No. 00 Frictionite Owners Guide And User Information

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Timwcic, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

I rescued this Frictionite from the dirt mall last weekend along with a few other stones. This is one of the older hones manufactured in Olean, NY. I already have a few, but this was the first one I have in a box. Did not take a close look at it until this evening. It is clean, no crazing, and looks to have very low mileage. What is interesting is what I found in the bottom. Fitting perfectly inside was a piece of paper. I was hoping it was a purchase receipt to give it some provenance. After a few shots of canned air and carefully working it loose with a dental pick, out came a user guide. First one I ever seen. Using the Google machine, I could not find any other. So for your viewing pleasure, and it you have any interest, a original Frictionite user guide

BA940F87-E5F0-47BD-8920-FB45D37D641B.jpeg B3191B84-9D7A-4458-8D3F-E3095C73F7EB.jpeg D374078A-882B-49AB-931F-57896C6DBAC0.jpeg 32CEAF66-9ECE-4113-952A-6389FF4759A4.jpeg 6BF425F1-4918-48BD-B902-2E303CF435BE.jpeg

PLANofMAN, RezDog, Frijolero and 11 others like this.
  2. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Awww, now I want one of those too!

Timwcic, Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  3. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Very cool hone .:drool:

Timwcic, Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Frijolero and Timwcic like this.
  5. Timwcic

I know they go for stupid money. IIRC the competition lumber jacks from around the world pay what the have to to get one. I have several from over the years. Had one lapped and conditioned but never really used it. Have a Synthetic Coticule in the BR if needed. All of the Frictionite’s I have were either loose or in the little green pouch. Finding one with the user info, that I had never seen before, was special

Frijolero likes this.
  6. mdpmedia

mdpmedia New Member

Hello,

I have a no. 00 Fricionite rectangular hone in the original leather pouch. It is my understanding that this stone is sought after no matter what the condition is? I just read that and wanted to get some opinions. Also, I have included some photos and wanted to know if the side with the age marks on it lower the value of this stone. If you run your fingernails over the stone on that side, you can only feel a couple of these 'cracks'. I say 'cracks' but am unsure if that is the correct term to describe them and if they would interfere with the honing process or lower the value. Or are they something that collectors actually look to get causing an increase in price?

Finally, what year do you think this was produced and what kind of approximate value does it have? frictioniteo 00 pouch 1 of 5.jpg frictionite no 00 side view 2 of 5.jpg frictionite no 00 side view 2 of 5.jpg frictionite no 00 cracked top view 3 of 5.jpg frictionite no 00 view w. amer. Hone Co 4 of 5.jpg frictionite no 00 uncracked bottom view 5 of 5.jpg

7. mdpmedia

mdpmedia New Member

Hello,

I have a no. 00 Fricionite rectangular hone in the original leather pouch. It is my understanding that this stone is sought after no matter what the condition is? I just read that and wanted to get some opinions. Also, I have included some photos and wanted to know if the side with the age marks on it lower the value of this stone. If you run your fingernails over the stone on that side, you can only feel a couple of these 'cracks'. I say 'cracks' but am unsure if that is the correct term to describe them and if they would interfere with the honing process or lower the value. Or are they something that collectors actually look to get causing an increase in price?

Finally, what year do you think this was produced and what kind of approximate value does it have? View attachment 225058 View attachment 225059 View attachment 225059 View attachment 225060 View attachment 225061 View attachment 225062

8. Timwcic

valuation of any object on the site is a big no-no. I can tell you by the degrading surface that is reaching or at the end of its life

DaltonGang likes this.
  9. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I have a couple and have used them for maintaining razors. They can put a very smooth and fine finish on a razor as well as bring one back from very poor shaving condition. They are very fast and caution should be used with the number of strokes on the course side. It is a very good barbers hone and a nice score. There do not seem to be that many around.