Fears of scarring

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by FurryFan93, Jan 10, 2020.

1. FurryFan93

FurryFan93 Member

Hey guys, I got cut badly a little (at least its bad in my opinion), Its like a straight line cut right above the chin below the lip area (3 different spots). This happened when I went to use the chieftain to shave today and used a new blade some of the shark chrome blades. I didn't go side to side but all it took was like on this spot as soon as the razor blade touched the skin it cut me. I'm worried when this happens as this scares me to wanting to stop using these types of razors altogether as I'm worried about getting scars on my face.. I didn't get cut anywhere else other than that one spot. Do you guys think stuff like this will scar or 'shouldn't'

Could I have the blade angle wrong?

Also sorry for always asking these types of questions.. I'm just such a newbie and very dumb one at that.

Edit: I thought i should add, Never really got cut by Cartridge razors when i was using them.. idk if this info matters

Terry and Edison Carter like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Hey there. My name is Charlie, and I'm glad you're here with us. No worries. We all started out as newbies and had a bunch of questions.

Barring an equipment malfunction, then one or more aspects of your technique needs improvement. Focusing on the basics is crucial to a good shave. This includes things like beard mapping, using a sharp blade, beard prep prior to the shave, having a good lather, not shaving over un-lathered areas, stretching your skin prior to every stroke of the blade, not trying to remove everything in one pass, paying attention to proper blade angle, using just enough pressure to keep the blade touching the face, and not taking too many passes. In my opinion, it's easier to learn good technique by sticking with the same razor, brand of blade (changing them frequently enough to always have a sharp blade edge), brush, and soap or cream.

Skipping one or more of these basics eventually causes problems or results in a less than desirable shave. It takes a bit of practice, but all this soon becomes automatic and will take less time to complete. Once your technique is solid and repeatable, you'll no longer have to worry about cuts, etc. In fact, you'll be able to shave well with any razor. I never thought I could shave with anything but an electric razor a few years ago, and now I use DEs, SEs, cartridge razors, or shavettes on a daily basis with no problems.

Consider joining the 30 Day Rule / Focus Group. Post details about your shaves, ask questions, and folks there will be glad to help. You'll be amazed at the progress you'll make in 30 days. It has worked for many folks over the years. Some stick around after they've learned and get a kick out of helping others.

If that's not your thing, check out some of Mantic59's videos. I found this one to be helpful as I was getting started.

Good luck, my friend, and keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    AGHisBBS, richgem, Lancre and 2 others like this.
  3. FurryFan93

FurryFan93 Member

Will small cuts like this though cause scarring?

4. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

I don't know much about the Chieftain, and am not an expert on technique at all, but it sounds to me like you might be starting your shave at too steep an angle (the handle too close, or parallel, to your face). Try keeping the handle at a 90 degree angle--you shouldn't be able to shave anything at all as you move the razor down--then slowly lower the handle down toward your face until you start cutting hair. That's the angle you're looking for.

I AM an expert on getting cuts and nick's (a couple summers ago I tried shaving with a shavette--so many slices and styptic pencils), and I can tell you this: you have to cut pretty deep to leave a scar. I'm talking needing stitches deep. I've had a couple nasty cuts, but have yet to walk away with any scars. Don't give up on the chieftain just yet ;)

If you are really looking for technique help, you might consider following the January 2020 30 Day Challenge thread. People focus on improving their technique by concentrating on specific aspects for a whole month. I've never seen a group of guys who know more about shaving, technique, and equipment--also, super friendly and helpful :)

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I've suffered some small cuts over the last few years as I've learned, and I don't have any scars. The key is to shave properly so that cuts don't happen in the first place.

I'm an old dude, and my skin actually looks better now than when I started using a DE razor.

AGHisBBS, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  6. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Haven't scarred from one yet ;)

wristwatchb likes this.
  7. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

@FurryFan93

Greetings. I'm Bill.

I recall a saying I used to hear once in a while around these parts.....
    .......Chicks dig scars!

That said, I've got facial scars from raggedy boo-boo's. But none from shave cuts which tend to be more even, straight and almost surgical.

AGHisBBS and Lancre like this.
  8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I gave myself a nasty slice with a straight one time and I’ve cut myself dozens of times over forty years of shaving with every kind of razor.
    Not a single scar.
    Teenage acne. That’s a different story.

AGHisBBS, Lancre and Edison Carter like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've got a scar on my cheekbone from a straight razor accident 8 or 9 years ago. I'm fairly certain it wouldn't have scarred if I hadn't picked at the scab. Either way, it's nearly invisible. Cuts from razors are near surgical, and tend to heal quickly, with minimal scarring.

