Focus R48

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by drnausheerp, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

i'm with Edison on this one, it does provide a super comfy shave with ZERO irritation.
    I'm going to try feather blade next, almost BBS with voskhod

from a design perspective, once you get the rear pressure thing, it virtually removes skin blade angle error
    IMHO once you get the cap to face contact correct which is easy, it creates optimum skin/hair to blade angle, making it irritation free
    curious to hear a technical perspective regarding the design/engineering that does this

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    brit, Edison Carter and Frijolero like this.
  2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

In a way, the Focus R48 still fits the model of "technique trumps tools" we like here because it requires one to master its own technique. But then again, it ain't all that hard.

I heard plenty from the naysayers claiming what great shavers they are and how horrible this razor is. I'm convinced that they tried to use traditional wet shaving techniques or had a poorly loaded blade if results were lacking.

I believe that this tool is evolved from its shavette cousin in design where the shaving plane is established by the flat area behind the blade. Perhaps @thesuperiorshave could comment since he has been face to face with the inventor.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

How it looks...how it loads...how it is used....take your pick.

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  4. Edison Carter

Uh..... You forgot to mention GREAT RESULTS.

Really though, your commentaries could be more credible if you stuck with stuff you actually have experience with.

5. Edison Carter

20190209_172252.jpg
    Wow, I've been using my straights so regularly and do long I figured I better crosscheck my techniques with the Focus R48 so I'm not guilty of hypocrisy here.

So, I loaded both up with halves of a new Feather testing out the technique suggested by @Jenks. Great idea, thanks. I modified it a bit because of the wax on Feathers. Both surfaces were well cleaned after removing the old blades. The blade was positioned on the cap using the wax present as the 'grippie' instead of water. Then I securely held the cap and blade together and used a Q-tip to clean wax from the exposed side. Slid the bottom on the top and 'easy peasy' perfect! First time, both times, never done that b4.

Whipped up a terrific smooth thick lather like only a 'Super Badger' can, and thinned it over to the 'sloshy side' the way I like in my Fine Accouterments Bowl (because mugs are for coffee).

Made 4 totally irritation free passes heading for that 'cotton ball test' smooth ending and, oops, my technique must have gotten a little rusty during the last 6 months or so of straight razor shaving. No problem, a couple of splashes of the juice and a few quick strokes and there it was, the great result you come to expect on this shave.

So, once again technique trumps tools, and thanks to a friend here, I think I have learned the technique to overcome my sole objection to this razor; blade loading.

Be well my friends.

brit, Frijolero and Jenks like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I do not need to try somethings. You can look at it and tell. I get the shaves you talk about with several different styles of real razor. No need to use oddball garbage.

7. Edison Carter

There is no need for anyone to attempt converting someone happy with a set of shaving gear to something else.
    However, if you wanted to, name calling would be a good way to pummel them into submission.

Now, if an individual in a 'freedom of shave forum' actually wanted to help others along their way, they probably would skip over the little games and deal with facts.

Doesn't bother me a bit what you care to call the Focus R48, but this shaving tool does present the blade to the skin and beard at precisely the right angle and with the proper pressure and technique comfortably removes hair growth. It's that simple.

For me, it is not as fun as feeling the sharp edge of a razor that I have honed and stropped sound off as it plinks facial hair. But thats just me, not everyone has those skills.

Still, the Focus R48 Dynamic 1/2 DE Single Edge pivoting head razor will be my choice on the days I walk my daughters down the aisle.

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Who is trying to convert? I asked the op..who has not made a post in this thread since december of last year..a question. I even quoted his post to get his attention. You jumped in. Apparently you care what I call this cart garbage looking plastic doodad...
    As for helping others on their way.... I have probably given away more gear over my 10 years on this forum then you own. Add in 7 years of TOST and I know I have helped a metric ton of people get into..and enjoy this hobby. I am an old bear sonny boy. I earned my crankyness and the right to express my thoughts on new age junk. Add me to your ignore list. You just made mine.

9. Edison Carter

Well since I've made your ignore list, I'm not sure you'll ever hear this but here is my response:

First, you did not even meet the OP criteria of "actual user". I did, and gave a genuine response with positives and negatives.
    He seemed pleased with my response and continued the dialog.

Secondly, it is an 'old post' and while you did quote it, your response appears unhelpful if not downright inflammatory.

Thirdly, there is 'no plastic' in the construction of this 'doodad'

Forthly, I will commend you for your generosity to others in the specific areas of the 'shaving world' you enjoy.

Fifthly, your use of the term 'sonny boy' does help prove my point about 'name calling'.

Sixthly, I do exceed you in age and overall life experience. So I can easily out trump your claim of a right to crankiness. Yet, it is my choice to stick with facts and my actual experiences in my postings.

And lastly, while I cannot match your tenure in the wet shaving community. if I choose to drop out here, I will actually 'drop out' and not run off and start my own shaving forum and then come back in sniping at those I disagree with.

If I have offended you personally, please accept my apologies, for I don't mean harm. I'm not gonna put you on an ignore list, because believe it or not, I respect your expertise in vintage shave gear.

10. Edison Carter

Just in case anyone ever has doubts if people can be disingenuous, maybe even downright malicious, I found this in the 30DC thread on our topic here:

11. Edison Carter

Just for the record of a couple of my charges, the below was found at TOST speaking of another modern razor.

