General Razors Owners Group (G.R.O.G.)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by clint64, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Thank you my friend.... :thanks:

Have you ever tried the Brass General, Doug?

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

No I haven't Gus. My last brass razor was the Karve. It is a great razor with a D plate for me.

clint64 likes this.
  3. Str8on2

PM sent....

clint64 likes this.
  4. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Razor: Colonial Razor The General
    Handle: ATT Kronos
    Blade: Feather Pro
    Brush Handle: B-400 The Brush by Tom
    Knot: APShaveCo Tuxedo
    Soap: Stirling Barbershop
    Aftershave: Stirling Barbershop

Wonderful shave this morning. I switched to the Feather Pro blade from the Super and it just works in this razor. It was smoother than the Super and I had zero alum burn at the end of the shave. The Stirling products preformed flawlessly and I love this scent. This was the first soap and aftershave set I ever purchased and it's still a favorite. Have a great day folks!
    [​IMG]

Electrif, Douglas Carey, brit and 2 others like this.
  5. ob1page

Blade: Kai Captain Sharpblade
    Brush Handle: WildWest Brushworks
    Knot: Boss
    Soap: MDC Agrumes
    Post Care: Stirling Unscented Witch Hazel
    Alum
    Aftershave: Shave Ship Armada Blossom

I had a pretty good shave tonight. I pulled out the WildWest brush tonight (Go Buckeyes) and it easily whipped up a beautiful lather. Everything was going great until the blade touched my face. Now, this blade isn't horrible but compared to the Feather Pro it isn't in the same league. The alum at the end of the shave told the story, I felt some burn here and there where with the Feather the alum was silent. The shave ended beautifully, the Armada Blossom is wonderful, I wish this was still in production. Overall a decent shave, we'll try another blade next shave. Have a great day folks!
    [​IMG]

6. ob1page

Blade: Feather Pro Guard
    Soap: WSP Formula T Olympus
    Alum
    Aftershave: WSP Olympus

Fantastic shave this morning. I took my new WSP Olympus set out for its maiden shave and all I can say is WOW! This stuff is amazing. First, the scent is incredible; it starts with a fresh pineapple and apple scent that gives way to a smoky vanilla and sandalwood. Love it. It's very easy to lather and a couple swirls easily produced a ton of creamy lather. It's protective with excellent cushion and maybe the slickest soap I've ever tried, residual slickness was more than enough to buffer. This may be the best base I've ever tried. The aftershave didn't disappoint either. Same great scent and my face feels nourished. I got zero feedback from the alum. I'm glad I bought these. The Pro Guard blade was very nice, it's right up there with the Pro so far as my favorite. I'm going to keep trying a few more blades but these 2 are clearly in the lead. Have a great day folks!
    [​IMG]

brit, Str8on2 and clint64 like this.
  7. ob1page

Razor: Colonial Razor The General Stainless
    Blade: Feather Pro Super
    Soap: Martin de Candre Original
    Alum
    Aftershave: Chatillon Lux Champs de Lavande
    Fragrance: Wet Shaving Products Lavenderwood

I received a sample of WSP's Lavenderwood EDP so I decided to go full lavender for this shave and am I glad I did. This was the first shave with my newly acquired SS General and I couldn't be happier. I think I found my new daily driver. This razor has everything I love about the aluminum General and the one thing it was missing; weight. It has nice balance and feels great in the hand. Matched up with the Feather Pro my beard didn't stand a chance. My brush easily whipped up the MDC into a wonderful lather. There was zero feedback from the alum and the Chatillon Lux left my face feeling nourished and refreshed. To top it off the WSP Lavenderwood has a wonderful scent; lavender and cedar with a little patchouli and musk. It was a fantastic shave. Have a great day folks!

[​IMG]

brit, Str8on2 and koenfucius like this.
  8. Str8on2

Wanted to get in a good and quick shave this morning and was about to bring out the Vector when out of the corner of my eye I saw the SS General partially showing a part of the razor head. It was behind a couple of other razors and it has been neglected for some time. I put the Vector back and grabbed the General. Nice, efficient and comfortable shave. Almost forgot how good of a razor the SS Gen. is. Paired with a Feather Pro and it was a 2 pass affair with some minor buffing on the chin and a quick clean up on Sir Adam. No, it’s not as manueverable as the Vector and it has a bit more weight but, that does not bother me at all. It shaves just as good as any other se razor out there today. When it was available it was an excellent value and truly punches way above it’s weight in terms of shave quality and just overall performance.

I own both the SS and Brass and they are just excellent in workmanship and quality. I honestly can’t remember if I’ve ever given myself a bad or an uncomfortable shave with either of them. With the SS you gain a nice subtle increase in shave efficiency and blade feel with just a slightly less smoother feel as to compared to it’s stablemate, the Brass Gen. Well, I should say that in my experience that is the feel that I have consistently gotten between the two. Where I feel that the SS excels in is with the use of a Feather Super as it just transforms it into a lethal yet relatively comfy whisker whacker than can take on a weeks worth of growth or more without a problem. The Brass can do it but, the SS does it just a bit better. Again, that’s just my own personal experience between the two. To be honest, there is hardly a fault that I can find with the SS Gen. It has good heft and balance that is made from an alloy that will last centuries. The knurling on the handle is quite good and provides a solid grip once things get wet and slippery. If I were to bring up a negative, it would probably be the handle length itself. I prefer handles within the 3.5” to 3.75” length and the one on the SS is just a bit shorter than the numbers I prefer. Still, it’s more than enough to get the job done and is not uncomfortable to hold and manage. Just a change of grip is all.

In all honesty with all the plus $200 razors out there in the SE world, the SS Gen was a tremendous value at the $70 price point when offered and it was even $10 lower on it’s first initial release of 100 units. Though it did reach $100 on the last production, I still considered it a good deal. In the end, it’s just a great, great shaver. Period.

437399A9-CB68-4180-A9F1-9460D283C530.jpeg

9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent write up and picture Gus. The brush is beautiful.

clint64 and Str8on2 like this.
  10. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

After a brief period of experimenting with some of the newer DE razors, I'm back to my favorite, the SS Colonial General. It's simply the best razor I've owned; providing smooth, highly efficient shaves. I also own the brass and aluminum versions and they're just about as good. I got in on the ~$60 price and, in my experience, it was the best value in shaving.

11. DesertTime

I reached out to Colonial razors this morning, just to see what was going on. This was their response:

Thank you for reaching out!
    We are indeed coming out with a DE and v2 of The General this year. Both prototypes are arriving early next week. Hoping we can unveil one of them very soon.
    We are now only made in the USA so our brand will be improved in that regard. We’ve been working with a small machine shop here in the USA. Quality has been very high and precision excellent.
    It’s been a long time for us but we think our next two razors will be loved by many. It will be worth the wait!
    Regards,
    Kyle

clint64, Str8on2 and Douglas Carey like this.
  12. Str8on2

Good info. Thanks for the post and update. Their razors are going to be the next hot item this year.....

13. Str8on2

Thank you, Marine..... :eatdrink047:

14. DesertTime

clint64 likes this.
  15. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

June 18, 2019

Colonial Razors General UFO Colibri