Which Shavette did you use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bama Samurai, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Greetings Shave Fans
    New Stuff November for me

Stirling Sheep
    WCS tall 2tone 24mm synthetic
    Symmetrical Pottery bowl
    Feather DX folder
    Feather Professional Blade (1)
    Brut Splash-On

With a measure of gratitude to those team members serving as Sponsors on the Max Headroom Procurement Advisory Board.... Without you, none of this would have been possible.

Skipped my usual dose of Proraso pre-shave for a lather up and hot towel rinse. Either of which I find a pleasant addition to my shaves.

As per my custom, I like using a Stirling mutton tallow soap for new equipment test shaves. I just haven't seen anything that can top its lather. Sheep has no scent added, but that doesn't mean unscented. For those offended by the stank of a animal fat funk, steer clear. Matter of fact, Scots Pine Sheep will be the follow up for me. I might even go Electric Sheep, but never Port-au-Prince.

For the cereal and soup bowl crowd, skip over this piece at meal time, you won't like the nooks, crannies and bumps that make it perfect for soap whippers. If you are shopping, I saw some nice revisions available, like an upwards extension on the band to hold a brush, and an available lid (handy for stinky soaps). These things are custom made so you can get what you want, but don't expect Walmart pricing.

This bowl is uuuge..... So I had to have a new tall brush to accommodate it. Besides, I needed something to get my Artist Club blade purchase into free shipping.

The Blue Ming was here to oversee the production of suds..... Flawless at that.

Long before I picked up my first straight, I longingly looked at the Feather Artist Club DX tools and walked away empty handed because of the ferocious reputation for cuts or the 'sticker shock'. Then along came a guiding light showing the lower cost path. I wanted a folder for the advantage of a built-in blade guard. Alas it was mine.

With some selection of available blades I went to tryablade.com and ordered 2 of the 'Mongoose samplers'. They have one of everything except the 'Lights'. USPS is still in motion on my delivery a couple of weeks later. Hence the need for the 'order anyhow', which also secured me that cool brush. Sorry for my impatience.

The blade loads easily and falls right in place. I was expecting to see the edge protruding somewhat more. I thought I was opening the Super Professionals which have .2 mm greater exposure, but later noticed I used the Regular Professionals.

The DX is a pleasant and capable Shaver. So far, I don't see a great advantage over my DE shavettes. Because it is machined stainless, it does have a nice heft that is closer to a real straight. I like the file jimps on the bottom of the shank and the long tang. While sizing is similar to my other edge forward tools, the pivoting point makes it the most compact of all. The compact maneuverability helps me get to my most difficult area that I continue to work on, the upper neck sides just under the jaw.

The shave was very good with a quiet alum check. Finished up with my lifetime fav Brut which before wetshaving, was the ONLY name on the Max Headroom List of Most Glorious Stanks. Nowadays, there is competition, but deep down I know that you can never go wrong with Brut.

[​IMG]

2. Edison Carter

First Feather DX shave with a Pro Super blade. A very nice performing combo with what could be considered the top end of replaceable blade straights. Cuts really easy. Gets to that low cutting angle a little better than the regular Pro blades. Certainly a shaving piece one would want to use shaving others. If I was looking for my 'one and only' I'd go a little higher up to the wood scales, these are a bit slick when wet.

Since I'm not in it for the 'one and only' I don't feel bad about pitting it head to head against a DE shavette costing 1/10 as much. This will be fun. My first guess is that the Feather/Feather wins the first couple of rounds, then yields to the Focus/GSB later and in distance.

First shave was very good. Be hard pressed to say I'd shaved with anything better.

Since I'm heading to the hospital tonight for my 3rd successive sleep study I went with the Brut type scent for my pleasant dreams. Although as I'm writing, it occurred to me that I will be hooked up to a positive air pressure device and may not smell much of anything. Either way good performing soap. I like the extra menthol kick in Wholly Kaw, but I like the alcohol / witch hazel / aloe / glycerin base Stirling uses in their splashes better than anything.

