Poll: Arko vs. Williams

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DaltonGang, Nov 28, 2016.

?

Which do you prefer, if you had to choose between the two?

1. Arko

2. Williams

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Toughest for me. Should have made that clear.

AGHisBBS, Frijolero and Paul Turner like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Ahh, right.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

You need one more choice. That would be neither one.

Erik Redd and Frijolero like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ok, people like those Desert Island hypotheticals. So if you were deserted, with only those two, which would you choose?? Silly, I know.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  5. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Arko shave stick all the way babe, far less hassle than Williams Mug, when the soap fades away pretty quickly for some people who still have problems with Williams Mug.

Because Arko always wins over Williams Mug, the voting polls speak for itself

brit, Frijolero and DaltonGang like this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Having used both Arko and modern Williams.......Arko winds hands down, in fact it's the only soap I use regularly. :happy088:

brit, Frijolero and DaltonGang like this.
  7. oscar11

O.K. I'd take Williams. Preferably old Williams. It would take a lot of the new stuff a puck every 2 weeks but I could use it. Arko is hard on my face so I'd need a balm. Vintage Williams and I'm good to go.

brit, RyX, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  8. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I'm 100% positive that if the Williams Top Holder Shave Stick in it's original formula were still around, it would be way above Arko in the numbers...

brit, RyX, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  9. oscar11

The people making Williams have to be brain dead. I remember the menthol version and I think I read about a rose version but don't remember it personally. Locally the only 2 soaps available are Williams and VdH. I guess if you have a captive market why change.

Frijolero likes this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've never had the opportunity to use vintage Williams. I wish they would make it again as I've heard many good things about it . But as for the new Williams and VDH, I'd rather VDH. :)

11. brit

brit in a box

i know its not on the list gents but wilkinson sword stick for me ..as good as arko with a nice scent..to me ..

oscar11 and DaltonGang like this.
  12. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

1 picked Arko , not only is it a great soap, shaved and pressed into a bowl but because Williams has greatly diminished since I first started using it in 1962. Arko is far superior now, except if I was able to get vintage, then I'd consider them about equal except for scents

DaltonGang likes this.
  13. bigwaverazor

bigwaverazor Well-Known Member

I like ARKO, so cheap and smells like a gas station bathroom's powered soap from the 60's-70's (Boraxo lemon smell, I think)... not a bad thing, just weird memories. :) ARKO has a particular following within the straight razor guys for its slickness. I'm good with it but my brother gets severe irritation with the soap itself, a rash that resembles poison ivy. Did I mention inexpensive? Buy it in bulk on Amazon.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    DaltonGang, AGHisBBS and Frijolero like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I was gifted one of these a few weeks back. It is an amazing shave stick!!

15. Weasel640

I know I saw. The one you were gifted is the newer U.S. one... Not sure if any different in formula, but the one you have I think is scented with rose. The two I have are older and have no scent other than a vintage tallow soap. I think it smells like black pepper, while my wife just thinks it smells like soap. If yours performs that well, I'm guessing they just added the scent, and it may be the same formula, or maybe improved.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No scent other then soap. Just like the vintage cake of Williams. Where was yours made??

17. Weasel640

Both of mine were made in Gastonbury Connecticut, so definitely pre 60s. Based on advertising that I've seen for the metal Williams Top Holders, I'd also venture that they are pre 30s.

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesome. Thanks for sharing!

brit likes this.