Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

This is a place to show appreciation for an extremely well made family of razors, The Gem Micromatic family. There are 3 main Micromatics with a few variations within the 3 at least as far as I know. They are the MicroMatic Open Comb or MMOC the MicroMatic Clog Proof or MMCP and the MicroMatic Bullet Tip or MMBT. There are several other names for these razors but whatever you call them they are fantastic razors that are built like a tank. All Gems and Gem cousins are welcome here. The ones I know of are Gem of course, Ever-Ready and Treet. Basically any rumor produced by American Razor Company or ASR. So to kick things of I will be shaving with one of the Micromatics and it's cousin an Ever-Ready tonight

The Gem is an MMCP
    The Ever-Ready a 1914 aka little lather catcher.
    I will use a Ted Pella 6th use blade and lathering up with Tabac on a two band badger brush.

[​IMG]

I hope to see @Chuck Naill @Flintstone65 @Tanuki @Ron R @jmudrick and a few others here. If I didn't mention someone who you think would enjoy this thread please tag them and invite them.

2. GAW9576

Today's Micromatic Monday was actually a Gemonday with the Gem Jr. Bar. I used a Treet super given to me by a friend. I'm assuming these are carbon blades. It was smoother than the Pal carbon blade I started with a then quickly abandoned but not much. I want to try stropping some of these different carbon blades. I have a paddle strop with interchangeable magnetic stopping pads but I really want to get a fire hose hanging strop. Anyways Mer Shavings Barbershop lathered great with a two band badger.
    This was a quick but enjoyable shave overall. I slept an hour longer than planned otherwise I would have done the stropping today.

[​IMG]

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gem MMCC Razor
    Gem Stainless Blade
    Frank Shaving Badger Brush
    Regiment Bravura Soap
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel w/Rose
    Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Untitled.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s, Droo78 and GAW9576 like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Guiding Eye for a beautiful mild shave.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s, Ursa, Juno and 3 others like this.
  5. GAW9576

Beautiful razors gentlemen. Thanks for joining Micromatic Monday.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Good for you @GAW9576 for starting this thread!
    MMMonday for myself today with my Peerless Clog Pruf and it sure works well when my shave count is high on my Gem blade. I find the MMCP a little smoother than my MMOC but not by much with excellent outcome for a shave.
    Razor : Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf ( Peerless Variant)- MFG 1945,17 nibs on safety bar compared to standard 12 nib.
    Blade : GEM Personna SS PTFE (9)
    Soap: Razorock Iirish Country side
    Brush : Yaqi Rainbow 26mm brown whiskers.
    Preshave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Post shave: Pinaud Clubman with witch hazel + Nivea balm
    Result: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]
    MMMonday Dec 9-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

7. GAW9576

Thank you. A few people had mentioned wishing there was one here. I just figured it was time.

Ron R likes this.
  8. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

I just happened to use the MMOC today here's the rehash of this morning's shave:
    Razor: MMOC
    Blade: brand new CVS carbon steel
    Soap: Christmas Eve from Stirling--LOVE it!
    Brush: Stirling 'Kong'
    Balm: the sample Christmas Eve the fine folks at Stirling included
    Enhancements: Stirling's Frost Drops

christmas eve.png

Gonna be a fantastic week! :D

9. GAW9576

Great setup. I have some CVS blades i haven't used yet but I thought they were SS. Thanks for sharing your shave.

10. GAW9576

By the way everyone if I didn't mention it in the anitial post Micromatic Mondays are not restricted to Mondays. You can post here all week as long as the shave includes an American Safety Razor razor. Also you can post multiple razor shave here if they include an ASR razor or any multiple razor shave over here
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-daily-double.63233/

11. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

It is certainly possible that CVS sells a stainless version; however, the ones I have are not--not stamped "stainless" anywhere, and they start to show a dark discoloration in parts after the first shave. Still, smooth shavers that last me a while if I take the time to clean and dry them off after every shave (and let's be honest, how hard is it to pull a blade out of an MMOC or Ever-ready 1912--Gadfrey, I enjoy how these razors are designed :D)

Ijustmissedthe50s and GAW9576 like this.
  12. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Thank you for starting this thread. Perhaps it will have the beneficial effect the other had. No one interested in vintage shaving or shaving itself should deny themselves of this wonderful design.

13. GAW9576

It's also possible that mine are carbon steel. I'm sure I'll be able to tell when I eventually use them.

Micromatics a amazing razors in fact the entire Gem line is worth a try. Especially the older ones. I don't use the newer ones like the contour and featherweight as often because they are milder but sometimes a mild shave is needed. I have a few of the other ASR razors and enjoy them as well. But man did they come close to perfection with the three Micromatics.

14. Chuck Naill

One of the best looking is the Push Button introduced at Christmas 1958 if my memory is correct.
    Push Button.jpg

15. Chuck Naill

Used the BMMOC this am with a much used PTFE blade for a classic Micromatic shave. Thanks for the inspiration. :eatdrink013::signs097:

GAW9576 likes this.
  16. GAW9576

I recently acquired a pushbutton. Haven't had a shave with it yet but I'm guessing it will shave the same as my pushbutton contour. I also got a dark brown handled featherweight to keep my featherweight deluxe company.

Chuck Naill and timabababaluka like this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I find the Gem 1958-65 push button razor a great daily driver and it is one of the better looking gems with the gold finish.( I have seen some chromed ones also- rare) I also found it not that a aggressive but a smooth gem razor like some of Gem family of razors!
    Gem 1959 push-button razor (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Hello Chuck, I was wondering where you had gone to . AKA Twelvefret good to see you over at the TSD, I joined here a couple of years ago when B&B put me in the dog house for a non B&B approved vender violation promoting? - but they forgave me after a while.(I not good at reading rules). Lucky for TSD you wondered over here for this shaving hobby because you had a bit of a following and some are here now. I believe you started the B&B MMMonday and Fred @Flintstone65 & @GAW9576 and others are still doing role calls and are Gem fans and no doubt will be contributing here.
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Flintstone65, GAW9576 and Chuck Naill like this.
  19. Chuck Naill

Hello @Ron R

So, didn't you develop an extensive timeline for all things GEM?? I didn't want to post without permission, but I bet some folks here would be interested.

GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Well Chuck I can not take credit for that A.S.R master piece of Time lines chart effort by @mata_66, but the thread may of encouraged the timeline chart creation by us who all contributed. https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gem-razor-models.60719/page-9
    Have some great shaves!