MAYhem 2019 - Shavey Awards Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by BaylorGator, Apr 6, 2019.

1. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Yes, boys and girls. It's that time again... MAYhem. What is MAYhem you ask? Kind of like the Olympics, it allows folks all over the globe to come together in peace and brotherhood for the good of all mankind... Only, it's kind of an like an Olympics for dim-witted, reckless shavers with bad ideas... who usually don’t have any athletic abilities... and there's no Olympic Village... and... OK, in retrospect, it's nothing like the Olympics.

Anyway, for those unfamiliar with MAYhem or the 30 Day Crew, I encourage you to check out the MAYhem 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion Thread (or 30DC THREAD for short), and to meet a great group of guys, who, although a bit nuts, can help you become a shave ninja. Yes, they look like they just escaped from the island of misfit toys, but I've seen them help many a shaver along the path while demonstrating generosity, brotherhood, and the (more than) occasional Shenanigan. The event of MAYhem was established to demonstrate the 30DC Credo - "Technique Trumps Tools". In other words, once you really master good techniques in shaving (i.e. pressure, blade angle, muscle memory, etc.), the tools you use (i.e. razor, soap, preshave, voodoo potion, etc) become almost immaterial. Ergo - we engage in stunt shaving for prizes... and then have a video awards ceremony in June. (Yes, I'm being serious.)

So, before we start, make sure you've read the opening post at the start of the 30 DC MAYhem thread to familiarize yourself with the 30DC and MAYhem rules and disclaimers. For simplicity I'll sum them up here:
    1. If you are a newbie (or really anyone with a functioning cerebral cortex) I'd encourage you to enjoy the festivities by gawking from the sidelines, since much of what goes on here is not condoned by me, management, or anyone with even a grain of common sense or functional intelligence.
    2. If you choose to participate in the shenanigans and foolishly injure yourself and/or end up hospitalized (or worse) as the result of being an idiot, remember that "I told you so" in rule #1.
    3. There are prizes for the biggest idiots (as determined by the Academy).

So, ALL of TSD (whether you are a spectator or participant) is encouraged to participate in this thread and gawk, offer up nominees, or even suggest new awards to the Academy based on reports posted in the 30 DC THREAD throughout the month of May. In order to be considered for a nomination, a report of the shave, gear used, and preferably pictures (you know..."pics or it didn't happen") must be posted in the 30DC thread (or maybe even somewhere else on TSD), but you also must REPOST THE NOMINATIONS IN THIS THREAD too. The ridiculously high and ever increasing post count in the 30DC thread makes it impossible for me to keep up, so even if you suggest or nominate someone in that thread, again, please REPOST ALL NOMINATIONS HERE.

Some clarifications:
    1. You can't nominate yourself for a Shavey. Someone else must do it.
    2. In complete contradiction to #1, there are a few Shavey Awards you CAN nominate yourself for. These awards are more like PIFs for the "less insane" who take on their first shaving rule/focus, or choose to learn to shave with a new blade style or razor type during MAYhem.

Now, with no further preamble,
    LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    jimjo1031, AlDm, AGHisBBS and 12 others like this.
  2. BaylorGator

THE NOMINATIONS
    So, without any further adieu, here are the award categories and current nominations, which will be updated throughout the MAYhem festivities.

MAYhem Man of Steel

Most impressive body of work over the entire month of MAYhem.
    Nominees:
    @Drygulch for his crazy glue shave
    @AlDm for two ridiculous plastic fork shaves
    @9nein9 for his shim shaver and ice cream/butter knife shave.
    The Shavey Goes to:
    Shavey Awarded:

MAYhem Innovation
    Most successful innovation in MAYhem shaving.
    Nominees:
    @AlDm for his plastic fork contraptions
    @9nein9 for his shim shaver
    The Shavey Goes to: @AlDm
    Shavey Awarded:

MAYhem Trailblazer

The shaver who boldly goes where no man has gone before.
    Nominees:
    @AlDm for his plastic fork contraptions
    @9nein9 for his shim shaver and ice cream/butter knife shave
    The Shavey Goes to: @9nein9
    Shavey Awarded: Olive Wood/Horsehair Brush

Most Successful Shave with the Item Least Suitable for Shaving
    Nominees:
    @Norcalnewb for his “no razor” blade shave
    The Shavey Goes to: @Norcalnewb
    Shavey Awarded: English Tech

Big Cohones Award
    Nominees:
    @Norcalnewb for the razorless “bare blade” shave
    The Shavey Goes to:@Drygulch
    Shavey Awarded: Tallow & Steel Boreal Set

Most Inspiring Photo

Nominees:
    @jluc for "Memorial Day Shave"
    @clint64 for “Shiloh Smooth”
    @b1hart for “Cella Good Shave”
    @jtspartan for “A Fine Shave”
    @Norcalnewb for "Single Ring Still"
    The Shavey Goes to: @jluc
    Shavey Awarded: CJB Pain Stick

