COOPER RAZOR OWNERS CLUB (CRC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Herm2502, Jan 4, 2018.

1. brit

brit in a box

i am the same that way.the daily beater on the left and the shiny one .. 20190608_103219.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Linuxguile, Angelo85 and Terry like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here are all 5 unique Cooper razors I know of that they made. They made some of these with different finishes like the open comb or different style handle like the Monobilt which came in 2 distinct handle styles but those differences don't make them unique from a shave standpoint.

coop5a.jpg

Left to right, top to bottom
    dates are approximate based upon newspaper advertisements and open to revision

T1 Cooper 3pc open comb - 1932 to about 1943/44
    T2 Cooper Monobilt - 1937 until 1942/43
    T3 Cooper 3pc safety guard - made/sold from 1943/44 until 1950/51
    B1 Kant Rust 3pc - 1943/44 until 1948 possibly later
    B2 Kant Rust 3pc adjustable - 1946 until ?

More pictures
    coop5b.jpg coop5c.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    PLANofMAN, gorgo2, jtspartan and 5 others like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

There is a white plastic 3 piece Cooper as well.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That one is most likely a Sweedo. That handle style only shows up on Sweedo razors. Unless information which I am not aware of shows otherwise, handles without knurling and a straight line pattern above the nut are Sweedos and ones with the knurling above the nut are Coopers.

Linuxguile and brit like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is the Sweedo and the style of handle.
    sweedo2.jpg

See the handle, unless there is documentation showing that any Cooper razor used that particular styling of handle then I'll change my stance on that plastic razor being a Sweedo and not a Cooper.

6. Linuxguile

There was a large BIN listing of these sold on eBay last year. Several of us here bought them. They were NOS in box. Here is a link to the listing and some of the photos from it. I can take pics of mine after work but it is the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-VINTAGE-...m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

c1.jpg
    c2.jpg
    c3.jpg
    c4.jpg

brit, Terry, jtspartan and 1 other person like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Then that settles that. It is a Cooper then. Packaging works for provenance purposes here. If I knew that I'd have called it a Cooper from the get go. Now I need to get one to complete the collection at some point. Anyone have an extra they want to sell?

brit, jtspartan and Linuxguile like this.
  8. Linuxguile

It's a cool little razor to have in the collection. Unfortunately it's mild to the point of being ineffective for me. I may try it with a shim or two to see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Terry and brit like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

First shave with the first Cooper variation. Picture shows the modified blade. I used a dremel like tool with one of those cone shaped grinding stones to open up the center. This razor even when you do that still has a tendency to not want to load the blade even which is what kept happening when I tried to force the blade onto the cap tightening it down without modifying. The fix is tighten it until until the cap and plate are snug then turn the razor up side down with the handle towards the sink then do the final turns.When it pops and the blade bends to the cap it will stay even then.

coopa1.jpg coopa2.jpg

For the shave itself this razor has a good amount of blade feel but is pretty mild. I had a nick and irritation free shave. Closeness of the shave was like that of a Gillette 3pc Tech. It is not a bad razor but I also don't think it is worth the time and effort to modify blades or the cap to use this on a regular basis unless you got to have one or luck out and find one and it is at a price point you are willing to pay above what you could buy a Gillette 3pc Tech for. If you want one for collectible purposes then that is a whole different thing.

I still think the Monobilt is the best shaver of the bunch and will put that to the test next.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    PLANofMAN, Terry, jluc and 3 others like this.
  10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Yes!
    Have one, the only way to make it more mild is to remove the blade.
    tp

11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Monobilt for the next shave in the Cooper collection progression. For the amount of blade feel this razor is fairly mild. I have closer shavers than this razor but not with mild feel like this one. It is definitely a closer shave than the open comb one that you need to modify blades for. Tomorrow I am going to open up adjustment on the knob a little bit to see how that changes the shave since I've never done it before with this razor then on to the Coopersol razor aka the one that most likely has the Conrad made non-floating style Barbasol razor head

coopb1.jpg coopb2.jpg

brit, jluc, Terry and 1 other person like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Today's shave with the opened up Cooper was the best shave I've gotten with any Cooper razor thus far. I opened the knob as far as I thought it could go to increase the gap making sure the cap had no spring in it when pushed on. The shave was a lot more audible a bit tuggy on certain passes. It was one of those shaves where you are expecting to get bit but it never happens. Up next for tomorrow is the Coopersol.

PLANofMAN, Linuxguile, brit and 2 others like this.
  13. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

@RyX
    Here is the Cooper razor close up.
    KIMG0395.JPG

PLANofMAN, Linuxguile, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  14. richdad

richdad Active Member

OMG BBS You shave with barbasol? Do you use any soaps or creams made for de shaving?

brit, RyX and Terry like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks Aaron! That one actually says Cooper. The piece I was looking at was ZAMAK but had no makers marks. Someone else gave other options on what it might have been. I tried it, found it quite mild, and passed it back to The Traveling Box. It may show up in Round Two if you are interested.

Mild razors can get their shave from having a very limited correct angle for beard reduction. I prefer efficient/aggressive razors with lots of blade exposure and feel. Be keeping my shoppers eyes open for a "real" Cooper 3pc or a Monobult.

brit and Terry like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

I do occasionally, but not straight from the can. I like to shoot a blob into my bowl, punch it down with a brush to remove the propane. add water to juice it up. It's soap!

17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I even use barbasol from time to time. Barbasol works pretty well with DE razors.

Linuxguile, brit and RyX like this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Why wouldn't it ? I'm not sure how a shave soap would be different made for a DE or not but canned Barbasol dates from 1953 when I don't believe carts were yet a gleam in anybody's eye.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN, brit and RyX like this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Finally got to use the razor I've dubbed the Coopersol. Sold by Cooper but has a razor head that is most likely made by Conrad who also made this style of razor head for Barbasol razors. If I had to compare how it shaves and the end result for me this razor is like a Gillette 3pc pre war Tech. The Monobilt is still the best of lot so far but this one is in second place right now. Tomorrow I will be using the 3pc Kant Rust and the final 2 shaves the Kant Rust adjustable on it's min and max settings. I can already say the Monobilt will be the best of the lot but what I want to determine is of the remaining razors how much they differ from each other.

coopc1.jpg coopc2.jpg

PLANofMAN, Angelo85, brit and 2 others like this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Kant Rust 3pc. Mild shaver but a lot smoother than the Coopersol. If that one is a pre war tech equivalent this one is a post war tech equivalent. The overall type of shave and results also are roughly equivalent. Either way both are better performers than the open comb 3pc that needs a modified blade.

coopd1.jpg coopd2.jpg

brit, gorgo2, jluc and 1 other person like this.