I suspected that I have had sleep apnea for a while but seemed to manage it other ways. About a month ago I kept waking up gasping for air and figured it was time to do something about it. Tonight I'll be tested on a dual pressure device. I think they got me running this series for insurance justification on more advanced machines. Last week, I was pretty amazed how well I slept once they got the CPAP dialed in.

Shave on, shave free!

[​IMG]

Chuck Naill and brit like this.
  3. Edison Carter

Round 1-b in my shavette games.

Focus R21 Evolution 1/2 DE
    Feather (1)
    Stirling 2019 BoS & Tuxedo

I decided to go Feather to Feather using this tool vs Feather DX w/Pro Super. And I'm adding the Focus R28 Slim Al 1/2 DE w/GSB.

The first shave with the DX was on a 2 day growth that wound up so close that following up the next day would not have been fair. 2 day growth with the R21 was as anticipated, good but a little toothy. Nothing to compare here, great shaves, but the DX glides in for an easy win.
    Loop
    Unfortunately the R21 is just not good enough to ext the test for a day. Next up, the light weight all aluminum Focus R28.

20191126_073002-1.jpeg
    Shave on, shave free!

Chuck Naill likes this.
  4. Antz

Antz Active Member

@Trigger sorry for the late reply. Actually it’s going pretty good .. hand is getting pretty steady .. a couple of cuts no major mishaps.. still loving it the experience every time. Keeping it simple for the time being with Proraso products and my Focus R21 shavette. Can’t get enough of the red line right now.

However, I did discover a new shave cream that was absolutely amazing. It’s by Reuzel. This stuff is slick, smells amazing as well . The only downside is that you hand lather it . But man does this stuff ever work. Post shave feel is great as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Sounds like you're making excellent progress, Anthony! Keep shaving with your shavette and you will be quite competent. It usually takes 100 shaves to get there. Enjoy the journey, my friend!

Edison Carter likes this.
  6. Trigger

Dovo shavette 20191226_085614.jpg 20191226_085614.jpg

rs_776, Chuck Naill and Leclec13 like this.
  7. Edison Carter

The Shavette Showdown
    Round 2

*Feather DX - Feather Professional Super
    *Focus R21 Evolution plastic doodad barbering tool - 1/2 Feather DE
    *Focus R28 Slim Al - 1/2 Gillette Silver Blue DE

I had to look back in the archives to see when I started this throwdown. It has been a month. Well I think I'll try to finish up this month.

Finished up my first tub of BoS 2019 (Tsuka). Glad I got backups of the #1 slot holder on The Max Headroom List of Most Glorious Stanks. Stirling still has Tsuka left. Max Headroom says don't whine to him if you miss out again.

The Exalted Blue Ming was on hand to oversee the supreme lather controls for the competition.

The only blood on steel showing up was the soap. 3 excellent shaves with a jostle in the works.

I have not experienced any shave at the level of the Feather DX - ProSuper combo on shave 1. Shave #2 still has the DX on top.

My next shave was the all aluminum Focus R28 Slim Al with my pre-AC shavette fave, the GSB. End result was as good as the DX even though it did not sever hair with the same ease. It would be hard to tell the difference between shaves 1 and 2.

Third shave was using my first shavette, the Focus R21 Evolution loaded with a Feather. I'm curious about how Feather AC vs Feather DE would work out. The shave was better than #1 because it seemed to smooth out (not unlike this blade for me elsewhere). Most of the time, the R28 outshaves the R21 just a bit with the same blade. The Feather on (2) makes this one up over for a #2 finish.

[​IMG]

Well folks, happy shaves.

Really great to hear from the folks not seen in a while. Happy New Year to you!

And...... for the newcomers...... you are getting a good glimpse of our great friend, the sometimes incendiary..... 'danger' Charlie........who as a young slide-stick carrying chemical engineering prodigy, was able to "cherry bomb" the High School commode and successfully pin it on his buddies.

rs_776, Chuck Naill, Leclec13 and 2 others like this.
  8. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

9. Trigger

This should be under the What straight razor did you use today? thread.

10. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Yes, I have deleted and reposted on the correct thread.