Some folks can dish it out, but get so easily bent out of shape for anyone calling them out.

Gotta feed the fan club though.

wchnu
    Administrator
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Jan 6, 2018 at 2:09am

So I just stepped on some toes across the street. That right there is the ugliest looking garbage I have seen in some time. Really. I would be afraid to use it as a trotline weight. It would scare the fish off.

brit likes this.
  12. Edison Carter

Max Headroom figured it was time to give my 'Original Old Age Injector/Cart Forerunner Plastic and Stamped Metal Doodad Razor' a shot at my ugly mug yesterday just to prove that this old stuff can give good shaves too.

20190223_150757.jpg

Turned out to be a nice fun shave. I pulled out the machined aluminum and stainless steel Focus R48 Dynamic Razor for the photoshoot so folks can excersise their right to beauty being in the eye of the beholder.

And since I'm officially 'personal non grata' with 'The Old Safetyrazer Too' (TOST) overlords and the dry soaper crew, I'm sure it'll stay quiet here.

Enjoy Freedom of the Shave!

madmedic, brit and Frijolero like this.
  13. Leclec13

how did i miss the drama/ entertainment on this thread

i'm just now revisiting and reviving this older thread

Good entertainment!! and enjoyed the banter

i have respect for both of you

it technically is a single edge
    i thought that would garner some respect from wchnu

wchnu and a few other encouraged (peer pressured) me into SE razors started with MMOC, now I'm 5 Gems deep, plus an Ever ready, and a shick and a non-bloomin Willams aficionado

but.......
    i bought a R48 focus here from classifieds
    I like the R48 focus it provides excellent shaves and the design and tech is way ahead of its time
    it borrows much from old school SE technique "flat against the face"
    it almost fully negates user error
    it does require learning a new technique but not all that difficult
    once you understand and perform the technique properly It provides an amazing shave
    unfortunately the majority don't understand or perform technique properly
    it IS a single edge razor
    yes it is newfangled
    It is misunderstood and most likely will never become a "classic"
    It is like the Kid that transferred to your school in the middle of fifth grade

wchnu I would be glad to loan and send you mine to test drive, private message me your address

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  14. Edison Carter

I'm glad to hear you are happy with this tool.

For the most part, I find it refreshing that a shave forum like this be expansive in nature. Where else could you see folks posting SOTD's using cartridges and canned lubricants. I've even read about people fessin up to electrics. If someone chooses to use that medium for hair removal I'm sure they have a reason. Then if another individual has a recommendation to improve that experience it should be a welcome thing.

FWIW, I got a Focus R21 shavette that in time, I just may be able to get to outperform the R48. The R21 actually does have a 'plastic doodad' component that is somewhat unique. It does take a little more time and practice than the R48 though.

Be well. Shave free.

brit likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

lol, i missed it..i liked schick injectors and eveready razors but didn't like the blade availability.plus the schicks look like a precursor to carts, which i hated using for 33+years.so my love of de is a biased choice..definitely a modern razor is the r48.a little like the one blade..all of these razors look cool in their own way and appeal to different tastes.and that is good, something for everyone..
    ps..i still think a de is a single edge with 2 sides as they are not stacked like a trac 2..ford isn't better than chevy or dodge..they all build crap these days..vintage rules..but i wouldn't push that on anyone..enjoy your shaves and shavers gentlemen..:eatdrink047:

16. Leclec13

i might be interested in the focus al slim, from what i understand it has similar flat on face tech, along with same blade loading concept as R48

i already own a dovo shavette i bought it as entry drug to straight shaving and the r21 doesn't really present with any new ideas/technology even with its plastic blade holder.

but my first choice in shaving is a straight razor and have more than a few of those
    and i think a straight razor provides a superior shave over all other razors
    so any kind of shavette is not currently on my radar
    plus the focus slim is over $50 and i'm curbing my shaving spending

i do agree any shavette with a decent blade will provide a shave better than most any shaving platform except a straight razor. and that the r 21 with its proprietary blade holder will definitely excel, at the cost of learning a new skill
    and i think a short /DE blade in shavette requires even more skill than the dovo or other long blade

the r48 IS an island onto itself

i did find that i prefer the Focus R48 with more aggressive blades. i find a mild blade in it provides a little too mild of shave for my tastes

madmedic, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  17. Edison Carter

My difficult area with an open blade is the upper neck, to the sides, just below the jawline where growth direction is center towards the side. One swipe ATG gets it. Easy enough with a safety razor, I just haven't figured out how to make that stroke open bladed. I usually just do n/s and s/n. I was surprised how much closer I got with the R21 using the same strokes. Also less energy was required for cutting over a straight. My equipment is sharp, honed by pros well known. The R48 easily gets closer than my straights, as doesthe rR21 to some degree. Bear in mind I haven't quite been on open edges for a year yet.

I may get a Slim one day. People like them. Biggest negative I've seen is "low weight".

I tried most blades in the R48 and all I use now are Feathers.

madmedic and brit like this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thanks for the offer but no thanks. This cart garbage looking thing has no interest at all. Someone trying to reinvent the wheel that does not need it. A plastic cart garbage thingie will shave too. I support most of the new fangled things. Even allow them at TOST...this one though is a no go in any form.

There is nothing about a injector razor that is like a cart garbage thingie...well maybe the square head.

brit likes this.
  19. Edison Carter

Why am I not surprised!

brit likes this.