What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Thanks.

The bevels on my razors were all set by very reputable sources. My hone touch ups follow their styles (tape/no tape).

In retrospect, I probably did not need to buy anything other than the 12k. I bought the others to see if I could hone the 'Wagner Rat'. It is a 4/8 with a warp, and dull. I was pleasantly surprised how well it shaved when done. I asked Glen to have a look and he confirmed that I had successfully set the bevel.

So far, I have avoided the road leading up to plunking down a few grand on 'rocks'.

brit, Keithmax, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Probably both. Everything improves, the more you work at it. Also, it helps your skills to work with razors that are a little ratty. They will challenge you to vary your techniques, to get the razor sharp enough.

brit, Keithmax, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Did 60 x strokes on the Thuringian in preparation for tomorrows shave.
    Lather.jpg

4. Chuck Naill

Found this circa 1920's Salamander brand German made 5/8. Love the Ivoroid scales. Ivoroid was a popular plastic binding on musical instruments during the same era.

I honed this one on films and finished on Coticule.

sal.jpg

5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I liked the first Dovo 91 Sunday Shaver I got so much that a second one was easy to love. The Lovely Mrs Headroom got this one for me last Christmas.

The first is my top performer and what I use as a benchmark for sharpness. This one was never quite as good so I went a number of delicate strokes on the Naniwa 12k then about 10 ea on a pasted balsa strop progression. Then linen and horsehide.

I must admit to being a little spoiled by the sharpness I'm experiencing in the shavette training I'm working on. Having a refreshed edge on this razor was nice, glad I did it.

Nice shave!

20190421_165931-1.jpg

6. brit

brit in a box

nice set up and pic sir

7. Chuck Naill

60 x's on the MMTT Thuringian, 25 linen, 60 horse. Should be ready for tomorrow (Friday, April 26)
    geneva 1.jpg

Keithmax, Billyfergie, brit and 3 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

What brand razor??

Billyfergie and Edison Carter like this.
  9. Chuck Naill

Sorry, it is a pre merger 6/8 Geneva Pyramid 7, the wide version.

10. basil

basil Well-Known Member

A91A8E45-E988-4A1B-9835-36BF2394075C.jpeg

Put an edge on the mk31 tonight.

11. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Beautiful Heljestrand!
    Tom

Billyfergie and basil like this.
  12. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Thanks! To be honest I totally forgot I had this blade. It was out in some boxes in my garage, must have been there a couple years. Ballistol on the blade kept it safe, the plastic scales took on some red dye from the box.

Edison Carter and TestDepth like this.
  13. DaltonGang

Edison Carter and Billyfergie like this.
  14. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Used a coti combo to bring it up to shave ready and then used the Ozuku stone pictured with a tomo slurry to bring out a great shave ready edge.

15. basil

basil Well-Known Member

97E473BB-E3E7-43A1-99DA-399F9C5AA5F9.jpeg
    6B277E61-3612-49F6-8505-321141B3BEA8.jpeg

In the top picture are my two Ozuku jnats with the tomo they sent me.
    bottom picture is my jnat and coti collection. The coti collection used to be much bigger but I cut it down.

16. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Well, today we're experimenting with blades. After musing about what kind of stones produced what kind of edges, @Steve56 generously offered to put JNAT edges on a couple of my razors for me to compare and see the difference for myself. Today I shaved the left side of my face with the 5/8 Dovo he sharpened, and shaved the right side of my face with the 6/8 Dovo with a factory edge that I've touched up on a 12K Naniwa. Overall, both blades are sharp and smooth. Too early to tell the difference for me, so I'll be at this a few more shaves. I can tell you that I really don't notice major differences in most DE blades, and really don't pay a lot of attention to which one I load, as most of them are more than adequate to produce the results I expect. I felt a bit this same way about today's shave. Maybe its because I'm not a dark side ninja yet and therefore the subtleties are lost on me. Maybe I'm just not that "blade sensitive". Maybe it's just too early to tell after 1 comparison shave. Time will tell. Again, thanks a TON to @Steve56, as I look forward to more JNAT v. synth comparison shaves!
    [​IMG]

Frijolero, Keithmax, Timwcic and 6 others like this.
  17. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Awesome! I always like hearing about comparison shaves. It’s also interesting when some people love a certain edge that others might not always enjoy.

18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I Have Honed More Dovo Razors than I Can Remember & EVERY One Needed Bevel Set from the 1 K Stone & Put through a Full Progression..:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

Edison Carter and DaltonGang like this.
  19. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Upon reflection, I misspoke. Although I bought this razor new, I bought it from SRP and it came honed by Lynn Abrams or one of his folks, so it was not a factory edge.

Billyfergie and Edison Carter like this.
  20. Chuck Naill

60 x's on the Thuringian is preparation for Sunday.
    Herd.jpg

Keithmax, brit, M14Shooter and 4 others like this.