The Rise and Fall of the Segal Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, Aug 8, 2019.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I can't speak to quality issues after 1939. But I'm sure introduction of the cheaper thin blade in 1938 helped Gillette sales, as did the wildly successful introduction of the Tech razor. Were the Blue Blades better in 1940-1941 than CD found them to be in 38-39,,? I really have no idea. Perhaps they were, as a result of changes in manufacturing you reference in the timeline happening beginning in '39. Sources point to advertising strategy and the aforementioned new products being responsible for that immediate upswing in late 39' after the World Series campaign.

Don't go besmirching baseball fans now pal. Go Dodgers. . People bought Chryslers in the 80s and 90s. Don't underestimate the power of advertising and misplaced customer loyalty.

And when you consider the arc of Gillette's fortunes from 18% market share back up to 40,% post WW2, recall that the 1.5 billion blades Gillette made under military contract were made for folks 82% of which were not buying Gillette in 1938 (likely more than 82% given the demographic), many who had been buying from companies no longer in the business once their former customers returned from the war. And yeah maybe the Gillette blades were better too but it would be foolish not to consider the other factors that enabled Gillette's resurgence.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    GlennConti and brit like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Interesting story. What blade are you talking about here that was a bad Gillette in disguise??

3. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

“On occasion this intramural rivalry took an almost ludicrous turn. A meticulous consumer test organization, for instance, reported to its subscribers that Tuxedo brand blades were superior to Gillette’s Blue Blade seconds deemed unfit to wear the Gillette label.” Page 174 Adams.

brit likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Ok. That may or may not be Consumer Digest Consumer Reports was also published from '36, and others. At least CD didn't recommend Tuxedo blades in 38-40. . Consumer Union Reports did review Tuxedo blades in their '38 report (where they deemed the Blue Blades "grossly overpriced" but I haven't yet found the text related to Tuxedo to know if that was Lambert's reference.

Kinda got off the Segal track here...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Let me start by saying that I have several models, of the Segal Razors. I love the way they shave. But, the razors have some inherent flaws, that probably contributed to the razors downfall. First, the razors cap, and bottom comb areas were made of "Pot Metal". The teeth easily broke off, as well as the top cap broke off, where it pivots. The pivot area is very small, and is prone to breaking. I've had a couple beak, while trying to fix them. Also, the finish on some were crap.
    Gillette put out razors, that were robust, for the time, and almost every blade maker made blades that fit the Gillette.

gorgo2, brit and jmudrick like this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Is that true of all the razors? My 1st Gen. Segal clearly has a Zamak cap but the guard looks to be yellow brass. If it's plating I'm seeing it's quite robust cuz I've polished the heck out of it. My Segal adjustable on the other hand is definitely Zamak.

brit likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

If yours is yellow brass, it would be the first I heard of. I know all of mine are Zamak. Some look like brass, because of the bad plating. Try a magnet, and see if it is truly brass. I know the handle is brass.

brit likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Interesting. Shines up like yellow brass but can see grey on the teeth. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

brit and DaltonGang like this.
  9. DaltonGang

Yeppers, looks like Zamak. Sorry. They are fine shaving razors. I thought about having one replated, but you could buy a NOS for less than the replating cost.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    brit likes this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yep, I see that now. No apologies required for Zamak I'm sure it will outlive me.

DaltonGang and brit like this.
  11. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Bumping this thread...I've just added a NOS Segal adjustable to my temporary collection...perhaps permanent if anyone knows of a modern blade that will work with this marvelous piece of kit?
    It's still got the hang tag, paper slip under the top cap and two sealed blade packs in the original leather case. Condition is immaculate.
    I'd keep and use it, but won't open the NOS blades...

brit and jmudrick like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

i have access to a mint set like yours,but blade choice has stopped me going forward.

13. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Seems it's quite simple to snip out the middle of a modern DE blade with cuticle scissors.
    Lots of how to's, even a free downloadable template online if you don't have access to an original blade.
    I just can't bring myself to use a brand new 90 year old razor... yet.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I once Dremeled flat the oval hump, finagled a regular blade over the cap, and clamped it by eyeballng it straight. It shaved great but the novelty wasn't worth the effort.

DaltonGang and brit like this.
  15. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Is the Segal made of zamak or what ??
    I am interested in trying one of these and am curious of the materials its made of.... Thanks

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah. Pot metal head.

jaro likes this.
  17. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

thanks for the reply. I appreciate that.