Modern Machined Stainless Steel Adjustable Toggle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by blashe, Feb 25, 2018.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

A simple way to correct that problem on a Gillette Toggle is to get some water proof tape like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B6F5PJ7/?tag=thshde-20

or this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NNRWPY/?tag=thshde-20

Tape the section of the handle or adjustment knob that rubs.

PatrickA51, Keithmax and brit like this.
  2. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, there is nothing that is man made that can be done flawlessly. Rolex an exquisite timepiece will eventually fail. Consumers know this yet still spend thousands, upon thousands even tens of thousands to acquire one of these magnificent pieces. Will they outlasts the much more economical watches? Absolutely without question. The point is that a Rolex will last decades and even perhaps centuries compared to the lower costs watches. Same principle with the Gillette and the Modern toggle we see here. Gillette designed their toggle and saw through trial and error the inherent design flaw, which was wear and the fragile nature of the alloy used for a high stress area. Costs, time and maintaining a profit limited them to the alloy that was used, brass. They probably could have used a much harder alloy such as stainless steel but, costs would have gone up exponentially.

The whole thing is this. The thought process that went behind creating this modern toggle by Janus was to use a much harder alloy that would withstand a much higher wear rate. Coupled with todays technology, machining and alloy compositions a design can be met and sustained while increasing durability and wear characteristics 10 fold. We see how long some of the best razors that Gillette made such as the Fatboy, Slim and a few others have lasted 40-60 years near. And still going strong. You know how strong of an alloy 316 SS is and its wear and corrosion resistance is with chromium and nickel content? It would take either one of us a few lifetimes to even make a dent in a machined piece of steel that was forged and hardened properly.

I’m not discrediting your reasoning or thought process behind a razor or design that was flawed from the outset back in the 1950’s. It’s a valid concern but, it’s a concern that is more biased towards an opinion than an actual fact with todays advancement in technology, machining and metallurgy.

PatrickA51, Keithmax and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

well said sir..i look forward to their release..i love vintage gillettes, but would rather spend the extra for this one than a mint original ,as i do intend to use it..an original mint cased one i wouldn t ..love the look and design ..

PatrickA51, Keithmax and Str8on2 like this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

This is what happens when you overthink a problem. The other option is to use a ball bearing, cut into 2 put it in the handle with a lip so it doesn't fall out and you've essentially reduced the friction to negligible levels regardless of alloys. The only thing you need to make sure of is the surface area or the toggle handle and ball bearing are as smooth as possible. You hold it in place with the spring after your drop it in the handle.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  5. brit

brit in a box

i have a 3/8 ratchet that holds an adjustable head that uses that style of mechanism.. quite durable..

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

That's a nice looking razor. Happy New Year :happy088: :shaver

preidy and brit like this.
  7. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Not my cup of tea but wow they sure are beautiful! The designer sure hit a home run with the two-tone color scheme. Congrats to Janus and best of luck.

PatrickA51, Str8on2 and brit like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am not buying this razor. :)

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy088: Nor am I.

PatrickA51 and Primotenore like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Neither am I. But I will take a Toggle disassemble it, 3d scan and print one for $500+ less than this even after buying the springs and rubber pipe washers. And if I get motivated I'll open source the drawings and do other vintages that are no longer patent protected and if I get even more motivated I'll even print them one at a time for a nominal fee and if I feel really motivated I might even do some maffs and create a template for a head and base plate that can be adjusted for any angle and exposure and reveal and print them to spec based on customer's preference.

Thankfully I tend to be lazy....

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    PatrickA51, brit, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Great post.

PatrickA51 and brit like this.
  12. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

Love this idea

13. PatrickA51

No offense meant, but I sure as heck hope that these razors turn out better than the BS situation that's going on with the Rockwell T Razors. It's going on three years for that

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/rockwell-model-t.59173/page-21#post-1517172
    Anyway nice looking set up "Happy New Year"

brit, Keithmax and Zed117 like this.
  14. PatrickA51

I have say that this was an enjoyable read and @Str8on2 very well written and to the point. on a second thought I sure hope that my "Rolex Submariner" that grew legs and ran away from home is still running and enjoying life:angry019: :angry017:

15. Str8on2

Lol! Sorry to hear about your Rolex. Luxury items that go missing never tend to get home sick..... :happy102:

16. Str8on2

That’s not a bad idea there. I’m pretty sure you’d garner some serious interest in such a project.... :signs021:

17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I like the OCD approach so I will buy unless it turns into a huge wait like some products do.

Str8on2, PatrickA51 and brit like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

i am putting a plan together so i can order when the bugs (if any) are worked out..not many items grab me like this. very few have,. as a mechanic with some years of machining experience this just talks to me..i will have one at some point..

Zed117, Str8on2 and PatrickA51 like this.
  19. PatrickA51

So am I. :angry019:

Str8on2 and brit like this.
  20. Str8on2

The latest update in a nutshell is this. All razors will be PVD coated in 4 finishes. White Gold, White Gold with Yellow Gold accents, Yellow Gold with White Gold accents and Black Gold with Yellow Gold accents. It will be a Kickstarter funded Campaign and initial pricing will be discounted from the projected $625usd to $500usd. The way it was worded in the newsletter it seems that there will be a run of 400 razors and it states it will be available in 3 tiers. What that means I have no idea but, it looks like after the first 400 the razors go up in price if I understand it correctly. Kickoff is for April 30th for the KS Campaign and will run its course. On the fence but, leaning in to be honest.......

DD9F5364-57BD-440A-85DF-324339B14ADE.jpeg
    499A5781-8B52-40F0-9D83-89FAF3A07DE2.jpeg
    6BF942BA-9E83-4A25-A509-6068E1C3FC6F.jpeg
    B9BA35E5-1061-488D-A085-9DBF54BD4587.jpeg