Modern Made Straight Razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 7, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have limited experiences owning Modern Made Straight Razors.
    I have a few Chinese Gold Dollar, as well as the ZY razors. They both can be made to be very nice shaving instruments. But, what I want to talk about is anything made today, or within the past few years. Especially the Artisan made razors. Let's see some pics, as well as the pros and cons of each. It would be helpful if they were your own, or ones you've used or honed.

Hart Steel 1/4 Hollow JA
    Fine steel, and excellent sharpness. Great to shave with, but primitive looking, with both the steel and the scales. Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic razor, just not a work of art.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

No Artisan straights of modern era, just a DOVO that’s quite worthwhile.

I actually do have a Damascus non hollow ground razor, but ever with my best honing and such, I would only use it if there was absolutely nothing else to cut with including my pocket knifes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgreenepa, Keithmax, Tanuki and 3 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

Pics??

jgreenepa and Billyfergie like this.
  4. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

Dovo:
    [​IMG]

Crazy Damascus with bone scales and leather case. Way too big unless you are shaving an Ox. I have a big head too. Not this big though.
    [​IMG]

My others are an old Dovo I bought about 20 years ago. Vintage Henckel and old Genco that was made, in Geneva, NY, which is about 40 minutes from my house. A town much more known for Finger Lakes wine than manufacturing these days but many blades were made there in the early 20th century.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SterFry, jgreenepa, Manumik and 6 others like this.
  5. DaltonGang

I've seen many of those Damascus with bone scales advertised, for a price too good to be true. Were you able to get the thing "Shave Ready"??

6. DaltonGang

@champagneinhand , upon further examination of your photos, is my computer playing tricks on me, or is the edge on the Dovo chippy?? Have you used the Dovo much?? If so, how was it??

7. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

I had a Dovo and was not impressed in the least so I sold it and will not have another. Many love them by not I. I do have a pre-Dovo Bismarck that is amazing but wouldn’t buy a Dovo Bismarck.

jgreenepa, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  8. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

I have a modern Bismarck. It's a great shaver, and it took a keen edge. The thumb notch and the tang geometry feel awkward to me, so it will probably end up on a B/S/T board at some point. But for shave quality, no complaints. Not a bad looking razor either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manumik, Paul76, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  9. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

I submit the NTC (Norman Tripplet Custom) "Benrouz". Norman currently works for Classic Shaving, and he is one of the bladesmiths behind the Blades Grim brand. This 6/8 shoulderless piece is from his solo days. Terrific shaver. Haven't used it enough to have the need to hone it.

[​IMG]

jgreenepa, Manumik, Paul76 and 4 others like this.
  10. Steveclarkus

Keep using it and the thumb notch will become normal. I have a Heljestrand with a thumb notch and don’t even notice it any longer. If it gives a good shave, keep it. And it is a beautiful razor.

jgreenepa, Edison Carter and Tanuki like this.
  11. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Thank you. This isn't my only razor with a thumb notch. I have two others, one being pictured in post #9 above. It's more the length of the tang and the location of the thumb notch that feel strange to me. I find myself "choking up" on it and not using the thumb notch.

I could probably train myself to use it, and I may because I'd hate to let go of such a nice piece.

12. DaltonGang

That's a beautifully designed razor. :happy088::happy088:

jgreenepa and rs_776 like this.
  13. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

I have a couple vintage SRs I shave with, and a bunch more in the work queue. I wanted to have more shave-ready razors in the rotation so here are some modern basic razors I bought over the last couple of months.. I guess I prefer black scales. They are all camellia-oiled, some (Dovo) pretty darn oily. Top to bottom:
    Robert Klaas
    Dovo (not the cheapest Dovo SR, but close)
    Ralf Aust
    upload_2019-10-2_17-32-10.jpeg
    None of these have much history with me, and I’m still working on improving my shaving technique. I always shave a pass with the factory edge (stropped by me of course), just to check it. After that I generally take them through a progression of three diamond pasted balsa strops and go on from there. So far, not a lot to choose between for these modern basics. The Aust has the lightest scales, rounded on the edge. The other two have slightly heavier bevel edged scales.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  14. DaltonGang

They all look very nice. Modern made razors, 120 year old designs, that still work.

15. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Two more, and that’s it for me and modern razors. I got these two due to my need to detail around facial hair. The smaller blades are quite maneuverable. Same maintenance deal as the three above.
    Boker Wiener Schaber
    Dovo Barbarossa
    6D65D900-59DE-4078-90D3-2E39591AA8C1.jpeg
    I was doubtful about the Dovo in stainless. But it had perhaps the best ‘factory edge’ of any. I oil it when I put it away, but I don’t worry as much about blade cosmetics and edge degradation while it is in the queue. If I get all my vintage acquisitions honed to shave-ready and into the rotation, queue times will skyrocket. (Well, triple, maybe.)

jgreenepa, Manumik, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  16. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

So if I get a thumb notched Dovo Bismarck (which I shouldn’t because ‘Dovo’), I should get it right away, before I get experienced enough to have a ‘normal’. Right? :)

BTW, you might be responsible for this modern razor:
    870019C5-31F3-41D8-87AF-2CEFA731B67B.jpeg
    Chuck Naill used it to knock me off the fence about SR.

jgreenepa, Manumik, rs_776 and 4 others like this.
  17. Steveclarkus

Don’t get me wrong, Dovo likely produces mostly very good razors but I likely got a dud and don’t want to take a chance a second time. It was a Dovo “Special” and should have been a good Dovo. Also, I didn’t buy it new. And regarding the Gold Dollar with the thumb notch and French Point was mine at one time. It took a good edge but I wasn’t good enough for that point at the time. Also the thumb notch on a Dovo Bismarck may be a bit more to your liking as it is somewhat less extreme. The Dovo Bismarck generally gets very high praise. The Gold Dollar will be a very good razor to learn to hone with. Get some lapping film and you will be successfully honing in a week.

18. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Yes, that was the beginning of a "beautiful relationship". There are so many vintage $10 razor in near pristine condition that for me it makes no sense to buy new. After all, the vintage were made in a time of competition and wide spread utility.

jgreenepa, Tanuki, M14Shooter and 2 others like this.
  19. DaltonGang

I agree, but some people like the modern for artistic reasons. Some are beautiful, and are very well made.

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Here is a quick summary of my modern razor experiences:

Dovo: I have two, a Bismarck 2 and Master's. Both are 6/8 thumb notch designs. Both are joy to shave with and hone

Mike Martinez. If you can get one the steel is outstanding, takes and hold a very sharp edge for a long time.

Koraat: Highly recommend for a custom straight. Ulrick is a pleasure to work with and makes a great razor.

Osiris: New to the stable and only one shave so far. So far so good.

Mastro Livi Grifretto: Stainless steel, easy to hone and take very smooth edges.

Wacker Huntsman: A joy to hone and shave with.

Riga Razors: I own two and wow they take an extremely sharp edge.

PRC: Ended their custom lines, nice razors. 2 are a breeze to hone but one is a little tricky and does not hold it's edge as long as the others.

Edward Brice: Very nice, easy to hone and a looker. Ed is easy to work with and you feel like you are getting a bespoke razor.

Hart Steel: Nice blades but somewhat clunky

Herr and Razor: Mine has a big smile with an excellent grind. Takes a very nice edge.

Brian Brown: Classic shapes, nice steel.

I prefer the modern razors. It is true you can find some great vintage razors for a few $, but until you get in your hands you do not if there are any geometry issues. I find modern razors easier to hone and maintain. Plus I like the looks.

jgreenepa, PLANofMAN, Tanuki and 4 others like this.