SAS, DFS, BBS...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by BlueShaver, Sep 10, 2019.

1. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Looking for clarification:

What are the accepted definitions for quality of shave and what do they mean?

SAS = Socially Acceptable Shave: No beard. As one would get from the use of a shaver on level 0.

DFS = Damn Fine Shave: No visible stubble As one would get with a single/double pass wet shave. Stubble evident on touch in some or most areas.

BBS = Baby Butt Smooth: No stubble to see or feel. No rough spots. As one would get with a 3-4 pass shave and touch ups or buffing.

Thoughts?

Ron R, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Ron R, RyX, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Your definitions are what I have heard before.

brit likes this.
  4. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

SAS = if you are special forces you have to be clean shaven to wear a gas mask

what was the question again?

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

• SAS = A connection interface for a hard drive or SSD
    • Average shave = No visible stubble, reasonably smooth, no irritation or nicks
    • Great shave = Like an Average Shave, but even more smooth and very comfortable
    • Baby bottom smooth = Smooth as a baby's bottom (i.e. absolutely smooth, cannot feel any stubble whatsoever). This is a degree of smoothness, not a shave quality level.
    • Excellent shave (a.k.a. outstanding shave, fantastic shave, etc.) = A baby bottom smooth shave that is also very comfortable, including zero irritation and no nicks.
    In my opinion, the acronym soup is not terribly useful. Definitions of DFS, BBS, and all the rest can vary among individuals. Also, smoothness is only one aspect of shave quality. Comfort is another. For some folks, shaving time is yet another factor, as they don't want to take 45 min each day to get an incredible shave. From what I have seen and experienced over the years, closeness and comfort are by far the two most important factors. That applies to all shaving methods, not just traditional shaving.

Another problem with ad-hoc shaving terms is that wetshavers can start spinning them out like acronym hamsters. We would then wind up with a collection of ill-defined terms, which would render them largely meaningless. My take is that when describing a shave, the Queen's English works best.

Spyder, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm no lawyer, but...."Asked and answered" :)

brit likes this.
  7. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I'd like to add one more, if I may?

MLI - "Momma" likes it

Synonymous with TWLI - The wife likes it!

I can tell a lot of you guys haven't been married as long as I have! ;)

My point is that as long as your significant other is happy with how you look, then you are good! Happy wife, happy life!!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Enrico, wristwatchb and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

This should be in the wet shavers handbook. :happy088:

brit and Shaver X like this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yup. Wifey Approved. WA.

Shaver X and S Barnhardt like this.
  10. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

The way I heard it:
    BBS = Baby Bottom Smooth = No perceptible stubble when stroking in any direction
    DFS = Damn Fine Shave = Like BBS, but stubble may be felt ATG.
    SAS = Socially Acceptable Shave = No VISIBLE stubble, but you may feel it.
    CCS = Close Comfortable Shave = Similar to SAS, maybe a little closer, with no irritation

Ron R and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Your definitions follow my thoughts.

That BBS is the target, but it's often accompanied by over shaving & irritation. Don't chase the baby.

DFS is the most often reached and very acceptable outcome. Little perceivable stubble and no irritation. My perception of just when that happens has surely shifted since changing from carts. Alum is my best test for razor burn from too much pressure or bad angle of attack.

A CCS just might have a few "vacations" - missed spots felt when checking ATG but otherwise known only to me on close inspection.

A SAS would be the result of a hurried beard reduction that is better than most cart users receive. It would at least look like I tried to shave.

Ron R, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  12. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

When my wife took her exam for certification by the Barbering Board they evaluated with a cotton ball. No fiber pull allowed.

Doesn't mean comfortable though, I know, I was the test subject.

DaltonGang, Ron R, RyX and 3 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You forgot one:
    BDBS(Baby Dolphin Butt Smooth)- Smoother than Babies Butt, and more slippery to boot.:D

Edison Carter, brit and Ron R like this.
  14. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

OK, I can see how this threads going to go from here...

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Yep. This thread has no choice. It's happening. :happy093:

BigMike and brit like this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I have to agree with a lot of you your interpretations of shave ratings and when in doubt take out the cotton ball and it will tell you a lot. It is almost impossible to recieve a 100% BBS shave IMO. My sweet spot CCS,DFS,BBS range and i'm happy and if the Alum block indicates a lot of irritation you over shaved so chasing the Baby is not worth it if you look like a cooked lobster.
    Have some great shaves!

brit likes this.
  17. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

BDBS - level II

brit and DaltonGang like this.
  18. DaltonGang

Level II ????

brit likes this.
  19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

SIWITUTSWAGI (Sometimes I wonder if taking up traditional shaving was a good idea). ;)

RWGTP (Has no real world counterpart, added for sake of clarity)

And I thought Louie, Louie was incomprehensible...

brit and Enrico like this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I don't use SAS for the simple reason, I don't want to acceptable in most social events.

But I do agree with the following ......

BBS=Baby Butt Smooth
    DFS=Damn Fine Shave
    CCS=Close Comfortable Shave

and I'd add .....

YTGLAM ........ Youch That's Gonna Leave A Mark!

:eatdrink013:

Edison Carter and brit like this.