Schick Injector Type I and J reclassification

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Aug 30, 2019.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

64 it is. I didn't actively search 64 for adjustable razors. The ad I found for them stated they are new for 1965. The Lady Eversharp I did search prior to 62 and didn't find any mention.

jaro likes this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You'll find ads still saying "new" well into Christmas shopping season in '65. Pay no attention.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Lady Eversharp Type K razors were sold from 1962 - 1969 not 1968 as previously dated.

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I searched 64 and found ads for the adjustable.

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yup, as I said.

PAL had introduced their adjustable in '62 , Schick was playing catch up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

On the adjustables the dates for the following on my research.

M1 1964 - 1969

M3 1970 - 1974

M2 1973 - 1977.

I'll post all the ads and dates when I get things reformatted. I will also split all these dates and ads off into their own separate thread.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

One other interesting tidbit the ribbed handle upon further inspection first shows up on a G8 not the I2 as it turns out.

Earliest mention of a G8 (sold as a Deluxe kit) I found is for Feb. of 1954 and the I2 Apr. of 1954. Also means the G8 was introduced in 1954 and not 1955.

8. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

How do you rank them in order of preference?

9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The easy way is to go by category which is how I group them by the way they shave. Any razor in a certain category is going to be an equivalent shaver. I am only listing the razors I like in each category.

In order from most to least

Category 5
    J3*

Category 4
    I2v2**

Category 3
    I2v2, I1v1/J1v1***

*Of the categories the J3 Golden 500 is probably the hardest and most expensive to obtain also more times than not you'll see J4 razors sold as a Golden 500 since sellers to tend mismatch the razor to the case or assume that a case marked Eversharp 500 is a Golden 500 which it isn't. You have to look at the razor stamping to confirm if it is a J4 or J3 regardless of what the case says. A correctly paired J3 set will have a razor stamped Schick Golden 500 and the case will also say Golden 500 on it.

**You'll be lucky if you find an I2v1 but the I2v2 is easier to find and can be found on the cheap if you stay away from sets and find the right listing since I2 prices regardless of variant tend to have a wide spread in range.

*** These razors unlike any of the Hydro magics can take a Schick Twin II blade. It is a tossup between them, comes down to which handle style I or J do you like better if you want to use Twin blades if not then it is do you want a razor with the hydro magic lever or not for this category. I don't like the J4v2 since I don't like long handles on razors that are this aggressive.

I find Category 1 and 2 too mild for me but if you like mild razors any of the ones in those categories are easy to obtain except for the I2v3.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    gorgo2 and brit like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Couple of dates that can be revised.

The type D was sold 1934 and 1935.
    The E1 was sold in 1936
    E2 from 1937 to at least 1940. When they switched springs on E2s I don't know. The 1940 date can be corroborated by instructions showing it is an E2 without the movable spring with the 20 year guarantee dated to 1940.
    E3 at least as early as 1941, I have scans of instructions with the 20 guarantee for an E3 style razor dated to 1941.
    E3 and maybe E2 razors were sold for civilian production during WWII in 1941 and 1942 then they disappear until 1946.
    When they introduced the E4 razors I have no idea but they did sell them on the civilian market in 1946.
    1946 is the first mention of Eversharp but it looks like in 1946 they were only selling surplus E4 razors and some leftover type F razors.
    The first ads I found that clearly show a G1 are from 1947.

gorgo2 and brit like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

One other small tidbit on the G1 razors upon further research there were 3 variants total and I can lock down almost the exact date range for each.
    The first distinguisher is the stamping on the spring, Earlier variants which I will cal G1v1 are stamped Schick Injector and date to 1946 possibly as late as 1947. The G1v2 and G1v3 have are stamped Eversharp Schick and appear maybe as early as 1947 but definitely in 1948 through 1953 and possibly as late as Jan. or Feb. of 1954 before they superseded by the G8 injectors with the ribbed handles. G8 razor for sure shows up by Feb. 11th of 1954.

