The Health Club

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by wristwatchb, Sep 25, 2018.

1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks Chris. That's the reason I look at averages and trends more than single data points. When I weigh, it's always in the morning for consistency. Still, my weight can easily fluctuate 2-3 pounds from day to day, so I try not to overreact.

Bama Samurai, brit and PLAla like this.
  2. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I still haven't weighed myself since my gym's scale got stolen LOL

I got lean enough for summer and now it looks like waterski season is over so I'm going back to bulking

I finally broke 2 plates squatting - was due for 1x235 as the top set for my 531 program, but I do AMRAP and managed 8 reps. I guess something finally just clicked.

brit likes this.
  3. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

The anabolic window is a bit of a myth, it's more like several hours long. The more important thing is just getting enough protein in total throughout the day

brit and PLAla like this.
  4. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Jan: 216lbs
    Now: 189lbs

My height is 5'11" so according to all of the charts, i have a stone or two to go.

Chips, crisps, chocolate and beer are my food demons:angry019:

Paul Turner and brit like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Boy did I find a cure for the headaches I get.....just lie back on the couch, put on some classical music, and voila. Harvard University's radio station plays a lot of classical-that is, when they aren't broadcasting the sports games :).

brit likes this.
  6. Paul Turner

I just made my first appointment with my new neurologist. Nice that she's close by, but that's what I was hoping for anyway.

brit likes this.
  7. Paul Turner

How's Cathy's back?

brit likes this.
  8. Paul Turner

I'm going to get some nutrition counseling.....will call next week to set up the "intake" meeting.

brit likes this.
  9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

It's been a while since anyone has posted here. Any updates?

We had an annual check-up through our insurance a couple of weeks ago. They come to the work site and do a simple blood test (cholesterol, triglycerides, glucose) and calculate your BMI with height and weight. We all know the BMI score is a bogus calculation.

I've made a conscious effort to eat a little better and more mindfully since the previous check-up last year. My cholesterol was over 200 and I didn't like my weight at the time.

Happy to report that I've lost almost 10 pounds in that interim. My total cholesterol came down 29 points and is under 200. The HDL went up some and the LDL decreased. I still have some work on my LDL as it was at 106 and I'd like to bring it down to 100 or less. Triglycerides and glucose were both good numbers as well.

I can attribute this almost solely to eating better and eating a little less. I don't starve myself or deny the foods I like. I try to eat some salad or greens almost every day during lunch and have cut back on portions. I love vegetables and eat them every chance I get. I snack on a handful of cashews and prunes around mid-morning after a breakfast of Wheat Chex and chia seeds.

In any event, I hope some of you have had some successes recently as well.

brit likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The biggest issue for me has been my eyes. While recovering from the cataract surgery, I feel fine, but need to minimize physical stresses (I think they increase intraocular pressure.) So getting exercise is difficult.

But I got a very lightweight bow whose draw weight falls within the limits I have. So it’s kind of weird to shoot something much lighter than I’m used to, but it beats A)no shooting at all and B)just sitting on my bum doing nothing.

Oddly the other thing that is keeping me healthy right now is my sewing. The reason is simply that I am busy and nowhere near the fridge. So my craft projects help me avoid overeating that can come from boredom.

brit, Paul Turner and PLAla like this.
  11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

During the school year (I'm a high school teacher like you were) I have a much better time with eating. You're very busy and have limited time or opportunities to eat! But the summer is a different story and I always gain a little weight with more eating and less activity. But I've been lucky to be able to lose that when school starts back.

brit and Sara-s like this.
  12. Paul Turner

My big thing is to try to take more time between chewing my food. I guess that would be "mindful eating" as you mention, Perry. I also am trying to do better workouts at the gym-give more time to the stationary bike and treadmill.

brit and PLAla like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

still cutting the beer down and smaller portion sizes.really cut more of the garbage food out.losing weight slowly ..

14. wristwatchb

After almost 800 days of my new healthy lifestyle, I'm hanging in there. I lost focus for a few weeks earlier this year, but I'm back on track now. How's everyone else doing?

783 days.jpg

1.jpg

brit and Enrico like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Got to have that ice-cream, huh? :). Good to see this thread again. My current news is my PT is back up and running(Balance&Gait). I'm happy. Two sessions this week. Still watching what I eat, but especially now I am eating sllloooooooowwwwweeeeerrr than before.

wristwatchb likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

I guess I repeated muhself(on the slow eatinng).

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

What are you using?

wristwatchb likes this.
  18. wristwatchb

I use a free app called LoseIt! to track food, weight, and exercise. I also purchased an inexpensive food scale to keep me honest on portion sizes. I also track my weight in Excel.

Enrico likes this.
  19. wristwatchb

I'm glad to hear your PT has resumed, Paul, and I hope it is helping you.

Paul Turner likes this.
  20. Paul Turner

The babes will be working me hard, that's for sure. Depending on the days and times of each session, sometimes I head right to the gym and do some upper-body to complete my "full-body" workout.

wristwatchb likes this.