Cold Cohones Award
    Nominate yourself if you successfully endure mentholating “the boys” for a crappy prize. (The "pictures or it didn't happen" rule DOES NOT apply here!)
    Nominees:
    Although accidental, and not self nominating, @Screwtape is the surprise front runner.
    The Shavey Goes to: @Screwtape
    Shavey Awarded: Chatillon Lux Set

Best Enabling Move

Those who subtly (or not so subtly) entice others to purchase something shave related.
    Nominees:
    @clint64 for his mastery of “stealth enabling”
    The Shavey Goes to: @clint64
    Shavey Awarded: Catie’s Bubbles Piment de la Vie

Best Shavy Awards Acceptance Speech
    Nominees:
    The Shavey Goes to:
    Shavey Awarded:

OTHER AWARD CATEGORIES

Least Inspiring Photo

Nominees:
    The Shavey Goes to:
    Shavey Awarded:

Most Ill Advised MAYhem Idea
    Nominees:
    The Shavey Goes to:
    Shavey Awarded:

Worst MAYhem Shave Results
    Nominees:
    The Shavey Goes to:
    Shavey Awarded:
    "Shave Sensei"

(30 DC members nominated by their peers for being most helpful on their Shave journey).
    Nominees:
    The Shavey Goes to:
    Shavey Awarded:

30 DC Newbie

Nominate yourself if you are a new participants actively posting in the 30 DC thread in May and are here to work on and improve your shave technique.
    Nominees:
    The Shavey Goes to:
    Shavey Awarded:

What's the Worst That Could Happen?
    Nominate yourself if you attempt and complete at least one full pass with a "new to you" category of open blade razor (straight, shavette, pain stick, epoxied twig, etc.)
    Nominees:
    The Shavey Goes to:
    Shavey Awarded:

Mild Mannered Shaver
    Nominate yourself if you plan on watching MAYhem from the sidelines, but still want to be eligible for a prize.
    Nominees:
    The Shavey Goes to:
    Shavey Awarded:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    jimjo1031, Paul76, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  3. BaylorGator

AWARD PRIZES

The following is a list of prizes to be potentially awarded during the Shavey Ceremonies broadcast digitally in July on this thread. It's my annual way of clearing out my den and saying thanks to a great group of folks on this forum. Most items have been lightly used unless otherwise indicated.

Warning #1 - DO NOT perform a stupid shave stunt in order to try and get nominated for a Shavey. First of all, it doesn't work that way. Second of all, nothing on this list is particularly valuable. If you need gear or software that badly, PM me and we'll work something out in lieu of you trying something stupid.

Warning #2 - Do not get too attached to any particular item listed below, as this list is subject to change subject to what I buy, sell and trade in my den. (No whining.)

Warning #3 - Most of this stuff has been lightly to moderately used by me. It's better than a sharp stick in the eye for sure, but if you are hell bent on winning something shiny and new I'd suggest contacting Oprah via Twitter. I'm not her.

Note: If you wish to contribute a prize, feel free to post it in this thread and it will be added to the list, however, please know that this is strictly voluntary. It should also meet the minimum requirement of being better than a sharp stick in the eye.

SOAPS
    1. Simpsons Luxury Shaving Cream
    2. Jeeves of Hudson St. - Bay Rum
    3. Pre De Provence 63
    4. Stirling - Almond Cream

5. Tallow & Steel - Dark
    6. Artisan Bay Rum

7. Fancypants Soap Samples in Tins (Meissner & Tremona - Dark Limes, La Savonierre Du Moulin)

BRUSHES

1. Vie Long Horsehair Set in Jerusalem Olive Wood

RAZORS
    1. Ikon Bulldog Handle
    2. Gillette English Tech
    3. Schick Krona

AFTERSHAVES
    1. Pinaud - Clubman

COLOGNES & EDT
    1. Ramon Monegal Curielle - cap is broken, but works.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    jimjo1031, Paul76, AGHisBBS and 7 others like this.
  4. BaylorGator

This post reserved for potential future stupidity, disclaimers, pictures, and/or shenanigans.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Paul76, AGHisBBS, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  5. BaylorGator

This post reserved for potential future stupidity, disclaimers, pictures, and/or shenanigans.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Paul76, AGHisBBS and Frijolero like this.
  6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I donate a Greager (CJB) shavette and Feather Pro blades.

9nein9, jtspartan, Paul76 and 8 others like this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I love it. Donating a pain stick and blades as an award for Shavey awards? That's genius. It's also a very nice razor and blades!

9nein9, Paul76, RyX and 9 others like this.
  9. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

It is on like Donkey Kong! LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

BigMark83, 9nein9, Paul76 and 6 others like this.
  10. Hembree

Mighty nice of you!