Here is a G1v1
    schick46-47g.jpg

The second distinguisher that differentiates a G1v2 from a G1v3 is ferrule on the handle the G1v2 had the square ferrule and were produced possibly as early as 1947 but definitely by 1948 through 1952. The G1v3 had the rounded ferrule and was produced in 1953 and possibly as late as Jan. or early Feb. of 1954.

On the left is the G1v3 and right G1v2
    schickg48-53.jpg

gorgo2, GatorJoe and brit like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Update new J3 variant added. J3 should be changed to Schick 500 since it came in 2 variants aka a regular chrome plated 500 version and a gold plated Schick Golden 500 version.

Update#2 picture color threw me off, they are both gold but were sold concurrently as a Schick 500 from 1965 - 1967. Both were sold in distinct '500' sets with different stamped razors depending the set from 1965 - 1967. Whether they are also different shavers is unknown.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    gorgo2, brit and jmudrick like this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I and J timeline dates updated.

brit likes this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Update redid designations and updated dates and categories accordingly.

brit likes this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Updated classifications for J3, category types for equivalent shavers and redid the timeline.

brit likes this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Update pictures of the J4v1 added and information updated throughout the postings.

brit likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

More concise and readable version on the I1x, J1x and J2 razors. See earlier posts for razor pictures.
    Advertisement from Sports Illustrated in 1957.
    [​IMG]

First iterations produced between 1957 - 1959 as shown in the ad above
    modern nomenclature Type I1v1 and J1v1

Marketing nomenclature
    Eversharp Schick Injector Razor, new long handle and new classic handle.

long handle refers to the Type J1v1 razors the classic handle the Type I1v1 razors.

Visual features, both came with only white handles and both had Eversharp Schick stamped on the razor heads.

ad from the Chicago Tribune Apr. 15th 1959
    [​IMG]

Second iterations produced between 1959 - 1964 see ad above

modern nomenclature Type I1v2 and J1v2

Marketing nomenclature
    Schick Safety Razor

Visual features, both came with only white handles and both had Schick Safety Razor stamped on the razor heads. You can see both style handles in the display tray in the ad.

ad from the Alabama Journal May 14th 1964
    [​IMG]

Third and final iterations produced between 1964 - 1967 see ad above

modern nomenclature Type I1v3 and J2

Marketing nomenclature
    Schick Injector Razor, choice of two new black ebony handles

Visual features, both came with only black handles and both had Schick stamped on the razor heads.

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

More concise and readable version on the Schick '500' razors aka the J4vx and J3vx razors. See earlier posts for razor pictures.

Ad from the Billings Gazette Dec. 8th 1954
    [​IMG]
    First iterations produced between 1954 - 1959 as shown in the ad above
    modern nomenclature Type J4v1 and J4v2

Visual features, both came with white or black handles and both had Eversharp Hydro-magic stamped on the razor heads. The J4v1 had a shorter lever with no writing on it, the J4v2 had a longer lever with writing on it.

Marketing nomenclature
    Eversharp Hydro-Magic '500', Eversharp-Schick '500'

ad from the Tucson Daily Citizen Dec. 17th 1959
    [​IMG]
    Second iteration produced between 1959 - 1964 see ad above
    modern nomenclature Type J3V1

Marketing nomenclature
    Schick Golden '500'

Visual features, came with black or white handles had Schick Golden '500' stamped on the razor heads.

ad from the El Paso Times Jun. 12th 1969
    [​IMG]
    Third and final iteration produced between 1964 - 1969 see ad above
    modern nomenclature Type J3v2

Marketing nomenclature
    Schick '500'

Visual features, came with black or white handles had Schick '500' stamped on the razor heads.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Edison Carter and brit like this.
  19. Brian Watson

Brian Watson New Member

[​IMG]on the J2 you say it only came in black. I have a white one with just the Schick stamp. I cannot find any information even close to what you show and was hoping you can help me identify this one.

20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The picture attachment is not viewable. I'd have to see it and see if it really is white or the handle color is faded.