What pocket knife do you carry?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by DesertTime, Jun 9, 2017.

1. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Until about 6:00 last night I had a nice spyderco that I have carried for a few years. I have no idea where it went, but I have lost it. I have already counted 6 times today that I wanted use my knife. I think I'll spend the rest of the day looking for it. :sad024:

gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Bummer! I hope it turns up. (If it does, of course, it will be when you are looking for something else.)

3. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I think it's more likely to show up as soon as I get a shipping confirmation on a replacement.

178-bplatoon, AGHisBBS and Sara-s like this.
  4. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

I usually carry a Gerber gator. The older made in the USA ones.

GatorJoe, wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  5. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

For over 50 years, I have always carried two knives on me. Of course, they have changed over the years, but not very often. For over 20 years now, I have carried a Classic, USA made, Buck 110 Folder in a Holster on my belt, and for about the last 4 years, I have carried a Gerber, Bear Gillis Folder in a pocket. I believe they are made in China, but it is a very worth knife. MVC-007S.JPG

gorgo2, dbersh, GatorJoe and 4 others like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Very good tool. Got my first one back when I had a '68 F-100 that leaked & burned oil. It worked well cutting a pour hole in the top of quart cans to keep the crank case lubed. Traded that well worn one to my brother for a '76 stag handled Case 5265 folding hunter. It was (still is) too pretty to treat rough. Not too long after I got another Buck 110. Don't know what happened to that second Buck, but dad gifted me another 110 couple years ago & I'm still carrying it. The cheap woven nylon holster wore out so it's in a slightly less cheap Gerber holster until that fails.

7. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I carry a Case Peanut in my pocket because it is small and very sharp.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  8. Edsland

Edsland Active Member

Swiss army camper. I have a fisherman that I switch off

AGHisBBS likes this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I must admit that the past few months the only knife that I have with me is an Opinel #6. Small enough to fit in my pocket, large enough to be useful, and looks perfectly pedestrian and tool like.

A Swiss Army Knife or a classy Laguiole look very nice, but as a simple tool it's hard to beat the Opinels.

10. johnnyflake

Pictures please!

11. johnnyflake

I love Mora and Opinel Knives. Carried and Opinel in my pocket for years.

gorgo2 and AGHisBBS like this.
  12. Hammer8

Hammer8 Well-Known Member

I carried a Buck Stockman for years until it fell out of my pocket while working on a tractor. I’ve had a Buck model 112 in a belt sheath ever since.

13. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Well I’m back to a Buck. The Spyderco Lil’Native, I just never got used to it and has been sitting in its box in a drawer for about 2 months, likely will let it go.
    Bought several Bucks in December and have been carrying the 340 ever since.
    The Dec 2018 Buck of the Month and a 112 LT, both waiting patiently for a turn.
    [​IMG]

gorgo2, GatorJoe, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Here's mine

Deejo (France)
    Framelock, laser etched. Juniper wood.

[​IMG][​IMG]

27 grams (~1 ounce)
    9 centimeters (3.5 inches) closed

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Here are the two I carry. They are both Spyderco Caly sprint runs (limited editions) made by Moki in Japan. One is 3.5" and the other is 3" and they both have Aogami Super Blue Steel and weigh just over 3 oz each. I have used these since late 2011 when the larger one was released. The smaller one came about a year later.

calysSB_zps7e762cb5.jpg

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Very nice. I'm sure that steel will hold an edge nicely.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

PanChango likes this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks. Super Blue has taught me a lot about sharpening. It is quick to sharpen and takes a wicked edge, but like all carbon steels it starts to deteriorate quickly when used on food. I used to polish the edge to 3k, but get a much longer lasting working edge when I finish with an 800 chosera.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  18. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

I carry my grandpa's knife from the 30s or 40s BARLOW pocket knife when i got it it was very dull it took me a week to sharpen it and 4 years to dull it one hell of a good knife they don't make them like this anymore i lost it one or twice i went ape shit and turned my place upside down and side ways to find it it's on me all the time i feel naked without it

19. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Two Boker barlows, a Case whittler, and for hiking a Cold Steel