9nein9, Keithmax, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I would like to nominate Jim
    @Norcalnewb for the Big Cohones award for his Handheld Blade shave.

12. Hembree

I cannot argue with that! I am in the corner whimpering like a little puppy dog with his tail between his legs after reading about that shave. :scared003:

9nein9, jluc, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  13. BaylorGator

Done! Well deserved!

jluc, Paul76, RyX and 5 others like this.
  14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, all! It is an honor to be nominated!

jluc, Paul76, RyX and 3 others like this.
  15. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

Good day to everyone who expects something that has nothing to do with common sense)! Once again, good afternoon, Ladies and Gentlemen)! Today you will see how I could shave. For shaving, I must say that this is an unusual shave. This is an insane, in the full sense of the word, shaving. So let's see what I used as a handle for the blade. The plastic fork from instant noodles claimed the role of a handle for the blade.

The central tooth of the fork was bent by heating with a cigarette lighter. In the side teeth, forks were cut to fix the blades. To give a slip, was used balm - hair rinse. Blade - a new blade GEM White bottle with a button - spray filled with water. For wetting the surface of the skin. Balm - rinse has a good slip, but it dries quickly. I used water to maintain moisture and slip. Sprayed from a white bottle.

I do not recommend anyone to repeat this crazy experiment. In the process of shaving the bristles, I got cuts. Shaving took a long time, constantly moisturizing the face. Fork - the handle had to keep the blade itself. This shaky design did not have a hard ridge. I was on the verge of stopping the experiment. But I could not retreat. Shave passed in one pass. Very long and slow. Not to say that I was able to shave to a good result. It will not be true. But, despite the cuts, I still managed to perform this experiment. Sincerely, Alex.

Добрый день всем кто ожидает чего-то не имеющего ничего общего со здравым смыслом)! Ещё раз, добрый день, Леди и Джентльмены)! Сегодня вы увидите как я смог побриться. Для бритья, надо сказать, что это необычное бритьё. Это безумное, в полном смысле этого слова, бритьё. Итак, давайте посмотрим, что я использовал в качестве ручки для лезвия. На роль ручки для лезвия претендовала пластиковая вилка от вермишели быстрого приготовления.

Центральный зуб вилки был изогнут при помощи нагревания зажигалкой. В боковых зуба вилки были сделаны вырезы для фиксации лезвия.

Для придания скольжения, был использован бальзам - ополаскиватель для волос.

Лезвие - новое лезвие GEM

Белая бутылка с кнопкой - распылителем наполнена водой. Для смачивания поверхности кожи лица. Бальзам - ополаскиватель имеет хорошее скольжение, но при этом быстро высыхает. Для поддержания влажности и скольжения я использовал воду. Распылял из белой бутылки.

Я не рекомендую кому - либо повторять этот безумный эксперимент. В процессе сбривания щетины, я получил порезы. Бритьё заняло много время, постоянно увлажняя лицо. Вилку - ручку приходилось держать у самого лезвия. Это хлипкая конструкция не имела жесткого хребта. Я был на грани остановки эксперимента. Но я не мог отступить. Бритьё прошло в один проход. Очень долго, и медленно. Не скажу, что я смог побриться до хорошего результата. Это будет неправдой. Но, несмотря на порезы, я всё-таки смог выполнить этот эксперимент.

С уважением Alex.

16. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

AlDm-1.jpg AlDm-2.jpg AlDm-3.jpg AlDm-4.jpg
    Now the photo. Preparing for the experiment.

Теперь фото.
    Подготовка к эксперименту.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  17. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

AlDm-5.jpg AlDm-6.jpg A new blade of the GEM is installed in the fork-handle. Balm - a conditioner for hair. A white bottle with a spray head contains water for wetting.

В вилку - ручку установлено новое лезвие GEM. Бальзам - ополаскиватель для волос. Белая бутылка с головкой распылителем содержит воду для увлажнения.

jtspartan, RyX, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  18. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

While shaving. Cut bristles on the blade.
    AlDm-7.jpg
    Во время бритья. Срезанная щетина на лезвии.

jtspartan, RyX, MaxG and 6 others like this.
  19. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

SOTD with all participants in the experiment. So. The main character of this show is Fork - Razor))) !!! Balm - conditioner. Water in a white bottle with a dispenser head. After shaving - Humphreys - Witch Hazel Deca Colon - Arbat (Russian cologne)
    AlDm-8.jpg
    SOTD со всеми участниками эксперимента.
    Итак. Главный персонаж этого шоу - Вилка - Бритва )))!!!
    Бальзам - ополаскиватель.
    Вода в белой бутылке с головкой распылителем.
    После брить - Humphreys - Witch Hazel
    Одеколон - Арбат ( русский одеколон)

PanChango, jtspartan, RyX and 7 others like this.
  20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

jtspartan, RyX, brit and 7 others like this.