Trigger likes this.
  11. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Today I used the folding Feather SS with a AC Professional blade. VDH soap and a PAA Atomic Rocket brush were used. So far my experience with the non guarded blade is that it is no more sharp or effective than the Pro Guard.

Edison Carter and Trigger like this.
  12. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

13. Edison Carter

The Shavette Showdown is over.

I think it was after Thanksgiving that I set out to do some side by side shavette comparisons. I finally ended it this week.

It was....

The Japanese made Feather Artist Club DX with a Feather Professional Super loaded up.
    vs
    The enonomy Italian made Focus R21 Evolution with half a Feather DE (for the sidebar Feather throwdown).
    vs
    The unique Italian made Focus R28 Slim Al loaded with the Max Headroom shavette fave GSB.

In the beginning, the DX/Super combo ruled with the ability to sever my facial hair with the greatest of ease. It continued at the top throughout. Somewhere around 3 or 4 things seemed a little rougher which I theorize the point the coating is wearing off. Ultimately it went longer than the other tools. Since I'm not an Excalibarian, I was satisfied at 7 even though sloppy work can still easily get you a sneak peak at some of what's inside that melon on your shoulders. (yeah I did!).

The $14 tool did it's job admirably. For the Feather subcategory, Artist Club wins except for the day the coating was failings. On shave 6, I had to call a reliever from the bullpen after the first pass.

The super light, all aluminum Slim Al with a GSB went a full 6 shaves and was retired with honors. The consistent smoothness of the GSB shines. I use this combo to make quick shaves more than anything.

[​IMG]

This excercise was fun.

It did cause me to realize how much adjusting has to happen to compensate for the wear on replaceable blade shavers.
    True straights are maintained every shave and can go a surprising number of shaves before failing. One guy over in straights is at 75 now with a fine Spanish tool. I did strop the DX after the first pass on #7 and saw improvement, but I won't be doing that.

For the sake of anyone considering taking up the shavette to learn open edge, I'd say changeout after 3. I'm returning to my 4-5 shaves per blade.

Edison Carter reporting for Network 23 or 20 minutes into the future. Shave free.

Chuck Naill and rs_776 like this.
  14. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

All good stuff Thank you for the detailed and insightful report on the Shavette Showdown. It was a joy to read.

Regarding the GSB's, I too have found them to be very forgiving. They have become one of my go-to blades for half-DE shavettes.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

15. Trigger

20200215_083201.jpg 20200215_083201.jpg
    I used my trusty Dovo shavette with a Personna Headshaper Blade.

16. Antz

Antz Active Member

Decided on a low budget old school themed shave .... wish me luck[​IMG]

17. Edison Carter

Good luck!

Is the use of an edge forward shaving device new to you?

18. Antz

Antz Active Member

Hi Edison,

I’ve been using a shavette since October. So not too new . With the help of the great members such as yourself in this forum .. my learning curve has shortened greatly by all your tips and advice . Thanks again to you and all the members. I’ve been loving this way of shaving since day 1

19. Edison Carter

Awesome bro.
    Shave on
    Shave free

20. Edison Carter

Been rolling along doing the Artist Club DX blade trials from the tryablade.com sampler pack.

The standard bearer for me is the Feather Professional Super. I just love the way a light touch does the trick.

[​IMG]

The Schick Proline P was a solid performer I could be if it was my only choice.

Then along came the Feather Light blade. Use it right and like most stuff can deliver a nice shave.
    [​IMG]
    Me?..... I hated it. The reduced width takes away some of the lower angles afforded by the Supers, or any of the others.

The normal width is 8mm, Supers are 8.2mm, and the Lights only 7.4. Here is a photo of Light and Super together.

[​IMG]
    The angle tolerance for shaving is reduced. I would recommend avoid them. I saw no reason to use it again.

Another poor performer for me was the Soft Guard blade. The shrouding has wavy parts that stop short of the edge and are prone to snag in use.
    [​IMG]
    For the 'guarded type' blade I liked the Feather Pro Guard best.

Edison Carter reporting for Network 23 or 20 min into the future.

Chuck Naill likes this.