Pinaud Clubman to Glass and Upgrade That Scent.

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Tim Spencer, Nov 12, 2019.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

@Tim Spencer My water wasn't hot enough, I'm sure! It was starting to come loose, but I messed it up trying to get it started peeling. I know what I did wrong, so next time it'll be different.

Tim Spencer, Paul Turner and brit like this.
  2. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

Great idea. I couldn't find any cool old bottles around the house but I did have a Franks Red Hot sauce bottle that needed something done with it. I was gonna do this earlier but was concerned about getting the label off and since my handwriting stinks, I didn't know what to do. Lo and behold, come to TSD and BANG, there it is. Worked perfectly. Thanks for the tip.
    IMG_0821.JPG

178-bplatoon, Enrico, Leo501 and 5 others like this.
  3. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

I also transferred some to a small (2 oz.?) glass bottle with a plastic sprayer, so there’s still some plastic involved. At first I didn’t notice much change. If anything it smelled weaker, like it was missing something.

I didn’t touch it for a good month and tried it recently. Very nice and definitely different. Cleaner I guess. But the plastic bound juice also smells good to me. So now I have two Clubmans.

To the OP, does the plastic restrictor in the plastic Clubman bottle fit in your glass replacement?

Tim Spencer, brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  4. S Barnhardt

I ran across something today that, I think, fits into this discussion. My wife was in the process of rinsing a worcestershire sauce bottle to put it in the recycle bin. I noticed it had a flip-top cap and screwed onto the bottle. So, I said to my self...Self! That looks like it just might be a good bottle to use to put AS in. Got to looking at it and found it was a 15 fl oz bottle with a screw-on/off cap that has a flow restrictor built into it and a flip-top. Tailor-made! So, I'm going to mention it here in case you might need to find an easily accessible bottle that you just might already have in the house. It's French's Worcestershire Sauce in a 15 fl oz bottle. I'm posting a picture of it along with another "corked" bottle I got at Hobby Lobby a week or so ago for something like $3. I hope someone can use this idea.

bottles 1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Hembree, 178-bplatoon, brit and 4 others like this.
  5. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

The plastic restrictor isn't constantly touching the juice so it shouldn't effect the scent. The plastic that Pinaud uses for their bottle is cheap and clearly adds a weird smell to the sauce.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Hembree likes this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I mean,...plastic bottle for a company that got going in 1830. I'm for real glass for these fellas.

Hembree and brit like this.
  7. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

Anyone do this with Aqua Velva as well?

I really like how Gillette Cool Wave comes in a glass bottle. I'll be sure to save the empty.

Paul Turner and brit like this.
  8. Paul Turner

This would be a good reason to shake it before application, right? That is, to cut down on the weirdness?

9. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

I used a Franks Hot Sauce bottle with the same flip-top. It's very generous with it's pour since the a/s is so much thinner. I'm trying to figure something to put in it to reduce it even more. Did I say it's very generous.

178-bplatoon and S Barnhardt like this.
  10. Tim Spencer

I meant the plastic restrictor shouldn't (I wrote 'should', but should have written 'shouldn't') effect the smell of the aftershave. The only reason the Clubman smells like plastic is because they're using cheap plastic that is letting chemicals into the aftershave. For some reason these chemicals go away on their own just by putting the aftershave juice into a glass bottle. I'm not chemist, so I have no idea 'why' this happens, but I just know the plastic that Pinaud uses for their bottles is messing up a great scent for no reason.

Paul Turner likes this.
  11. Tim Spencer

Hmm,

I'm wondering who hasn't gone glass yet and if they haven't, why not? What's your hold up?

S Barnhardt, brit and Enrico like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Glass here.

:eatdrink047:

brit likes this.
  13. Paul Turner

Clubman and others probably went to plastic, saying "Let's try something DIFFERENT. Change is good". Perhaps in the case of going from glass bottles to plastic, the "something different" has turned out BAD, not good.

14. Paul Turner

Does shaking it before use cut down the weirdness, or add TO it?

15. S Barnhardt

I've got my Clubman Special Reserve in glass.

clubman special reserve rebottled 2.jpg

I've cleaned out and saved a bottle that I think will work good for another one. Cholula Mexican hot sauce. it has the smaller opening like most other hot sauces.

cholula bottle.jpg Full cholula bottle empty.jpg Empty

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Aztecmike and Enrico like this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Well I finally got around to putting My Pinaud Clubman into a glass container, I find the scent a little to strong for my desire so I decanter into a smaller vessel using witch Hazel thinning out the scent strength, the Clubman restricter fits my small canter glass bottle . I have been diluting my Pinaud clubman for a few years now. I leave the main base Clubman aftershave alone , Witch Hazel will cloud some aftershaves because of powders they put in aftershaves to enhance the scent so don't dump witch Hazel into the main source when experimenting ratio's. I bought one of those cheap Atomizers at our dollar store and it fits the top of my Dickinson's bottle, one of the fellows on youtube (Kit)claims it feels cooler to the skin when Atomized.(Still testing that thought, it seems to feel cooler to the skin- not a real advantage.) I thought I would show the atomizer to see if others are doing something similar. I used Tim's method of removing the Pinaud Clubman logo sticker off the plastic bottle by pouring hot water into it that in turn loosens the glue and it worked well.
    Pinaud Clubman- transfer plastic to glass (2).jpg
    There is a small screw cap for the small decanter bottle so not to evaporate the new lexer aftershave I created. Witch Hazel is ideal for this because it contains some alcohol and other natural ingredients that's good for preserving shelf life.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  17. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Another option is kikkoman soy sauce bottles. The soy sauce bottles come in various shapes and sizes, are not expensive and have the restrictors already that you can reuse. The soy sauce smell is easy to get out of the bottle also. Oh and if you have a hard time reusing your label I have found that with a simple google search you can find easily printable images of original labels that are easy to print and then seal the label in plastic ( some are small enough that a single piece of box tape will wrap over the whole printed label ) then glue the "new" label to your new bottle and the label should last quite a while since its protected.

These bottle come in different sizes but I found this picture online for reference.. I found some big enough to hold a whole bottle of Clubman Pinaud country club bottle which are quite large...

kikkoman_soy_sauce_walmart.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  18. The situational shaver

The situational shaver Well-Known Member

I’ve used Clubman for years, and have never noticed a ‘plastic’ smell.
    But, so many people have said what you said, now I’m wanting to try it myself.
    I just can’t imagine any Clubman product smelling better, but my curiosity is definitely peaked.
    If this actually works, I can only imagine the glory of The Veg.
    I may never leave my bathroom again.

19. Spehmaster.G

Spehmaster.G New Member

Sadly, the reducer in the Penaud bottle is way too small to work with the glass flask; any ideas where to aquire a larger variety, I assume, 20-21mm diameter?

20. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Ebay sells the reducers.