 gold rocket..possibly a black tip or superspeed case, case made in canada. any info would be cool..

Douglas Carey likes this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They are stamped with a K?

I can say with a great deal of certainty the A and S are production stamps on the flare tips since they are different setups for the Rockets. Other letter stamps I wouldn't know.

The ones with A stamps used the same base plate as the higher profile flare tip rockets with the new lower center bar and door lifter assembly. They also use the same end caps as the older Rockets. The S stamped ones have the newer style base plate and the end caps changed to the same style as the US Super Speeds.

Douglas Carey and brit like this.