AGHisBBS and Edison Carter like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD @FurryFan93
    I just took a look at a Chieftain razor, which, up until you mentioned it, I had no idea what type it was. It looks to be a typical DE, in fact, another Weishi clone, which were copies of the Gillette Super-Speed. IMO, you "set" your razor down on your skin and because skin is soft and DE razor blades are extremely thin and SHARP, you breached the skin. I wouldn't worry about scarring. As you move forward, start with a MUCH shallower angle with your razor. Place the head of the razor on your skin with the handle pointing 90˚ straight out, away from your face. Slowly lower the handle until you just sense the blade. THIS is a proper angle to slice the whiskers and not your skin. Focus on keeping this angle throughout the entire shave. IMO, this is the BIGGEST challenge every shaving :whacky024: faces. Join us on the 30DC thread. Post your questions and we will help.

11. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

First off, Welcome.

Second, relax. Even my worst shaving cuts have healed scar-free.

If you're just coming over from cartridges, you're almost certainly applying too much pressure.

Try this without a blade in the razor so you don't have to worry:
    Tilt your head to one side and just lay the razor on your cheek with no pressure.
    That's the way it should feel when you're shaving. Try to remove the lather, not the whiskers. If you get it right, the whiskers will come off too.

Good luck.

12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Oh dear, all the above posts are correct, the face and especially the lips bleed somthing awful, leaving the impression it's worse than it is. I use a little antibiotic ointment, seems to help even on the smallest of nicks.

Going from carts to DE razors is a jump. Be patient, take your time, you'll get there.
    DE razor blades are sharper, so it takes some skill to use them, that must be learned.
    So, riding the cap is the solution to most shaving ills. Try landing your razor on the head not on the blade.
    Then, slowly bring the handle to the point where the blade just touches your face during your stroke. Once you get this down, nicks and cuts will not happen. You will instinctively know where this position is after a while. It takes practice, practice, practice. Most, if not all of us were where you are, I was.
    With carts, pressure is not an issue, DE razors do not require ANY pressure on the skin to operate properly.
    Thats why you never got cut or nicked with a cartridge razor. Cartridge razors blade are also much duller, they are made that way so it takes no skill to operate one.
    Good luck!
    tp

13. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Are you prone to scarring? Do you have any other noticeable scars?

The wound caused by a razor is usually a very clean cut, shallow. From surgical sharp blade
    If you keep it infection free, clean, don’t pick at it, chances are you wont scar.
    You can always add some vitiating E ointments once wound is closed.

technique is very important. If you are hesitant to use chieftain again. I suggest a feather popular it is uber mild.

This game is different, you do anything mindlessly like with a cart, it is a totally different mind set.

AGHisBBS and Edison Carter like this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I had a fair number of cuts in the beginning, no scars. It's all about technique, unfortunately technique takes practice, the more you practice the better you get. I don't remember cuts so much with carts, but the terrible shaves, razor burn and skin irritation was the worst. Take your time and stick with DE it will payoff in the end. :happy088:

15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

If you're really concerned about a bad cut, just keep it moist with 2x/day antibiotic ointment or even just Vaseline. Note that I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV. I am against the over use of antibiotics,* especially when it comes to every little cut and scrape. Keeping a wound moist, or better put lubricated, however, does help prevent scarring.

OTOH, let nature take its course (the body is amazing at fixing itself) and at worst you have a good story to make up and tell people about how you saved an old lady from a knife-wielding hooligan or some such.

*because I understand their medical value and that we really are overly antiseptic these days leading to fewer and fewer antibiotics that actually work.

16. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

After my tattoo, I was instructed to clean the area with a soap with no fragrances and to use a non fragrance moisturizer to ensure proper healing. I suspect the same would be true for any break in the skin.

While I have been using DE, SE, Shavette, and Straights for some time, I've recently come to realize how easy it is to shave mindlessly. Take your time, use a light touch, and make each stroke intentionally. IOW, no random stroke. Pay attention to what you are doing.

Edison Carter likes this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

You have to look at problems as a learning curve when starting to shave with traditional razors.
    You can get some cuts if you slap the razor at the start of a stroke on your face.(happened to me-nothing real serious) You have to be also careful if you get into a Gillette slide maneuver that is to steep a diagonal angle, basically like running the edge of the blade over your skin like a slicing knife.
    Gillette slide (2).jpg Gillette slide Maneuver
    Have some great shaves!

18. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have quite a few scars on my face and only one is from shaving. They add character.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Terry and Leclec13 like this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

When going to DE, SE , straights, etc. cuts and nicks are the price of an education. Safety razors in the main don't allow for deep enough or big enough slices that would scar up as long as you aren't trying to mash the blade into your face. Even then most razors won't cut you bad enough that scarring would occur because you can't get enough exposed blade on the face to cut yourself more than superficially.

PLANofMAN and Terry like this.
  20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes that is funny you say your face looks better. My wife says mine does too. After only 5 years of correct shaving.

As to scaring. I have sliced myself good many times, with all types of razors.

The only scar is from my very first go with a straight. I did not even feel it just felt the warm blood.

It is 3” long and only visible if I get a sunburn.

Do not worry about scaring with your DE. To steep an angle most likely cut you.

As Charlie said join the 30 day club. I messed around for a few months not joining and following the program. Has burning face and many weepers.

Once I joined and did it a few months. The weepers and burning face all bit vanished.

Enjoy your journey.
    Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wristwatchb and Edison Carter like this.